Can Robert Harvey coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

you aim for more but lets be realistic. From 2011-2020. Only 6 Teams won flags: Richmond x3, Hawthorn x3, Geelong x1, Sydney x1, West Coast x1 & Western Bulldogs x1.
Yes, but add those six to Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS and Freo - who all played in Grand Finals - more than half the teams in the AFL and having been runners up is pretty ho hum.

I believe he writes on his hand before games WWBD.

What would Buckley do.

Nothings changed.
It doesn’t totally surprise me. Maybe a tweak here or there, but he has been Buckley’s assistant from pretty much the beginning.

What would Buckley do.

Nothings changed.

Not necessarily …

… list of Senior Coaches that Robert Harvey has been directly exposed to:

Darrel Baldock
Ken Sheldon
Stan Alves
Tim Watson
Malcolm Blight
Grant Thomas
Ross Lyon
Brett Ratten
Nathan Buckley

That’s quite a body of influence.

Yes, but add those six to Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS and Freo - who all played in Grand Finals - more than half the teams in the AFL and having been runners up is pretty ho hum.
We have the 6th best average ladder position if im not mistaken from 2011 to 2020. Pretty good if you ask me.

There seems to be three pretty clear components to this one.

The first is that he knows he’s not going to get the senior job he’s taken on the caretaker role to further his opportunities elsewhere. It’s a wise move because it’s win win for him we’re 3-9 so if we go 2-7 on the run home people will just say “they were sh*t anyway what more could he do” and if he goes 5-4 he looks the goods.

Harvey will coach the team with an eye to 2022 which will mean kids and an easing of the defensive mindset. Realistically with nothing to lose we’re more likely to see the group exhibit more flair and play more freely. I believe we’ll see more of what Buckley’s ultimate vision was, but not for full games. The flip side will be that once we’re out of a contest the floodgates will open. The Geelong game is the perfect example under Harvey we probably get blown away in the second half.

If Wright is determining team selection we might as well put him in as the interim coach and put him in charge of each line. Nothing should change on that front except Buckley is no longer on match committee.

We're identical under Harvey as we were under Bucks it seems to me. I was expecting to see a loosening of the shackles but I'm not seeing it.

We're identical under Harvey as we were under Bucks it seems to me. I was expecting to see a loosening of the shackles but I'm not seeing it.

I thought v Fremantle we were very different. From that we tried to correct and went overboard and I suspect the Fremantle standard will be what we see moving forward, but ultimately we don’t have a big enough sample size to definitive.

There's a good chance that by the end of today, Richmond will think Robert Harvey is a great coach - for all the wrong reasons.

Not much difference, but on tv, I get the impression we're applying more pressure around the ball. Our patterns suggest to me that we are doing that by the wingers not holding their spacing to the same degree that they did under Bucks - hence Poulter getting dropped because he's not getting the wide open kicks in space and thus struggled. I could obviously be imagining it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um, Um, Um, Um, Harvey is no word-smith.
Hopefully he can coach though, honestly have no idea, he's got more charisma and is more articulate than Clarkson so who knows.
I watched Clarko’s post match presser on the weekend. From a 30 second clip…he had 8 Um’s.
So I guess we can’t judge coaching ability on their oratory skills or lack there of.
The PR performance of coaches is greatly overrated (as an important or necessary skill).

The team going so badly that you get moved on mid-season shouldn't be seen as a negative?
But we werent going that badly. Buckley had already turned a corner with us that we were 2-2 in his last 4 games once we started to get some players back from injury with the 2 losses coming against 2 top 6 sides and beating the premiership favourites.

I thought there was some type of debate that Justin Longmuir was the reason for our 2018 & 2019 campaigns.

Thoughts on Freo's 3 goals last night?

Nice to see Harvey get a win, especially against the Tiggers. Sign him up for five....
No! Now I can see why he has not been able to get a senior coaching gig elsewhere since he joined Collingwood in October, 2011; yes nearly 10 years!. Moreover he says nothing of any meaning or substance at his Post-Game press conferences. Simply a collage of meaningless platitudes!,!
Also not the most articulate coach going round. Will not be at the club in 2022. Goodnight & good luck.

What would Buckley do.

Nothings changed.
No! Now I can see why he has not been able to get a coaching gig elsewhere since he joined Clingwoid in October, 2011. Moreover he say

I've actually liked what I have seen so far.
Should he be our next coach?
No way.
Nothing to do with coaching.
He is approx the same age as me.
Have a look at his hair.
As a man who is follicly challenged it pisses me off that the guy has a head of hair that I haven't seen since my 20's.
Piss him off and bring in a balding coach.

No! Now I can see why he has not been able to get a senior coaching gig elsewhere since he joined Collingwood in October, 2011; yes nearly 10 years!. Moreover he says nothing of any meaning or substance at his Post-Game press conferences. Simply a collage of meaningless platitudes!,!

I think the club needs new ideas so I agree that we need a new person at the helm next year but this is an unrealistic expectation of a coach. Malthouse gave the media nothing, which is roughly what Lethal gave them.

I was and remain a Buckley fan. He was a great media performer but I'm enjoying the way the team is playing under Harvey infinitely more.

Unlike the follically challenged ottoman I hold no envy for Harvey's hair and strongly feel that a guy living in the 2020s should not have the same hairstyle he had in the 90s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back