Review Round 19, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I love watching Joe . He looks like a big goofy kid playing the game he loves .
I can forgive him his stuff ups because he is fun to watch 👌

Joe is the guy that has a kick after the siren from 10 metres out directly in front to win the Grand Final.....and misses!!!

In an alternative universe, he's also the guy that has a ridiculous running shot for goal from the boundary 60 metres out with 1 second left in the GF.....and it sails right through the middle post high to get you a one point win

Either of these events is equally as likely as the other.

Joe makes life interesting.

Last edited:

fugitive

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Joe is a taller skinnier Akermanis

Not even close, Aker’s strength was kicking goals on the burst and he could do it on both his left and right from impossible angles. I remember going to lions training near Melbourne’s Albert park in our haydays and was always surprised how well Aker could kick for his size watching from ground level. Joe is more of an opportunist in front of goal, not that elegant IMO but effective.

Just need McStay to take all the set shots 25m out directly in front

Remember when we cringed every time McStay lined up for a shot?

I loved Joe's obvious delight with the karate kick goal. I'll remember that long after I've forgotten the ones he missed. It's on my repeat video list for when I have dementia - every time it plays I'll get the same smile as I did the first time.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
If we're comparing Joe to Aker we're horribly short on topics to discuss.

Or trying to test our argumentative capacities.
We are short on topics and could our magnificent moderators please put up the changes thread? I'm locked down (did remove a tooth and an implant today so it hasn't been a total loss), stuck at home and completely bored.

Here's my first change.

I would drop Birchall, move McStay to half back and bring in Balladen.

McStay quicker than Rich(everyone's quicker than Birchall) but not as long, but just as good a kick.

We are short on topics and could our magnificent moderators please put up the changes thread? I'm locked down (did remove a tooth and an implant today so it hasn't been a total loss), stuck at home and completely bored.
My suggestion would be to use the preview thread like the rest of us. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
My suggestion would be to use the preview thread like the rest of us. :D

Oops, I didn't realise we were playing the Hawks

Ray Button

All Australian
Oct 15, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting Coaches votes:

Oscar: 5, 5
Lyons: 4, 3
Linc: 4, 1
Lugga: 3
Touk: 2
Harris: 2
Rich: 1

Apparently neither coach considered Mitch's effort vote-worthy. I reckon he was worth BOG for his aggression and team effort in the first half when so many others were still in second gear (against all 25 of the opposition ;)).

Fages may have put something in their cordial at half time, but it was Mitch who showed them what they should have been doing all along!

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting Coaches votes:

Oscar: 5, 5
Lyons: 4, 3
Linc: 4, 1
Lugga: 3
Touk: 2
Harris: 2
Rich: 1

Apparently neither coach considered Mitch's effort vote-worthy. I reckon he was worth BOG for his aggression and team effort in the first half when so many others were still in second gear (against all 25 of the opposition ;)).

Fages may have put something in their cordial at half time, but it was Mitch who showed them what they should have been doing all along!
His disposal lets him down sometimes, understandable because he's probably gassed by the time he tries to get rid of it. Mind you Lyons disposal was ordinary by his standards as well , albeit he won a lot of hard contests.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was working so didn't get to watch the game live. Knew the score before watching so that changes the way you view the game.

We weren't as horrible as I was expecting in that first half.

Quite a bit of talk in the media how we have to work on not letting teams get a run of goals against us. Well, you keep missing simple set shots at goal thats gonna be tough lol.

We were terrible yesterday at not capitalising on so many simple chances at goal. That immediately changes the game if we nail the simple ones like we should. On top of that the way we moved the ball inside our forward 50 was abysmal. Reminded me how we were playing early in the year with very little cohesion. We're certainly giving ourselves enough inside 50 entries.

And the Suns weren't terrible in the 2nd half. The just didn't have the tank to maintain the same level of pressure and running. Then when we pulled level after they had played a good first half their heads dropped.

Our big problems moving forward are if we don't have either Adams or Gardiner back for finals and we're not dominating the midfield battle then we're not going to be able to stop the good teams scoring.

The other problem is when Lyons is well held, we just don't win the midfield battle the same way we can still seem to if Neale is well held. In time we can address that, but maybe not in five weeks time.

Also, did we clone Clug at half time? Was everywhere in the 2nd.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
His disposal lets him down sometimes, understandable because he's probably gassed by the time he tries to get rid of it. Mind you Lyons disposal was ordinary by his standards as well , albeit he won a lot of hard contests.

Unbelievable that Robbo's efforts went unrecognised by both coaches.

I had him third best on ground at worst

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Unbelievable that Robbo's efforts went unrecognised by both coaches.

I had him third best on ground at worst
His direct opponent was Sharp who was instrumental in the Suns efforts in the first half. Robbo's job isn't any different to others in the 22 and defense is a big part of that.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was working so didn't get to watch the game live. Knew the score before watching so that changes the way you view the game.

We weren't as horrible as I was expecting in that first half.

Quite a bit of talk in the media how we have to work on not letting teams get a run of goals against us. Well, you keep missing simple set shots at goal thats gonna be tough lol.

We were terrible yesterday at not capitalising on so many simple chances at goal. That immediately changes the game if we nail the simple ones like we should. On top of that the way we moved the ball inside our forward 50 was abysmal. Reminded me how we were playing early in the year with very little cohesion. We're certainly giving ourselves enough inside 50 entries.

And the Suns weren't terrible in the 2nd half. The just didn't have the tank to maintain the same level of pressure and running. Then when we pulled level after they had played a good first half their heads dropped.

Our big problems moving forward are if we don't have either Adams or Gardiner back for finals and we're not dominating the midfield battle then we're not going to be able to stop the good teams scoring.

The other problem is when Lyons is well held, we just don't win the midfield battle the same way we can still seem to if Neale is well held. In time we can address that, but maybe not in five weeks time.

Also, did we clone Clug at half time? Was everywhere in the 2nd.
Your take on the game is the same as mine. Only watched the game on replay knowing the result and with no emotion so saw it more clinically. Agree with all that you have said.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the commentators barracking front. I think it's just human nature especially in the back end of the season when you have a bunch of cellar dwellers that are trying to prove themselves, but who are not in finals contention.

When we were s**t I distinctly remember commentators barracking for us, laughing and cheering when we got close etc.. think back 'Pademoniam at the Gabba' etc

It only natural for a focus to go on the lesser team, a lower team challanging the good side is the only real narrative within the game worth focusing on if they are not in finals contention, it's only natural.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the commentators barracking front. I think it's just human nature especially in the back end of the season when you have a bunch of cellar dwellers that are trying to prove themselves, but who are not in finals contention.

When we were sh*t I distinctly remember commentators barracking for us, laughing and cheering when we got close etc.. think back 'Pademoniam at the Gabba' etc

It only natural for a focus to go on the lesser team, a lower team challanging the good side is the only real narrative within the game worth focusing on if they are not in finals contention, it's only natural.

I recall the sorts of commentary we got and it used to really annoy me.
Was usually a Dermott Brereton saying something like “good boy, really really well done there by the kid” to a run of the mill contest by one of our players.
I found it a bit patronising.

But I suppose anything that anyone said when we were 10 goals down would annoy me to be honest..

Back