Preview Round 20 - Lions vs the Hawks, 2:10pm, Sunday Aug 1 @ UTAS Stadium, Launceston (at the moment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From the AFL site "in the mix"

With a win over Gold Coast and no new injuries, you wouldn't expect too many changes for Sunday's game against Hawthorn in Launceston. Nakia Cockatoo was the medical sub against the Suns and now seems like the perfect time to see what the former Cat can do at the top level. Who he could replace is a difficult question. James Madden would be unlucky to be left out, Jarrod Berry still looks rusty or perhaps veteran Grant Birchall would be due a rest, although unlikely in his hometown against his former club.

R15 medical sub: Nakia Cockatoo (unused)

Verdict: Cockatoo for Madden. – Michael Whiting
Here is a link to said article- https://www.afl.com.au/news/654731/in-the-mix-r20-forgotten-guns-a-show-who-makes-way-

It includes a highlights video of Cockatoo in the VFL over the weekend. He is moving very well. Would love for him to get 4 senior games under his belt unscathed and make an impact in the finals. Looking ahead toward next year, if all things go well with Rayner and Cockatoo can stay fit and build form and continuity, it could be quite exciting having Bailey, Rayner and Cockatoo all around the midfield/forward flank next year and add a fair bit of speed, dynamism and flair to our line up.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe Nakia could play the role Fages had in mind for Cam Rayner this season, seems a similar type from the little I have seen of him, IMO would be a great x factor addition for our finals campaign, would be ideal to get at least a couple of H&A games in prior to finals.
What's better then 1 Rayner? 2! Would love for Rayner and Cockatoo to stay fit next year and rotate between the midfield and forward line. Could both be that big bodied, powerful mid we've been needing a bit.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Maybe Nakia could play the role Fages had in mind for Cam Rayner this season, seems a similar type from the little I have seen of him, IMO would be a great x factor addition for our finals campaign, would be ideal to get at least a couple of H&A games in prior to finals.
I think he potentially could next season but he hasn't played too much mid-time in the VFL games I've seen and didn't again on the weekend. I think he'll probably be protected a little bit in the forward line when he plays.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nakia appears to have trimmed down since his Geelong days and from when he arrived at the Lions
First video Round 18 VFL Aug 2019
Then what he showed before going to Geelong
He just needs to get confidence back in his body and adjusting to the pace of AFL games which he has not experienced for a while
It won't be easy for him.
He will need to concentrate on his role for the team and hopefully see him improve in confidence
It will be great if he can produce some of his natural skills and hold his place in the side

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Now I have to admit that I have only watched on TV this year so have a quite limited appreciation of what is happening in any Brissie game, but I have an inability to see what people see in Madden. He ran a bloke off many weeks ago which we all saw but I haven't seen much else. He's very young so who knows where he will finish up but I want a flag this year.

When I saw Cocky live at Princes Park the alarm bells started to ring and I, and the intelligentsia that I was attending along, all thought," Here is a bloke that has been given a 350,00 per year holiday".

Prior looks reasonable but I am not sure of his up side.

Craig Bolton or Josh Green?

Both had similar promise but only one was All Australian.

I have no idea on the fringe players but I want Gardiner and Adams back for the finals.

Now I have to admit that I have only watched on TV this year so have a quite limited appreciation of what is happening in any Brissie game, but I have an inability to see what people see in Madden. He ran a bloke off many weeks ago which we all saw but I haven't seen much else. He's very young so who knows where he will finish up but I want a flag this year.

So you're rating a defender based on his attacking abilities?

I must admit, I was skeptical on Madden, but I believe his focus is on his defensive assignments. I think once he gains a bit more confidence to attack we'll be whistling a different tune. I didn't see the fuss on Hanley either, so I'm determined not to write him off.

I must admit, I was skeptical on Madden, but I believe his focus is on his defensive assignments. I think once he gains a bit more confidence to attack we'll be whistling a different tune. I didn't see the fuss on Hanley either, so I'm determined not to write him off.

Agree totally. Madden has a lot to work with - seems to mark well/has good strength overhead for a medium defender, performs shut down jobs ok and the great closing speed is a major tick. We just need to keep playing him in 1s. Once he gets confidence, he'll be a major weapon.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North

No I am not rating Madden on anything at all as I have not seen him live (I think) so I am in no position to make a judgement. TFB have you been able to watch Madden closely live?

