Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just load up on the forward line. The stand is so low it's next to dinosaur bones. Need a serious injection. Jack Williams looks like a type who will come on.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would we be upset if Freo reached at pick 6-9 whatever it ends up being for one of Amiss or Williams if they stay ranked around 15 onwards?

I think we would, unless they became stars

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Say it’s Richmond’s two picks as they currently stand, picks 9 and 17.

Who do you hope to take at pick 9?

Going on my own personal rankings, Goater and Erasmus are both likely gone. Johnson is 50/50 to be there. Other mids I have around the mark are Hobbs, Ward, Chesser or Sonsie.

I believe it’s to early to draft one of the WA KPP’s there, unless Amiss is a stand out of the Championships. But I believe there’s a fair chance Amiss goes before pick 17.

Personally I hope Brisbane gives serious consideration to Amiss at our first pick.

At pick 17, one of Williams or Van Rooyen should be there. I do have questions about their athleticism and length. I really would like to see them show elite speed or jump, or the go go gadget arms of Ben Brown, to know they’re going to be able to compete against the top KPD’s in the league.

Again, I personally don’t have Williams or Van Rooyen rated in my top 20.
If we added 9 and 17 to our first I would be gunning for 8) Erasmus/Johnson, 9) Amiss/ Erasmus/Johnson, 17) Amiss/Williams/van Rooyen/Andrews. The bolded being my preferred.

If there was something going back in the trade I would strongly push next year's second round rather than this year's, and hope to pick up the likes of Browne, Ditmar, Sheldrick, Serong. Richmond already hold a suite of second round picks don't they?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
havent posted on big footy for a while, nice to be back!

am I the only one that would not mind Lobb leaving, I think tabernar is well ahead of him and would like to get games in Treacy. I think on $700k he is well overpaid and I see him more as a depth player in the future - I’d definitely be looking at potential offers.
Yeah, we have way too many forwards. Too many rucks too.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, we have way too many forwards. Too many rucks too.
Going into this season with only 3 KPFs on our list was sub-standard list management. If Lobb goes surely the Footy Dept is committing to recruiting at least 2 KPFs. So then we would have 4. That is still way too low but at least is starting to get to the minimum number for any self-respecting club.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Going into this season with only 3 KPFs on our list was sub-standard list management. If Lobb goes surely the Footy Dept is committing to recruiting at least 2 KPFs. So then we would have 4. That is still way too low but at least is starting to get to the minimum number for any self-respecting club.

FWIW, Alex Pearce was listed as a KPF on our list for 2021. Looks like that has been changed in recent weeks. Now listed as a Key defender.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I agree with you, but 'surely' doesn't do it for me. The track record says we trade for key forwards and rarely draft them, and there don't seem to be any available to trade for.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at this years crop I would also consider Kade Dittmar for the centre. He is 186 cm, 90kg and is known for his defensive pressure, throwing his weight around and has a beautiful kick on him. Could be very handy and a cheaper alternative than Erasmus. Also has some mongrel in him.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
If there was something going back in the trade I would strongly push next year's second round rather than this year's, and hope to pick up the likes of Browne, Ditmar, Sheldrick, Serong. Richmond already hold a suite of second round picks don't they?
Sheldrick is an absolute bull. Would bet on him to break most tackles, can win the footy, great hands. One of the worst kicks I've seen. Does well for a bigger body to be able to move around the ground, just cannot kick the ball.
Sheldrick is purely an inside mid, quite slow moving. His decision making also leaves a lot to be desired.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree with you, but 'surely' doesn't do it for me. The track record says we trade for key forwards and rarely draft them, and there don't seem to be any available to trade for.
And that strategy has worked so well for us (sarcasm)... And if Lobb leaves, we will have not a single traded in KPF still on our list.

Maybe there is a more effective alternative to only using late and rookie picks on KPFs and then spending a fortune in draft currency to try and buy KPFs in to fix the gaping holes left by not investing in the draft?

And that strategy has worked so well for us (sarcasm)... And if Lobb leaves, we will have not a single traded in KPF still on our list.

Maybe there is a more effective alternative to only using late and rookie picks on KPFs and then spending a fortune in draft currency to try and buy KPFs in to fix the gaping holes left by not investing in the draft?
Yes, draft half back flankers and turn them into key forwards.

I'm half expecting we'll finally draft some key forwards (getting all us 'draft some forwards ffs' brigade excited) only to then decide to "develop them defensively" by playing them at half back.
Its going to be interesting what we do because I dont think there is any chance of us using our first pick on a key forward with how we do things. Think there will be a lot of moving and shaking before draft night.

Back to the glory days of 2018 where trade period was exciting again, such a memorable trade period that turned out so well for us...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back