Rumour Carlton to enter mini-rebuild. Teague to be sacked. Weitering to be captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City

I believe the rumour originated somewhere else on BigFooty.

Edit: OP was here:

Last edited:
So much of this is very believable (I guess that's the bare minimum required of any good rumour). The issues I have are surrounding list management
  • Why give the boot to LOB? At worst, sign him on a rookie contract.
  • Why payout Marchbank when you have Plowman playing seniors? Unless his knee is well and truly cooked, surely you'd again keep him around on small contract in the hopes he replaces Plowman when fit.
  • Why ship off Fisher? Such a knee-jerk reaction, and you'd get next to nothing for him and SPS as it stands.
  • Why field offers for Williams and Saad when you literally just recruited them? Does nothing to help the rebuild knowing they've been massively devalued this year. Any sane person would back them in to return to form over the next couple of years when they hope Carlton would be anything resembling competitive again

I don't know either way personally, but the bones of this was suggested on the Blues board over the weekend (including the webex call, very specific) and shot down by others. Been a few more layers added in this version.

Some bits, like Weiters captain, have been going around for a fair while too.

Sceptical myself, but stranger things have happened.

So much of this is very believable (I guess that's the bare minimum required of any good rumour). The issues I have are surrounding list management
  • Why give the boot to LOB? At worst, sign him on a rookie contract.
  • Why payout Marchbank when you have Plowman playing seniors? Unless his knee is well and truly cooked, surely you'd again keep him around on small contract in the hopes he replaces Plowman when fit.
  • Why ship off Fisher? Such a knee-jerk reaction, and you'd get next to nothing for him and SPS as it stands.
  • Why field offers for Williams and Saad when you literally just recruited them? Does nothing to help the rebuild knowing they've been massively devalued this year. Any sane person would back them in to return to form over the next couple of years when they hope Carlton would be anything resembling competitive again

IMO:

LOB - Will be delisted. No one likes to see their first rounders fail, but he's shown very little in 4 years and hasn't played since Round 1. Might get the Kennedy treatment, but I get the impression the club just doesn't rate him highly and can't see where the improvement is going to come from. I'd like to see him get a couple of games to try to salvage his career though - Cottrell needs to dropped on form, and I could see LOB replacing him.

Marchbank - Reckon he'll be retained on a 1-year contract given our lack of defensive depth.

Fisher - We'd prefer to retain him, but I'm certain WA clubs would want him and I think his value would be higher this year as a contracted player than next year when he is out of contract. More 'expendable for the right price' than guaranteed to leave, but would not surprise if he requests a trade also.

Williams and Saad - May as well add in Martin and McGovern. Believe the Saad trade stuff is BS, other than the review is going to determine Austin flaked on the trade. As the only durable player of that set of mercenaries he will certainly stay and his form has also been good this year. The others aren't making or breaking the squad and we will be open-minded about trading if the right offer comes. I get the feeling we'd be comfortable trading McGovern for almost anything to get his heinous contract off our books.

IMO:

LOB - Will be delisted. No one likes to see their first rounders fail, but he's shown very little in 4 years and hasn't played since Round 1. Might get the Kennedy treatment, but I get the impression the club just doesn't rate him highly and can't see where the improvement is going to come from. I'd like to see him get a couple of games to try to salvage his career though - Cottrell needs to dropped on form, and I could see LOB replacing him.

Marchbank - Reckon he'll be retained on a 1-year contract given our lack of defensive depth.

Fisher - We'd prefer to retain him, but I'm certain WA clubs would want him and I think his value would be higher this year as a contracted player than next year when he is out of contract. More 'expendable for the right price' than guaranteed to leave, but would not surprise if he requests a trade also.

Williams and Saad - May as well add in Martin and McGovern. Believe the Saad trade stuff is BS, other than the review is going to determine Austin flaked on the trade. As the only durable player of that set of mercenaries he will certainly stay and his form has also been good this year. The others aren't making or breaking the squad and we will be open-minded about trading if the right offer comes. I get the feeling we'd be comfortable trading McGovern for almost anything to get his heinous contract off our books.
Thought McGovern's contract was up at the end of this year or next but it is actually 2023!?!?!?
I personally think that if he, Harry and Charlie can get on the park together he would complement the other two, which would have been the plan, but I think they have all played only 3 or 4 games together in the last 3 years so we haven't seen how it would all work, not that Bruce would be able to map a working plan for them to use anyway.

