AFL Autopsy RND 19: Beaten by the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

294036.png
Who is that and where did they get Mokbels wig from?

My thoughts:
  1. Young team, who will have their ups and downs. Downs related to points below
  2. Suddenly moved out of Melb to QLD again. Threw them. More experienced and hardened teams adapt to this better. We will in time
  3. I feel like midfield has been going full ball the last 3-4 weeks to cover other poor performing areas. Not surprisingly, they finally had a flat and probably tired night
  4. We don't play that well at Metricon
  5. Have played a lot of away games this year. Even our "home games" in QLD. That's draining
  6. Truck hasn't even had a full year with a list he has really had a chance to shape yet. Look at Hardwick, the year before they won the first flag the Tigers had a shocker and there was questions about his job. By that stage he was what, 5-6 years into the job? Building a system and culture takes time to show on field success
  7. Sean Murphy: like Truck, will take a little time to build up strength and conditioning in this group, so they can push through July. This upcoming pre-season he should hopefully get a really good crack and it and we will start to see some benefits
Overall, if they're playing like this, I'd prefer to see them drop a few more games, slide down the ladder and get a better draft pick. Last thing I want is to limp into the finals and play Lovatt-Murray in the ruck and get smashed in the first week by Carlton. Oh hang on, that's already happened...

But, if this is the way it's heading, I agree with a lot of comments on this board. Bring some younger guys in, not just Perkins/Cox/Jones. Give Guelfi more minutes, let's throw Hird in on a half forward flank one week to see what he can do. Keep Durham in the squad. Mix things up a little bit, if Tippa is just down on form, throw him in the middle for a bit.

Hope is a b***h. It lifts you up, then brings you crashing back down to earth.
Agree. In addition, the loss of Francis and Jones at the bookends a big disruption to the team and game plan in recent weeks. The fact the team has kept it together even if skills are off shows the improvement we've made this season. Onwards!

My thoughts:
  1. Young team, who will have their ups and downs. Downs related to points below
  2. Suddenly moved out of Melb to QLD again. Threw them. More experienced and hardened teams adapt to this better. We will in time
  3. I feel like midfield has been going full ball the last 3-4 weeks to cover other poor performing areas. Not surprisingly, they finally had a flat and probably tired night
  4. We don't play that well at Metricon
  5. Have played a lot of away games this year. Even our "home games" in QLD. That's draining
  6. Truck hasn't even had a full year with a list he has really had a chance to shape yet. Look at Hardwick, the year before they won the first flag the Tigers had a shocker and there was questions about his job. By that stage he was what, 5-6 years into the job? Building a system and culture takes time to show on field success
  7. Sean Murphy: like Truck, will take a little time to build up strength and conditioning in this group, so they can push through July. This upcoming pre-season he should hopefully get a really good crack and it and we will start to see some benefits
Overall, if they're playing like this, I'd prefer to see them drop a few more games, slide down the ladder and get a better draft pick. Last thing I want is to limp into the finals and play Lovatt-Murray in the ruck and get smashed in the first week by Carlton. Oh hang on, that's already happened...

But, if this is the way it's heading, I agree with a lot of comments on this board. Bring some younger guys in, not just Perkins/Cox/Jones. Give Guelfi more minutes, let's throw Hird in on a half forward flank one week to see what he can do. Keep Durham in the squad. Mix things up a little bit, if Tippa is just down on form, throw him in the middle for a bit.

Hope is a b***h. It lifts you up, then brings you crashing back down to earth.
Agree. It's why I'd like to see Zerk given more games as well.

Zaharakis plays as a forward and replace Waterman, who also plays forward and has been out of form. They’ve been trading places all year, there isn’t room for both without injuries.

Shiel came in for Guelfi because we’re adjusting back to more mids in the rotation instead of two doing all the heavy lifting with an extra flanker to make up the numbers.

Guelfi is unlucky that it wasn’t Ham or Cutler that was dropped instead. It was out of the three of them. Comparing to Zaka is apples and oranges and a waste of time.

not really that black and white though - Shiel came in for Gleeson, which isn’t like for like. No one replaced Harry Jones.

no matter what, Zakka shouldn’t be playing over kids who have been in better form

not really that black and white though - Shiel came in for Gleeson, which isn’t like for like. No one replaced Harry Jones.

no matter what, Zakka shouldn’t be playing over kids who have been in better form
Shiel didn't replace Gleeson in the 22

Coaches Votes:

10 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
7 Tom Green (GWS)
4 Sam Taylor (GWS)
3 Brent Daniels (GWS)
2 Jordan Ridley (ESS)
2 Shane Mumford (GWS)
1 Lachie Ash (GWS)
1 Will Snelling (ESS)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A blessing in disguise.
  • We're not ready for finals (clearly).
  • Some of the older players are cooked or carrying injuries.
  • The young ones are getting tired.
  • Our depth has absolutely been exposed.
On the plus side, you can see where Truck wants us to be, we've got maximum games into most of the new talent and we should get a good first round pick in the draft. Crawling to the end of the season may not be a bad thing for everyone - we (club and supporters) won't be under any illusions that we're only 'just away' from a finals side and take short cuts with trading.

Giants run home is Port, Geel, Tigers and Blues.
Big win for their finals hopes.

8th still there
Eagles have a tough run with Freo, Lions & Dees
We need wins v Pies & Suns though
Need to beat the swans too, to have even a small chance.

Will be
Need to beat the swans too, to have even a small chance.
Will be taken from us with a goal to Sydney off a high tackle that was made by one of their own players with 15 second to go. Then they realise that swans have 19 players on the field for the last quarter but in good coming sense umpiring no re percussion to sydney..

Will be taken from us with a goal to Sydney off a high tackle that was made by one of their own players with 15 second to go. Then they realise that swans have 19 players on the field for the last quarter but in good coming sense umpiring no re percussion to sydney..
Funny 'cos it's true :(

The total lack of forward pressure in the second half hurt. Helped their midfield over run us by letting the half backs get involved.
I suppose it is a reflection of where we are. GWS are a decent side with a good midfield. Both sides had a few key players missing.
Did not realize how much we missed Harry Jones and his efforts on the defense side of things.

The total lack of forward pressure in the second half hurt. Helped their midfield over run us by letting the half backs get involved.
I suppose it is a reflection of where we are. GWS are a decent side with a good midfield. Both sides had a few key players missing.
Did not realize how much we missed Harry Jones and his efforts on the defense side of things.

Whitfield also didn't start tearing us to pieces until they moved him to the back flank.
We didn't have a forward that could run with him.

Most on here are set and forgetting on the Davey twins, I’d like to address it once, if not twice (one true small fwd, one mid sized marking fwd who can tackle) this off season.

The past fortnight has showed how light on we are for options with very little in order of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitfield also didn't start tearing us to pieces until they moved him to the back flank.
We didn't have a forward that could run with him.

Snelling is one of our best runners. Someone needed to sacrifice there game and although size against him, he (Snelling) could have made him accountable.

Snelling is one of our best runners. Someone needed to sacrifice there game and although size against him, he (Snelling) could have made him accountable.

I know this sounds like a bit of a rubbish reply but I agree with what you say but I understand why they are not doing it now. In the future they will need to work on shutting a player down to a degree but right now they are working on the team defense and it takes time to get all the moving parts / player combinations to work. What happened with Whitfield does not happen if the forwards play their role. They do not want to go away from what they are doing with team defense until they bed it in. If you change mid stream you end up looking like Carlton who where working the defense under Bolton then Teague comes in and stops working the defense and goes attack. Now that he is trying to go defense again the players are not buying into it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back