AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFLW: 2022 list complete

The North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos’ list is complete, after selecting six players in the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft.

Pick 13 – Tess Craven

The North Melbourne Kangaroos have selected Tess Craven with pick 13 in the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft.

Recruited from the Geelong Falcons, Craven is a tough midfielder with clean skills under pressure.

North AFLW/VFLW List & Football Performance Manager, Rhys Harwood, said the club was thrilled to add a player of Craven’s quality.

“We’re so excited to add Tess to our list after excelling for both Geelong and Vic Country this year,” Harwood said.

“A midfielder with great balance, she averaged more than 21 disposals per game. She is great around stoppages and her capacity to spread and find the footy post-clearance is elite.

“We felt she was a standout player in the draft pool in regards to her footy IQ. She makes great decisions in play and uses the ball well.

“We are exceptionally excited to add Tess to our list, we think she’s going to be a good player for a long time.”

Pick 19 – Tara Slender

The North Melbourne Kangaroos have selected Tara Slender with pick 19 in the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft.

The 175cm key position player, recruited from the Bendigo Pioneers, caught the eye of recruiters with her versatility and competitiveness.

“Tara was a great option for us a range of reasons,” Harwood said.

“She can play forward and back, and also spent time in the midfield with Bendigo, Vic Country and Essendon.

“She’s super competitive in the air, strong bodied and is a great athlete. She plays with real intent and reads the ball well in the air, but is equally effective at ground level. We think she can give us some real flexibility.

“Talented key position players are hard to find, so we’re thrilled to have Tara.”

Pick 28 – Kim Rennie

The North Melbourne Kangaroos have selected Kim Rennie with pick 28 in the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft.

The 26-year-old ruck has played 24 games across four seasons at the Bulldogs, including the 2018 Premiership.

Harwood said Rennie will form a dynamic ruck partnership with Emma King.

“We have been really keen on Kim for some time. She is a great ruck with real athleticism, so we are rapt to bring her across to Arden St,” Harwood said.

“She will give us great flexibility as she has an impressive work rate.

“She is a fantastic person and is really driven to play a significant role not only on the field, but also off the field for us. We think Kim can help us take our club to another level and she will also enhance our culture.

“We are really excited to welcome Kim to the club.”

Rennie averaged 11 hitouts and 5 contested possessions per game in 2021.

Pick 43 – Perri King

The North Melbourne Kangaroos have selected Perri King with pick 43 in the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft.

Recruited from the Tasmanian Devils, King has also represented Glenorchy in the Tasmanian State League Women’s (TSLW) and North’s VFLW side.

Harwood said King will add more firepower through the midfield.

“Perri is a real competitor and is great in and around the contest. At 169cm, we think she’ll provide an even harder edge to our midfield group working with the likes of Ash Riddell, Jenna Bruton, Emma Kearney and Ellie Gavalas,” he said.

“She was the number one ranked tackler in the NAB League this season, and she can cover the ground really well and find the footy.

“She’s got a really good overhead mark for her size, which means she can play a few different roles for us.

“We love adding Tasmanian talent to our list and Perri has put together a great body of work and deserves this opportunity.”

Pick 51 – Jasmine Ferguson

The North Melbourne Kangaroos have selected Jasmine Ferguson with pick 51 in the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft.

Recruited from Collingwood’s VFLW team (due to play in the Grand Final), Harwood said Ferguson would provide another great option in the backline.

“Jasmine is a flexible, tall defender whose competitiveness and ability to read the ball in the air really stood out,” Harwood said.

“She’s professional and a mature person, who has played key roles on a number of highly talented forwards in the VFLW.

“We were really keen to add some size and flexibility to our back line and we think she has scope to impact early and continue to develop.

“We welcome Jasmine to the team and look forward to bringing her into the club.”

Pick 56 – Ella Maurer

The North Melbourne Kangaroos have selected Ella Maurer with pick 56 in the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft.

The Tasmanian recruit featured for the Tasmanian Devils over the last two seasons.

“Ella’s improvement has been significant and we were really impressed with her form across all levels this season,” Harwood said.

“We love Ella’s work around the footy. She has great hands, she’s clean when the pressure is on, and she has great speed.

“She has genuine size and power for an inside player, which is something we’ve been looking for.

“She has a great ability to attack the ball and take the game on. We look forward to seeing her develop in our program.”

Just noticed they don't release weights for AFLW players. What's the thinking here?
Too much work. Whoever is in charge of all that stuff can't even be bothered to keep an accurate account of player heights (I'm convinced some are off by 10cm+) which should theoretically be much easier than weights.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Too much work. Whoever is in charge of all that stuff can't even be bothered to keep an accurate account of player heights (I'm convinced some are off by 10cm+) which should theoretically be much easier than weights.

Yeh probably. The mention of one player being powerful led me to check their height-weight combo then realised none of the players had weight listed.

Even the AFL heights look off. I'm convinced Xerri has grown since we drafted him, looks taller than Goldie but still listed at the same height.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeh probably. The mention of one player being powerful led me to check their height-weight combo then realised none of the players had weight listed.

Even the AFL heights look off. I'm convinced Xerri has grown since we drafted him, looks taller than Goldie but still listed at the same height.
Probably a bit of cultural hangover there too.

The trolls of the AFLW would just use it as one more way to attack the players; so why give them the ammunition?

215427044_349666706872994_9190663803130227097_n.jpg

footyknut

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
What are the views on here about Airlie Runnalls who played for your VFLW team? We picked her up in the draft.

Without knowing anything about her you' have to assume if she was she doesn't make it to pick 13? I know lower picks don't necessarily equal quality players but the way I've seen people banging on about this I assume she's the best player ever.

In the mock draft on the Mongrel Punt website they had her as pick 2.

Pick 2: Geelong – Tess Craven – 163cm – Midfielder
Okay, so you’re expecting Prespakis to go here, and maybe she will – but hear me out. If you’re the Cats and you’re still on somewhat of a build on your list, you’d rather someone like Tess Craven who is a local Geelong Falcons talent and more likely to recommit to the future as opposed to someone like Prespakis, who’s more likely to be snapped up by Essendon’s AFLW team once they are brought into the league.

Regardless on whether they go for Prespakis, the departure of Liv Purcell leaves the Cats with a bit of a gap in the midfield. Nina Morrison will come back next season and they’ll get solid pre-seasons out of both Laura Gardiner and Darcy Moloney, but they could use another midfielder who is a proven ball-winner.

With Craven, not only they get someone who accumulates possession, but is a proven winner in the contested spaces and can make smart choices with the ball in her hand. She averaged 21.1 disposals and 3.9 tackles per game for the Falcons in the NAB League this year and 20.5 disposals and six clearances in two games for Vic Country in the Championships.

Last edited:
Without knowing anything about her you' have to assume if she was she doesn't make it to pick 13? I know lower picks don't necessarily equal quality players but the way I've seen people banging on about this I assume she's the best player ever.
Don’t forget that in the W they don’t force girls to move interstate so there is effectively separate draft pools in each state. I think she was 8th in the Vic pool.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Supposedly have another highly rated tassie player in next years draft that again we will be able to take with a late pick in Claire Ransom. One to track

Then there’s other tassie players that were rated highly but missed out this year in Amy Prokopiec, Madi Brazendale and Sarah Skinner

Any for the men’s side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back