News Grand Final at the Craypot

Remove this Banner Ad

At the very least, it’s a contingency they’re planning for. AFL has booked out Joondalup Resort for all of Sept.

It’d make sense, if Victoria isn’t back to at least 60 per cent capacity by the end of Sept - and that looks unlikely - then Optus will be the biggest venue available.

I can see us playing away to Sydney at Kardinya Park in week 1.
Im hoping for away against Port. But looking like away against Brisbane or Sydney. Not sure where Sydney game would be played though.

Vic will allow for a full GF at this rate frankly now they are easing restrictions.
Yep - the AFL and Vic Gov have very strong links and there is plenty of evidence that they are willing to be lenient on crowds to make sure they keep up with other states. They've had two outbreaks at the MCG (technically one was in the MCC but close enough) and are still quite lenient on having crowds. Imagine if that happened in Perth, McGowan would probably ban crowds for 6 months just to be safe!

The only way I see it coming to Perth is if Melbourne has another snap lockdown in late August and Perth doesn't. As it stands, I'd rather the MCG host if it means we don't have any more lockdowns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah suspect this is a "just in case the "just in case" doesnt work out" move. Cant see the Vics backing it unless they have literally no other choice. Adelaide Oval would probably be in front of us.

Wouldn't have even been decided yet
Just contingencies.
we are probably 7th on their list of contingencies.
Yeah suspect this is a "just in case the "just in case" doesnt work out" move. Cant see the Vics backing it unless they have literally no other choice. Adelaide Oval would probably be in front of us.

The talk was strong enough to make this very long time board member start booking flights for his family.
We'll find our soon I suppose. Fingers crossed as it'd be brilliant.

The talk was strong enough to make this very long time board member to start booking flights for his family.
We'll find our soon I suppose. Fingers crossed as it'd be brilliant.
Would love for you to be right (and for us to make it and win the Bradbury-est premiership of all time). Like im talking "thump an undefeated Geelong in front of 60K screaming Eagles supporters" levels of Bradbury.

The only way we get it is if Victoria have to go back into lockdown. Andrews would 100% lift the crowd restrictions if they would make Melbourne lose the GF.
Yep and we're all assuming there is no Perth lockdown that could derail things. There seems to be regular hotel quarantine or hospital stuff ups here, just today they had one where two people used a lift twice that had just transported a COVID positive patient in the hospital.

The biggest obstacle is that any lockdown here would mean zero crowds for 4 or 5 days. It's a huge risk to take.

I'll hold my excitement until it actually happens.

Whately on 360 reckons the most likely scenario at this stage is it's in Perth
Could easily be baiting thr Victorian Government. They did this after the lockdown in May/June to put pressure to allow crowds back.

I'll wait until late August before getting excited.

If it is in Perth, I'm paying whatever price to get in. I've dropped $2k to go to other GFs (by the time I've paid for an overpriced ticket package and flights), so I'm sure it will be a lot less given it's only three train stops from home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back