Review Dogs defeat melbourne 85-65 - Round 19, 2021

Don't think it's been mentioned but did you notice Gawn's reaction to Cody's mark. There is an initial wtf, followed by a wry smile. 😆

He thought, not again :D

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This game felt like the Geelong game in 2016 where it really felt like Bevo set us up for it with big preparation.

everything went wrong that night but we showed our character.

a bit went wrong this time, but we once again showed our unity and strength and it’s great we got the choccies

This game felt like the Geelong game in 2016 where it really felt like Bevo set us up for it with big preparation.

everything went wrong that night but we showed our character.

a bit went wrong this time, but we once again showed our unity and strength and it’s great we got the choccies

Maybe because it was wet, it reminded me of the 2015 game against Swans.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
So, to sum up On the Couch tonight.

'Dogs...***crickets***...so...

'How freakin good are Geelong?. They are the flag favourites, they're are so ridiculously awesome.

'How did Melbourne lose? What's happening there? (sullen Lyon)'

Raging Brownlow favourite pulls out another dominant performance - not a word.

Most underrated top side heading into Round 20 in history (Sorry, Healy did give us a mention - he referred to 'Daniels'. Following on from his years of calling Matthew Boyd, Brad Boyd 🙄

Bont wins the Brownlow, the discussion OTC will be 'So...how unlucky was Wines/Oliver/Petracca etc?'

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Haven't tuned into OTC for 3 months. First crack is better.

Agree. First Crack attempts to be different although Montagna joins the group of ex Saints in media who overestimates his appeal and contributions to analysis. But at least they give every game a crack. Monday night is just rinse and repeat agreed upon talking points using the same 6 clips showing losing teams doing the same things that winning teams also do but not as much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
A lot of people on here were calling for Baz to be dropped a month or so ago. His last five rounds have gone

31 touches, 5 tackles, 2.2 goals vs WC

16 touches, 3 tackles vs North

27 touches, 3 tackles, 1.1 vs Sydney

33 touches, 4 tackles vs GC

26 touches, 9 tackles, 1.1 vs Melb.

What a player. I think when Treloar gets back in he’ll lose a few inside mid minutes and they’ll almost reverse roles compared to earlier in the year.

Dunkley and Treloar still to add to this midfield is insane!
How do you think our midfield stacks up against Geelong atm. They are the flavour of the month. I think the Geelong midfield are old and slow. any opinions?

How do you think our midfield stacks up against Geelong atm. They are the flavour of the month. I think the Geelong midfield are old and slow. any opinions?

I think they match up on our V6 midfield, but they won’t when we get Treloar and Dunks back - the V8.

We have to find a way to counteract Stewart, he killed us.

All year we've been paranoid that something would happen to Keath. Early in the year I called him the player we can least afford to lose.

When he walked off with a hamstring strain halfway through the first quarter there was pretty much a universal feeling of "oh well, there's goes the match and possibly the season". The GD thread was typically much more direct with a lot of "we're f*cked" comments.

So I'm not sure what to make of it. Did our defence rise to the occasion and play out of their skins once Keath went down? Or have we been massively under-rating the effectiveness of our defensive system?

Whatever it was, kudos to the lot of them.

And a special shout out to Schache who wouldn't have spent a lot of time practising with that unit - and zero match time with them before this game.
At best only the last few weeks at training.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All year we've been paranoid that something would happen to Keath. Early in the year I called him the player we can least afford to lose.

When he walked off with a hamstring strain halfway through the first quarter there was pretty much a universal feeling of "oh well, there's goes the match and possibly the season". The GD thread was typically much more direct with a lot of "we're f*cked" comments.

So I'm not sure what to make of it. Did our defence rise to the occasion and play out of their skins once Keath went down? Or have we been massively under-rating the effectiveness of our defensive system?

And a special shout out to Schache who wouldn't have spent a lot of time practising with that unit - and zero match time with them before this game.
All true DW. Kudos has to also go to backline coach Rohan Smith.

Reckon he goes a little under appreciated.

Somehow pieced together a Premiership backline over 2015-16 with some (respectfully) modest talent such as Roberts, Hamling and Biggs, and despite losing leader Bob Murphy.

Took up a development role 2017-19 and moved back into the defensive position in 2020.

Since then has lost his best player Naughton to the forward line and Daniel is spending more time in the mids, but he slots them in and makes it work.

Even if Schache doesn't work out ultimately, getting him up to speed to be competent at game one within the system in a very short period reflects well on both.

Smith's record reads damn well. For a local boy turned 300 gamer, he rarely gets mentioned amongst our all time Bulldog legends, but his list of achievements at the club really is hard to knock and still growing.

Don't think it's been mentioned but did you notice Gawn's reaction to Cody's mark. There is an initial wtf, followed by a wry smile. 😆
I noticed him smiling earlier when Timmy ? did something good. Nice.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Keath has been excellent but it’s ours system which is our strength and it’s the whole team defence that’s important. This means there are role players whose stats will not reflect what they are doing. Fortunately our MC do even if it’s not always apparent to the fans

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Every week I run by this house on Canterbury Road in Albert Park which displays a huge Melbourne FC flag after a win. Only noticed it this year when it was on display for something like 10 consecutive weeks.

Ran by the same house this afternoon and there was just a bare pole…😀

Attachments

• CD5DCEF0-48F4-493D-BD61-428D6F9B89D3.jpeg
    CD5DCEF0-48F4-493D-BD61-428D6F9B89D3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 87
Dec 26, 2005
Park Orchards
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ParkOrchards FC. Mitch-Scot Cycling
I think they match up on our V6 midfield, but they won’t when we get Treloar and Dunks back - the V8.

We have to find a way to counteract Stewart, he killed us.

Wood and Keath come back. Maybe Gardener and Young are hovering as well.

As much as I stick up for the guy in defence, does Zaine Cordy get moved up the ground in a scenario such as this, purely as a defensive forward? He gets bagged by many on this forum (which shits me) but Bevo's a fan for sure. He's physical, doesn't mind the contest and would happily crash packs containing guys like Stewart, Tuhoy, Henderson etc. He has his shortcoming no doubt, but he also has a loose cannon vibe about him. I reckon most of the boys would love having him lurking about.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wood and Keath come back. Maybe Gardener and Young are hovering as well.

As much as I stick up for the guy in defence, does Zaine Cordy get moved up the ground in a scenario such as this, purely as a defensive forward? He gets bagged by many on this forum (which shits me) but Bevo's a fan for sure. He's physical, doesn't mind the contest and would happily crash packs containing guys like Stewart, Tuhoy, Henderson etc. He has his shortcoming no doubt, but he also has a loose cannon vibe about him. I reckon most of the boys would love having him lurking about.
We don’t need Cordy as a defensive forward. Which tall forward do you drop for him? He did a role in 2016 but there’s no place for him forward with our current list.

Every week I run by this house on Canterbury Road in Albert Park which displays a huge Melbourne FC flag after a win. Only noticed it this year when it was on display for something like 10 consecutive weeks.

Ran by the same house this afternoon and there was just a bare pole…😀
That house looks so much like the house that I grew up in in Chicago until I was 9 and we moved to the suburbs 60 years ago.

Back