Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Bramble looks very promising.

Disagree on newcombe. Has some positives but unfortunately appears extremely slow for me, and we are the last team that can carry a lack of leg speed through the middle.

Hope im wrong.
We still have 2-3 years to make an athlete out of Jai so let’s see how he develops over that time, at least we are starting with a good base.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Disagree on newcombe. Has some positives but unfortunately appears extremely slow for me, and we are the last team that can carry a lack of leg speed through the middle.

Hope im wrong.
I think we've gotta remember with Newc that he had literally no preseason and has played his games less than a week into the AFL training regime. I reckon he'll be fine.

Hope im wrong.
Nah he's not slow. Quick enough and will get more explosive over the years.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have tended to drop our young players after a poor outing (Jeka, Newcombe, Brockman earlier in the year). I would be disappointed if we continued down that path the remainder of this season. DGB strikes me as the type of guy for whom next week couldn't come soon enough and the type who will learn a lot more from challenging nights like Saturday than going back to VFL practice matches. Needs to be kept in. Brockman too, who also struggled on Saturday.

We have tended to drop our young players after a poor outing (Jeka, Newcombe, Brockman earlier in the year). I would be disappointed if we continued down that path the remainder of this season. DGB strikes me as the type of guy for whom next week couldn't come soon enough and the type who will learn a lot more from challenging nights like Saturday than going back to VFL practice matches. Needs to be kept in. Brockman too, who also struggled on Saturday.
DGB had a terrible night but not from a lack of trying. Jeka and Brockman not so much

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Needs a big off season in the gym.

Is fitness an issue? Looks really spent after a few efforts. Got to keep him out there to build that, then a big pre-season
100% fitness is an issue, he's been injured for a good chunk of this season so missed a lot of conditioning time in his first season.
Same can be said for Newcombe & i'd suggest that we are going to strip some weight off of him this coming preseason.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Love the behind the goals vision. This is the type of stuff that gets players games, and stuff the common supporter doesn't see.
In this day and age we ought to have access to this vision. Can’t stand all the zoom right in vision we get now. So hard to tell what is actually happening in the game.

Gut ran all the way from his disappointing pre-season time trial to save that goal. Heart and a half.

A first year player setting an example for the whole playing group.
I like it.

Denver Grainger-Barras
“Denver’s ability to read the ball in the air was again a strength, he was able to break out of congestion on occasion and give us composed ball use. He had a difficult match-up on a very good player in Sam Weideman, and didn’t lower his colours.”

Back