As for the rest, if any of it is true, tell all of the kids that potentially have a line through them what the deal is and then let them play, see what they can do before pulling the pin, we could do with LOBS speed for sure but needs to show he can play.

As for the rest I guess we wait and see but I would like to keep Power and O'Keefe, they at least appear to have made progress.

Happy to see the back of Liddle though, seems like a snake with the way he got SoS moved on, he had a plan for the list, quite a few have worked out but some haven't too, but if Kemp and Stocker work out to be guns, which I think they will be, then I say he did a good job, even though others would disagree.

I guess we wait and see.....

I don't know either way personally, but the bones of this was suggested on the Blues board over the weekend (including the webex call, very specific) and shot down by others. Been a few more layers added in this version.

Some bits, like Weiters captain, have been going around for a fair while too.

Sceptical myself, but stranger things have happened.
It's word for word what was posted on the Carlton forum :roflv1:

It's word for word what was posted on the Carlton forum :roflv1:

My memory must be failing, didn't realise it was word for word. From an account created the same day too, interesting.

The review panel consisted of Pavlich, Geoff Walsh and a leadership consultant in Graham Lowe.

It was a management/structure review.
Are people seriously suggesting those 3 are making list management decisions?
Do people really think that group have sat down and analysed performance, player by player?

All of those list changes might occur but it won't be because of recommendations from that trio.

I can confirm the bit a about Carlton trying to snaffle a big player.
They were sniffing around Oliver last year, but they’re after Petracca now.
Gonna need to hand over more than Paddy Wow and a couple of seconds for him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps is "Hollywood"

Legit struggled and hated playing outside reciever football, Plays his best game playing inside and winning the ball and happy to defer and is currently doing a lot of defensive work to help block for Sam Walsh rather then be "The guy" while playing injured to help the blues

GTFO out.

Is Oliver gettable? Can’t see Petracca going anywhere
I wouldn't have thought so

Is playing top level football in a team up the top of the ladder

But then again who really knows?

I love the way the rumour flip flops between using 'we' and 'they'. The writer forgot to decide what perspective they were going to write it from.
Also loved referring to Geoff Walsh as "the Collingwood bloke'. He was recruiting manager at Carlton from 1986 to 1994 and also spent time at Fitzroy and North.

We're expected to believe they are going to announce Weitering as captain in the next few weeks (no mention of Docherty, which an insider would NOT miss). Is he taking over the captaincy before the season ends? If he's taking over the captaincy from next year, there's no way that's announced before the current season ends.
But wait... Weiters is too quiet for the job long-term and is just keeping the seat warm for Walsh. Anyone who watches Weiters on the ground would know he is a solid leader and very vocal. Even without being the captain. He handles the media brilliantly and is very well spoken. Also seemed to do a brilliant job the other week against the Pies with Cripps and Doc both out.

Pyke is very well liked by the review team... wait! I thought they were reviewing the Carlton football department, not prospective coaches?
Why would Pyke coming on board mean that Eddie won't be an assistant? I'm assuming this means Betts? First I've heard anything about him becoming an assistant. There's been talk of him having an off-field role at the club, but it was more likely to be as a mentoring type thing or Indigenous player welfare side of things (something Andrew Walker did briefly after retiring).

AFL wants us to take Brad Scott? Didn't he only recently start a role at AFL headquarters? Is he that good at his newly appointed role that they can't wait to offload him?

Trading Saad, Williams and Martin after just getting them in? Pure fiction.

Interesting that Carroll (two Ls) is mentioned to debut, but not Ramsay.

Just too many inconsistencies.
Whoever wrote it is trying to push it far and wide too. BigFooty, Reddit, Text.

Last edited:
If true sounds like a fire-sale about to begin.

If so, and they put the above-mentioned players on the market, there's no way they are going to get anywhere near market value.
Wrong, they will get "market value", that's what the market currently rates them, not what overblown amount Carlton paid for them and is paying them.

Yep, looks like a good start. Clear out the list put those accountable players in charge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back