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have and he looks hampered by his broken hand at present. He is very hard at it and never takes a backwards step. I like the look of him and am amazed he is as good as he is at this stage of his development, having come to us as a project player and had a very disrupted preparation due to Covid and needing to return to Ireland last year.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Watching one of the footy shows over the weekend & Tom Morris seemed to be pushing the Optus Stadium bandwagon if the game wasn't at the MCG. I was gobsmacked. I know it's a great stadium, but that's going to count for squat if there's someone sneezes over there the week of the grand final & he bans crowds from attending.

They so much as get a handful of cases & there won't be crowds allowed. It's a massive risk to take for the AFL.

I'd have thought if the finals series can't be held in Melbourne then split across the Gabba / Metricon / and maybe Adelaide would be the way forward.

Definitely wouldn't object to the GF being at the Gabba again. Might actually be able to get a ticket this time.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What's better then 1 Rayner? 2! Would love for Rayner and Cockatoo to stay fit next year and rotate between the midfield and forward line. Could both be that big bodied, powerful mid we've been needing a bit.
I love watching Rayner and the excitement he brings to our team but I have yet to see him make a significant difference in any game he has played in his career at Brisbane. His potential is through the roof but that all i see right at this time and until he gets back and has an impact on games, I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed that he does live up to expectations. In saying that, I am more excited about Cockatoo coming into our best 22 right now with what he can bring this season.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I love watching Rayner and the excitement he brings to our team but I have yet to see him make a significant difference in any game he has played in his career at Brisbane. His potential is through the roof but that all i see right at this time and until he gets back and has an impact on games, I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed that he does live up to expectations. In saying that, I am more excited about Cockatoo coming into our best 22 right now with what he can bring this season.

Rayner had some big moments in the first final last year

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looks like Fwd/Mid if he gets a game soon

I havent watched all of the past few reserves games so l may have missed it, but i haven't seen any explosive speed when i have watched, which is what he was renown for. If he hasn't done it at reserves level, not sure why we would put him at AFL level. Has he still got the speed or has injuries cruelled him of it?

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rayner had some big moments in the first final last year
yes Rayner had a few big moments in games not just that final. Many games
He also gone very quiet in games as well.
Was hoping this be a break out year.

Cockatoo.. I love in this week. has talent to burn.. big body and tackles well.
start of the year he looked unfit and slow although seems worked his bum off
Clear class ahead in the VFL

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
I havent watched all of the past few reserves games so l may have missed it, but i haven't seen any explosive speed when i have watched, which is what he was renown for. If he hasn't done it at reserves level, not sure why we would put him at AFL level. Has he still got the speed or has injuries cruelled him of it?
He wouldn’t be in the team just because of his speed. His skills and pressure have been really good as well, he’s a big body and hits hard. I actually think he’s looked at his most explosive when he’s going in for a tackle, hopefully that can start to translate when he gets the ball as well.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
yes Rayner had a few big moments in games not just that final. Many games
He also gone very quiet in games as well.
Was hoping this be a break out year.

Cockatoo.. I love in this week. has talent to burn.. big body and tackles well.
start of the year he looked unfit and slow although seems worked his bum off
Clear class ahead in the VFL
What I've seen with Cam is lots of enthusiasm and endeavour with some great highlight moments , generally being one step too far ahead in his attack on the ball and rushed , not really having a great impact in nearly every game but often looking like he would. And to be fair perhaps playing a role often enough.

So like everyone else I hope he gets stronger and fitter and can have sustained influence over a whole game.

Cockatoo looks good at times in the Ressies but whether he's fit enough to go a Seniors game and make a difference we'll see ,but there's a spot there if he can reproduce his highlights reel.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He wouldn’t be in the team just because of his speed. His skills and pressure have been really good as well, he’s a big body and hits hard. I actually think he’s looked at his most explosive when he’s going in for a tackle, hopefully that can start to translate when he gets the ball as well.
He looks great when he goes in for a tackle. So does Coleman sometimes.

I reckon it can be deceptive because the guy getting the ball has to sometimes stop to pick it up ,think what he's going to do and work out how to get rid of it whereas the tackler has one sole focus and can charge in unrestricted by any of that. So they look quicker than what they actually are. Which you find out when they actually have the ball.

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team

Madden has been pretty good .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back