Best XI of the 1980's (interactive voting thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

the thing is imran and hadlee get picked alone on their bowling and could play 8 ,9 with marshall and qadir.

imran and hadlee's batting should just be considered a bonus.

this still makes room for keeper (dujon) and either botham/kapil to play 6 & 7.

essentially numbers 6-9 could be fluid.

the number 6 batting slot may be a little weak but 7,8,9 are strong.

the thing is imran and hadlee get picked alone on their bowling and could play 8 ,9 with marshall and qadir.

imran and hadlee's batting should just be considered a bonus.

this still makes room for keeper (dujon) and either botham/kapil to play 6 & 7.

essentially numbers 6-9 could be fluid.

the number 6 batting slot may be a little weak but 7,8,9 are strong.
Imran averaged nearly 38 with the bat. During the 80's he averaged 44 with the bat. He is a true all rounder.

He gets picked as an all rounder ahead of either of Botham or Dev.

I think there was an argument for having 3 front line bowlers and 2 all rounders such was the depth in quality. Keep in mind both Viv and AB can roll the arm over as well.

Also, who would you choose as Captain?
Sorry, I'm not wording this all too well. When I say frontline bowlers, that can also mean all-rounders which get voted in on the back of their bowling pedigree alone. So, for example, for the opening bowler's spot, people can vote for Hadlee, but if Paddles doesn't make it then he can still get in towards the end as an all-rounder.

For skipper I personally would have went for Martin Crowe, but there's no guarantee he'll make it.

Imran averaged nearly 38 with the bat. During the 80's he averaged 44 with the bat. He is a true all rounder.

He gets picked as an all rounder ahead of either of Botham or Dev.

fair call - as i said 6-9 could be fluid
6.imran
7/8.dujon
7/8.botham/kapil
9.hadlee

or you lose botham/kapil for a genuine #6 bat or play someone like garner.

But beauty of this format you have to pick at least one spinner
I going to rebel..lol
I cannot see how I could possibly pick Quadir ahead of any of Imran, Hadlee, Marshall and Garner.
Holding I moved to my 70's team. This is also an era where the dominant team had no real spinner of note either. So I'm content to just go with all pace attack for this era and use Border and Viv for any part time spin.

Essentially we'll have the choice of going with either four bowlers/all-rounders, or five, depending on what people feel is best for team makeup.
I'm using Botham as the allrounding bowler that can bat 6 or 7. Dujon as keeper can swap between 6 and 7 from innings to innings. Whatever would suit the team at the time.
So I effectively intend to run with Marshall, Hadlee, Imran and Garner the front line bowlers and Botham as the allrounder and then Viv and Border for any part time spin relief.
This bowling attack would destroy most teams of this era , just as West Indies did themselves with only four pace bowlers most times.

I'm using Botham as the allrounding bowler that can bat 6 or 7. Dujon as keeper can swap between 6 and 7 from innings to innings. Whatever would suit the team at the time.
So I effectively intend to run with Marshall, Hadlee, Imran and Garner the front line bowlers and Botham as the allrounder and then Viv and Border for any part time spin relief.
This bowling attack would destroy most teams of this era , just as West Indies did themselves with only four pace bowlers most times.
Agreed. A four-pronged pace attack would probably give us the best selection of bowlers on talent alone. But I suppose the idea here is that we're picking a team to tour the world & play in all kinds of conditions, hence the requirement for at least one spinner even though in the 80's we didn't really see too many world class spinners.

Sorry, I'm not wording this all too well. When I say frontline bowlers, that can also mean all-rounders which get voted in on the back of their bowling pedigree alone. So, for example, for the opening bowler's spot, people can vote for Hadlee, but if Paddles doesn't make it then he can still get in towards the end as an all-rounder.

For skipper I personally would have went for Martin Crowe, but there's no guarantee he'll make it.
I suspected we were on the same path. I, and I think most would have Hadlee in the side as a front liner. Having read some previous posts, there is a strong argument from some for the keeper to bat at 8, which I think will be Dujon, and Hadlee, if he makes it, and I can't see how he wont, to bat at 9, and push Marshall down to 10.

