Hardwick Hartigan Impey
Sicily DGB Jiath
Day T Mitchell Scrimshaw
Brockman Lewis Wingard
Breust Koschitzke Gunston
McEvoy O’Meara Worpel
Inter: Bramble Reeves Phillips Pick 2-4
Emerg: Frost Downie Jeka S Mitchell

Another who doesn't think the bloke second in our goal kicking and second for tackles inside forward 50 in the comp can even make the emergency list.

:(

The intriguing thing next year will be what position will Sicily, Day and Impey play? With the emergence of Scrimshaw, Jiath and now Bramble we have a stack of half back flankers. But will they all be playing in defence at the same time though?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
FBHardwickFrostScrimshaw
HBSicilyGrainger-BarrasJiath
CBrambleT. MitchellDay
HFGunstonJekaBreust
FFLewisKoschitzkeWingard
RRReevesO'MearaWorpel
Int:McEvoyBrockmanNewcombe
S. Mitchell

Another who doesn't think the bloke second in our goal kicking and second for tackles inside forward 50 in the comp can even make the interchange bench.

:(.

Fetnarr

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know people have been dead against it but with the improvement of CJ, Scrimshaw and the addition of DGB I wonder if swinging Sicily forward again has merit.
If Gunston fails to get his body right I’d love to see Sic play his role. He and Jeka could alternate between playing deep and playing the high lead up half forward type role. How much better would we look with Sic and Jeka kicking into our F50 along with Day (moved into a midfield/wing role), Bramble, Moore, Seamus and hopefully a new recruit with elite skills.
Also he becomes a lethal option to receive a handball anywhere within 60 metres of goal.

I think this would also take the pressure off Lewis as Sicily would get the oppo’s best defender. Lewis can stay deep as the bail out, long down the line option and help out in the ruck.

I still believe Sicily could be a 40+ goal a year forward.
Long term Kosi could still be a solid defender and with a year of senior footy under his belt I think he’d have the confidence to own a KPD role for us. I’ve liked what he has done this year as a forward but haven’t been blown away by it. I think Jake Levers anus might tighten up just a little more if Sicily was to walk out next to him as opposed to Kosi!

Maybe not round 1 next year but how do people feel about us lining up something like this in the near future:

Hardwick Kosi Frost
CJ DGB Scrimshaw
Day Worpel Moore
Mitchell Sicily Breust
Brockman Lewis Jeka

Reeves O’Meara Horne/Callaghan

Impey Bramble Newcombe Saunders

Impey becomes the new Burgoyne and just plays where required

Edit: this is assuming Tom Mitchell gets traded. Big Boy isn’t selected as I’m trying to think post Big Boy....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know people have been dead against it but with the improvement of CJ, Scrimshaw and the addition of DGB I wonder if swinging Sicily forward again has merit.
If Gunston fails to get his body right I’d love to see Sic play his role. He and Jeka could alternate between playing deep and playing the high lead up half forward type role. How much better would we look with Sic and Jeka kicking into our F50 along with Day (moved into a midfield/wing role), Bramble, Moore, Seamus and hopefully a new recruit with elite skills.
Also he becomes a lethal option to receive a handball anywhere within 60 metres of goal.

I think this would also take the pressure off Lewis as Sicily would get the oppo’s best defender. Lewis can stay deep as the bail out, long down the line option and help out in the ruck.

Long term Kosi could still be a solid defender and with a year of senior footy under his belt I think he’d have the confidence to own a KPD role for us. I’ve liked what he has done this year as a forward but haven’t been blown away by it. I think Jake Levers anus might tighten up just a little more if Sicily was to walk out next to him as opposed to Kosi!

Maybe not round 1 next year but how do people feel about us lining up something like this in the near future:

Hardwick Kosi Frost
CJ DGB Scrimshaw
Day Worpel Moore
Mitchell Sicily Breust
Brockman Lewis Jeka

Haha lol so much wrong..

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why? And where?
More thinking 2023 than 2022

Sicily isn't good enough as a forward and is one of the best defenders at his role.
Kossie can't play as a defender, Callow is more likely.
T Mitchell isn't getting traded.
Moore is more a HFF.
And you're missing players and possible draft picks etc.

Given the emergence of Scrimshaw, Day, Jiath, plus Impey and Bramble as the other small/medium defenders on the list could Sicily be better served up forward next year?

I would love to see Gunston and Sicily on the half forward-line. Sicily marking, Gunston’s forward craft would them make a dangerous duo.

HF: Gunston, Koschitzke, Sicily

F: Breust, Lewis, Wingard
Not mobile enough as a modern HFF.
Not big enough for KPF.
Wasted as a FP.

Close to AA as a HBF.

*In a different side, could probs be an effective 3rd tall forward.

Fetnarr

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sicily isn't good enough as a forward and is one of the best defenders at his role.
Kossie can't play as a defender, Callow is more likely.
T Mitchell isn't getting traded.
Moore is more a HFF.
And you're missing players and possible draft picks etc.

