Prediction Round 20: Changes Vs Richmond + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
3 weeks at home barring COVIDiddling, the club will want to make a statement and get some buy in from supporters.

4 games to go and not ruled out just yet, put up a decent performance against Richmond and we may crack 30k+. Club really, really needs this season to end differently than the limp noodle express we've had the past 5 seasons.

Hard to see at the moment as you'd imagine Tigers, Wet Toast and Brisbane all finding another gear pushing for finals and us falling over our feet to get there.

Play the kids? What kids? That literally means giving NOD a go, that's it. Western another run if he's available.
It’s going to be a depressing end I’m afraid. Unless Lobb comes back and Pearce is okay with Treacy okay. Can’t see where other improvement comes from.
Would be great to have Valente debuting, NOD fit and ready and Western. But none of them are close to AFL level apart from Valente but he’s out anyway.
Lots to ponder in off season. Learnt a lot of the mid/bottom tier players. Another big delisting/trading of players.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
3 weeks at home barring COVIDiddling, the club will want to make a statement and get some buy in from supporters.

4 games to go and not ruled out just yet, put up a decent performance against Richmond and we may crack 30k+. Club really, really needs this season to end differently than the limp noodle express we've had the past 5 seasons.

Hard to see at the moment as you'd imagine Tigers, Wet Toast and Brisbane all finding another gear pushing for finals and us falling over our feet to get there.

Play the kids? What kids? That literally means giving NOD a go, that's it. Western another run if he's available.
To me Kids would imply getting more games into

Treacy
Walker
Young
Henry

Rather see them than

Colyer ( I do like him but he hasn’t been great for a few games now)
Tucker
Conca
Schultz ( again I usually back him but he was turd on Sunday)

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

Regardless who is out injured. Even if Both fyfe and Walters are out with injury, I somehow expect, for some strange reason expect to get a win in one of the nest 3 perth stadium games.

I dont think Brisbane will be the one. Richmond or west coast are beatable.

Playing the youth wont mean much even if freos finals chances end this weekend if we lose to richmond.

Dont mind giving NOD a go.

Again as I posted, I am happy Western got an afl debut game, even though it was a 4 disposal game vs the suns. He got a taste of AFL footy. I wont be upset if Western doesnt get another game this season. He is only 18 years old. He has time on his side. Give him the off season to build up his endurance. He was taken at pick 54, I dont expect him to get a Brownlow Medal in 4-5 years time.

Brandon walker has already notched up 6 AFL games in his debut season and I would of been happy if he got 1 or 2 games this season.

Hayden young played 5 games in his debut season last year.

came back in the 1st 3 rounds this season and had 2 solid games before getting injured again.

Young got 13 disposals on the weekend.

Saying that, If Darcy is sore, Play meek for the last 4 games of the season.

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wouldn't mind seeing Tucker having a go in the midfield against Richmond frankly... see how he goes giving one of our key mids a chop out.

I can't recall him being played as an inside mid anytime recently, and with Valente away from the club he might relish a chance to show his wares in there.

Dunno if this is a good idea or not as he might be too slow with decision making or by foot - I'm just curious to see if he could find another gear and surprise us... he's wasted in defense.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
To me Kids would imply getting more games into

Treacy
Walker
Young
Henry

Rather see them than

Colyer ( I do like him but he hasn’t been great for a few games now)
Tucker
Conca
Schultz ( again I usually back him but he was turd on Sunday)

I would consider Schulz as one of the younger players we should get games into as well

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't want to give up on finals yet with three games lined up at home. I know the quality of the opposition but you never know. For that reason I would hold off on O'Driscoll and Western for this week.

Acres seemed to play well on the weekend and didn't sulk. I'd bring him in and Blakely should get first crack at the mids in Fyfe's absence. Crowden takes Walters position in the forward line. Banfield comes out of the team with Treacy coming back in.