Viv or AB to captain for mine. I can't see how Crowe does make it. Even if you make a spot for an extra batsman, you could argue that Richardson goes ahead of him. That is no slight on Crowe, who was a great player and captain. Not test related, but Crowe was player of the tournament for mine.

Viv or AB to captain for mine. I can't see how Crowe does make it. Even if you make a spot for an extra batsman, you could argue that Richardson goes ahead of him. That is no slight on Crowe, who was a great player and captain. Not test related, but Crowe was player of the tournament for mine.
Lol oops, completely spaced on AB. I'd have him as captain, though Crowe isn't too far behind him. Viv was great, but I always viewed him in the same regard as Steve Waugh/Ricky Ponting in that they captained a team of champions & couldn't do much wrong if they tried.

Agreed. A four-pronged pace attack would probably give us the best selection of bowlers on talent alone. But I suppose the idea here is that we're picking a team to tour the world & play in all kinds of conditions, hence the requirement for at least one spinner even though in the 80's we didn't really see too many world class spinners.
in that case I'm going to do a left field move to get around this. Gooch and Boon I was thinking to partner Greenidge as an opener but struggle to decide between Gooch and Boon but I will claim Boon now as a spinner, that opens the batting :) Sorry, Goochy, you are now not going to be voted for by me.

in that case I'm going to do a left field move to get around this. Gooch and Boon I was thinking to partner Greenidge as an opener but struggle to decide between Gooch and Boon but I will claim Boon now as a spinner, that opens the batting :) Sorry, Goochy, you are now not going to be voted for by me.
Poor Goochy.

Wanna toss in your vote for opening bowler FF78? Think after your vote we'll just about have our locks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anything to say that Gavaskar can't go around again in the 80's?

We already picked him in the 70's XI. Plan on doing the same thing with players such as Tendulkar, who could realistically play in both the 90's & 2000's teams.

I think OP originally made the point a player can only be used in one decade if their careers cover more than one and generally I think he meant the one the player spent more time in. I found this tough for 70's and 80's as some guys like Holding probably spent similar amount of time in both decades.

We already picked him in the 70's XI. Plan on doing the same thing with players such as Tendulkar, who could realistically play in both the 90's & 2000's teams.
Yes. Put Warne in the same category.

If you are good enough why not?

1980's All-star XI (batting order subject to change)

03 IVA Richards
04 AR Border
05 Javed Miandad
09 RJ Hadlee
10 MD Marshall
11 Abdul Qadir

Qadir waltzes his way into the side whilst Sir Richard emerges in front of Whispering Death. Man this side is going to have shedloads of #batdeep.

Time to sort out the opener's slots. Please select two OPENING BATSMEN.

I think OP originally made the point a player can only be used in one decade if their careers cover more than one and generally I think he meant the one the player spent more time in. I found this tough for 70's and 80's as some guys like Holding probably spent similar amount of time in both decades.
If there is a qualifying condition to it, which I hadn't seen, then fair enough.

Not as 4 and I think his average inflated by more games on Pakistan decks which favour batsmen compared to Crowe in New Zealand where seam tends to make it tough on batsmen to average high.

and myth has it miandad was never given out LBW in pakistan.

javed still gets the nod though.

03 IVA Richards
04 AR Border
05 Javed Miandad
09 RJ Hadlee
10 MD Marshall
11 Abdul Qadir

Qadir waltzes his way into the side whilst Sir Richard emerges in front of Whispering Death. Man this side is going to have shedloads of #batdeep.

If Boon not making it as nude spinner, I think Goochy gets back in for me to partner Gordon Cuthbert Greenidge.

03 IVA Richards
04 AR Border
05 Javed Miandad
09 RJ Hadlee
10 MD Marshall
11 Abdul Qadir

Greenidge and Haynes to open for mine. Second best opening partnership I have seen after Hayden and Langer. Though am happy with Boon as well.

I thought it was being synonymous with a decade. Warne makes both my 90's & 00's teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back