Drafting mids with I50 proven kicking volume and accuracy

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
As we know, we need a boost with clearances out of the midfield but we also need a boost with inside 50 players who can kick with accuracy for delivery to our fwds.

Ive been going through the stats on the footy live app and found the following.

Martin and Bolton (considered our.most offensive midfielders) average 5.5 per game in 2021.

Adam Cerra averages 4.6 per game and is arguably more accurate by foot. Is top 25 in the comp and would be top 3 by volume if he played for us.

Hopper and Taranto would similarly be top 3 at the Tiges with similar numbers. Game time and chemistry has been questioned and could be ripe to snare.

Billings and Dunstan would be top 5, although the laters accuracy is questionable. Both are seemingly on the outer at their clubs.

Do we need a couple of these guys as well as some clearance help to go beast mode in 2022?

You're not the only person who does it when taking about this stuff but it bugs me.

I think you mean "trade" not "draft"? "Drafting mids" is something you do in the national and rookie draft. You "trade" for established players from other clubs.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Yes please, that would be great. I’d argue that we also need forwards (whether small, medium-sized or KPFs) that are more accurate kicking for goal as well to make that kick inside 50 count.

We really need better-skilled players in our midfield and in our forward line. However, we need to make a decision on how we do that (e.g. via the draft, via trading, or a mixture of both). Personally I don’t want us going all out for players on the outer at non-contending clubs. There’s a reason why some of them are on the outer. However, I wouldn’t mind us looking at some of the contested mids with a high volume of inside 50s on the outer at clubs like Bulldogs or Geelong. They seem to have great depth in the midfield so going for one of them would be OK with me.

I don’t know about Taranto’s kicking skills (from the limited amount of games that I have seen), but Hopper would be a fantastic get. Apparently he’s staying at GWS though. And then comes Cerra, who I don’t know much of. How much would he cost and how worth it is he? If he’s genuinely worth it, then I don’t mind, but I haven’t seen enough of him to make that call.

Spluff

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
A lot of this comes down to how we are coached as well - we've had some sublime deliverers of the ball who have been stifled by how our forward line operates.

Doesn't matter how good a kick you are when all you've got is players standing in the goalsquare calling for it high and long.

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
As we know, we need a boost with clearances out of the midfield but we also need a boost with inside 50 players who can kick with accuracy for delivery to our fwds.

Ive been going through the stats on the footy live app and found the following.

Martin and Bolton (considered our.most offensive midfielders) average 5.5 per game in 2021.

Adam Cerra averages 4.6 per game and is arguably more accurate by foot. Is top 25 in the comp and would be top 3 by volume if he played for us.

Hopper and Taranto would similarly be top 3 at the Tiges with similar numbers. Game time and chemistry has been questioned and could be ripe to snare.

Billings and Dunstan would be top 5, although the laters accuracy is questionable. Both are seemingly on the outer at their clubs.

Do we need a couple of these guys as well as some clearance help to go beast mode in 2022?
no

Back