In: Acres, Blakely, Treacy
Out: Walters, Fyfe, Banfield (sub)

I don't want to give up on finals yet with three games lined up at home. I know the quality of the opposition but you never know. For that reason I would hold off on O'Driscoll and Western for this week.

Acres seemed to play well on the weekend and didn't sulk. I'd bring him in and Blakely should get first crack at the mids in Fyfe's absence. Crowden takes Walters position in the forward line. Banfield comes out of the team with Treacy coming back in.

In: Acres, Blakely, Treacy
Out: Walters, Fyfe, Banfield (sub)
Would much rather move banfield to the midfield for Fyfe and keep Blakely as Sub, I do not trust blakelys disposal efficiency he will cost us the game of his own stupidity

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Would much rather move banfield to the midfield for Fyfe and keep Blakely as Sub, I do not trust blakelys disposal efficiency he will cost us the game of his own stupidity
Banfield won’t ever be in the midfield for Freo, that’s guaranteed. Not sure why but just get that feeling from the coach.
Blakely deserves a few full games

Shoeless Joe

Team Captain
May 22, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would like to see Henry have some time on the wing...He went there for a short while when the game was over vs Sydney and showed some of his silky skills when he had some room to move..bloody hard gig trying to get a kick in our forward line

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Henry would do well to have a spell at peel. Bring western in for a couple of games & he will build.
Western is going to produce less than Henry at this level, hold off one more week to see if we can get a win, if we drop this one then finals are done so we can try him then.

Henry was dominating Peel before coming in, Western isn't

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The big concern as well is can freo kick enough goals with the players we got this weekend?

I have stated freo is a medium scoring side: they usually kick between 11-14 goals when freo win.

I dont expect Richmond to let us get 29 scoring shots and let us kick 11.18.84 this week.

I mean freo kicked 11.10.76 vs ve the suns a few weeks ago as the suns were held to 6.13.49.

Freo also kicked 12.12.84 vs the crows in adelaide and the crows kicked 11.6.72.

Anything can happen. Then again, Richmond could blow us out of the water and beat us by 5-8 goals

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

So Alex pearce being out with concussion..... that means Duman comes in then.

Purplrrr

All Australian
Jun 15, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we had Pearce I’d be a little (very little) bit more positive.. but nope, not even that tiny bit of magic of having a fit Pearce for at least part of the season has been ripped away. So I will look forward to sitting in another part of Optus to check out the view. Any thoughts on section 310?
Oh and also walker and treacy. My little glimmers of hope.

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well now we have Fyfe and Pearce out for this game and now Lobb done for the year.

In reality we are no chance to grab that last spot in the 8 but JLO will give it every shot nonetheless..as he should.

Acres in for Fyfe
Dumin in for Pearce
Treacy in for Meek

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Western is going to produce less than Henry at this level, hold off one more week to see if we can get a win, if we drop this one then finals are done so we can try him then.

Henry was dominating Peel before coming in, Western isn't
Western is averaging 17 disp and 1.2 goals a game. Wouldn't it make sense to drop Colyer and play him to see what he offers?

Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
Screenshot at 2021-07-29 16-43-48.png

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Meek, Blakely, Bewley, Tucker, Western, O'Driscoll and Hughes all on the extended bench. I have a feeling Bewley will be back.

My prediction is:
Out: Fyfe, Walters, Pearce
In: Blakely, Bewley, Hughes

Western as the sub seeing as though he can't play WAFL. Good experience to be part of the group.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Obviously undermanned in key defensive positions with Riewoldt, Lynch and Chol in Richmonds forward line - any of our backline who matches up will have to play on much taller opponents.

I'd go for Hughes as a match up on Riewoldt ahead of Watson or Ryan.

Looks a very strong Richmond side with the return of Prestia

Little bit of rain forecast for Sunday too which is a problem, but so too might be the fairly strong winds which are forecast: 35km/h. (which is about what it is outside at the moment - which is pretty bloody windy - sulo bins all over the road)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back