Preview Sydney Swans vs Essendon Bombers, Saturday, 7:40pm @ Gabba - Round 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the same people mocking the concept of risk management around soft tissue injuries will be the first moaning about the club's incompetence if someone was out for 6-8 weeks with a hamstring.
When Buddy needs a rest I sure hope the club gives him a week off, but I've seen nothing to indicate that he needs this week off

Seems you do.

No idea how on earth this conversation is still going or how people don't realise soft tissue injuries are recurring and aren't the same as breaking a finger or hand.
realInvoice.png

When Buddy needs a rest I sure hope the club gives him a week off, but I've seen nothing to indicate that he needs this week off

I don't disagree, again this discussion started as the suspension being a blessing in disguise as he'd get a forced rest. This narrative that injuries can't be predicted and mitigated against is just a nonsense a subsection on the board seem to be using as a strawman against that observation.

Mills and Cunningham in for 100% certain assuming they're fit.
Ronke out. Rowbottom or Bell for the spell?
Someone suggested Bell would be set for Nick Hind. Sounds about right.
I didn't rate Bell's performance against the Giants but he was pretty solid against Freo. Hayward has been used in a lockdown capacity in the past but would prefer him to be playing offensively.

I didn't rate Bell's performance against the Giants but he was pretty solid against Freo. Hayward has been used in a lockdown capacity in the past but would prefer him to be playing offensively.
I agree. Against a stronger team defensively you might use Wilbur that way to get the cream from an extra attacker but he has been going very well as the medium forward. Back to where he was before the injury. Could go out and kick 3.

Bell stays for mine. With Haywood Buddy Heeney Reid (and occasionally wicks and Parker) we have enough marking targets. Bell puts more pressure on the ground ball in our forward 50 than a McDonald type would.

Unless we're looking to specifically isolate their defenders with tall match ups id say Bell offers enough to hold his spot for now

I agree. Against a stronger team defensively you might use Wilbur that way to get the cream from an extra attacker but he has been going very well as the medium forward. Back to where he was before the injury. Could go out and kick 3.
Wicks has also been used as a lockdown to good effect. Between the 3 of them it gives us flexibility on the matchup though. Bell is quicker, Hayward is good in the air and Wicks is good all around. Depends on who the defender we're trying to mitigate is.

For Hind, Bell seems right.

Bell stays for mine. With Haywood Buddy Heeney Reid (and occasionally wicks and Parker) we have enough marking targets. Bell puts more pressure on the ground ball in our forward 50 than a McDonald type would.

Unless we're looking to specifically isolate their defenders with tall match ups id say Bell offers enough to hold his spot for now
For yours, Madds?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our injury list is unfreakingbelievable at any time of the year, let alone round 19.

Just wo players, Naismith and Warner, with Warner due to come off as early as this week.

I can never remember us having such a short list. View attachment 1189569

Especially when you consider that at the same stage last year, our injury list had literally our three best players on it.

And Hewett!

And our one and only semi-decent ruck!

Hence the lack of panic from the club in the off-season.

Thats what the pre-finals bye is for... we go full bore til then. You need to practice the way you want to play.

You could argue getting Buddy restarted twice in 6 weeks poses a bigger injury risk

If we do give it a shake while guys like Heeney and Mills and Blakey are still around it'll just heat up the old "BuT tHe AcAdEmiES" arguments again
Collingwood have had 12 father and sons over the last few decades. Same sort of price to pay for them as academies. Geelong and Western Bulldogs especially have benefited. No one cries father/son!! Daicos probably goes 1 this year Another father/son. Bulldogs will probably get a pick 3 selection this year and are currently favourites to win the comp this year.
How many players from GWS have left and gone to Melbourne. None to Swans.
We are getting no more benefit from academies than Collingwood/Geelong/Western Bulldogs have gotten outside of the draft.
Until every side plays each other once and there is a pure draft nothing is exactly equal.
You are letting heresay and media recency bias cloud your mind. The academies are no net benefit to us vs many big Melbourne clubs benefits.
If we win we celebrate with a clear conscience.

Can McDonald, Reid and Franklin play in the same forward line?
Round 2 suggests they can but honestly? I don't think so. They get in the way of each other a bit too much. Heeney and Hayward play tall as well

I'm sure the same people mocking the concept of risk management around soft tissue injuries will be the first moaning about the club's incompetence if someone was out for 6-8 weeks with a hamstring.

The club have a bevy of medical professionals who are monitoring Buddy's every move. That is why nobody is hitting the panic button.

Can McDonald, Reid and Franklin play in the same forward line?
They definitely can. It's probably our most mobile combination as far as talls go but I would be very, very hesitant to change the current structure considering how efficient we've been up forward and how effective our forward line has been defensively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back