All fair points.

Sicily has been a gun defender yes, but he is a better marking forward than any other on our list bar Gunston. He kicked 30 goals in his first full season of senior footy and he has matured massively since then. He’s only played forward in patches since then. I think we have plenty of weapons down back but we need to score more.

Kosi was an AA full back in his final year in TAC cup. Confidence is key with Kosi I reckon.
I’d actually love it if Callow developed to be a solid AFL standard full back. That would pretty much complete our defensive set up for the next few years

He might. I’m not the first to suggest he should

It’s not that big of a stretch to play wing from half forward and the reason I put him on the wing is he has the tank to do it. Many players change positions throughout their career.

I am missing a couple, Wingard was an obvious oversight, I’m sure there are one or two others.

You can’t allow for picks and trades when you don’t know who’s coming.

What we really need though is to get our best ball users forward of Centre, our kicks inside 50 have been deplorable for years. Moving Sic forward gives us creativity going inside 50 and also gives us someone with the confidence to bang it through from anywhere inside 60 metres from goal.

I haven’t been a massive advocate for moving him in the past due to his value down back but I think things are different now with CJ, Day, Scrimshaw, DGB and Hardwick patrolling the D50. Maybe we can extract more value from him up forward.

Fetnarr

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Hardwick Kosi Frost
CJ DGB Scrimshaw
Day Worpel Moore
Mitchell Sicily Breust
Brockman Lewis Jeka

Edit: this is assuming Tom Mitchell gets traded. Big Boy isn’t selected as I’m trying to think post Big Boy....

I really should have read through the whole thread before posting this, seems many people pondering the same thing!
Apologies to those expecting something new and thought provoking!

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All fair points.

Sicily has been a gun defender yes, but he is a better marking forward than any other on our list bar Gunston. He kicked 30 goals in his first full season of senior footy and he has matured massively since then. He’s only played forward in patches since then. I think we have plenty of weapons down back but we need to score more.

Kosi was an AA full back in his final year in TAC cup. Confidence is key with Kosi I reckon.
I’d actually love it if Callow developed to be a solid AFL standard full back. That would pretty much complete our defensive set up for the next few years

He might. I’m not the first to suggest he should

It’s not that big of a stretch to play wing from half forward and the reason I put him on the wing is he has the tank to do it. Many players change positions throughout their career.

I am missing a couple, Wingard was an obvious oversight, I’m sure there are one or two others.

You can’t allow for picks and trades when you don’t know who’s coming.

What we really need though is to get our best ball users forward of Centre, our kicks inside 50 have been deplorable for years. Moving Sic forward gives us creativity going inside 50 and also gives us someone with the confidence to bang it through from anywhere inside 60 metres from goal.

I haven’t been a massive advocate for moving him in the past due to his value down back but I think things are different now with CJ, Day, Scrimshaw, DGB and Hardwick patrolling the D50. Maybe we can extract more value from him up forward.

Sic is the best at what he does in the league, by a long way, when he goes forward he is constantly playing quieter games than he would down back and i'm confident in Gunston, Jeka, Lewis, Kossie etc.

Kossie was moved forward due to his ability as a defender being limited in comparison to him as a forward, just wasn't getting involved.

Moore is a natural HFF, does a wing role without being a winger and i'd prefer, Morrison, Downie and Bramble with possibly Day/Scrimshaw -wing/mid.

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sic is the best at what he does in the league, by a long way, when he goes forward he is constantly playing quieter games than he would down back and i'm confident in Gunston, Jeka, Lewis, Kossie etc.

Kossie was moved forward due to his ability as a defender being limited in comparison to him as a forward, just wasn't getting involved.

Moore is a natural HFF, does a wing role without being a winger and i'd prefer, Morrison, Downie and Bramble with possibly Day/Scrimshaw -wing/mid.
Why Morrison?

He does not appear to be elite at anything, not fast enough to burn anybody off, not strong enough to influence a pack, not big enough to influence a marking contest. To me he is just a mid sized plodder with a bit of game sense, just another one of our mid/under size plodding midfield types ... What am I not seeing with this guy?

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why Morrison?

He does not appear to be elite at anything, not fast enough to burn anybody off, not strong enough to influence a pack, not big enough to influence a marking contest. To me he is just a mid sized plodder with a bit of game sense, just another one of our mid/under size plodding midfield types ... What am I not seeing with this guy?
His kicking, elite. Both feet, composure and finding targets, really good kicking inside 50 and can mop up. He is super clean and his traffic work for a small fella is very good. Not Bramble quick but he's not slow. Pretty good tank and runs the wing but can play as a small forward who can find the goals and get up the ground to kick inside 50 or as a half back who can be trusted. Versatile etc.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Hardwick Hartigan DGB
Scrim Sicily Impey
Bramble Horne* Day
Seamus Jeka Moore