Preview Round 20, 2021 | North Melbourne vs Geelong @ Blundstone Arena | Saturday, 31 July @ 13:15

Remove this Banner Ad

Given he was decent last week, plus given how many injured outs we have, dropping Shaun seems to suggest a longer term change in direction. I think they want a more dynamic half back line. We're playing so well in the centre, but most scoring nowadays comes from rebounds, and we need players who can use the ball, penetrate and create opportunities for the blokes further up the field.

Shaun was meant to be that player for us years ago, but sadly he's never quite become what we needed him to. Dropping him is definitely the right move. If he's moving, get some other blokes a spot. And if he's staying, send him back to the VFL and see if he can add some dynamism to his game there.

Someone wrote that we might not see Cunnington play again. That's just worst case scenario right? I read about five other players (Jesse Hogan etc) had this procedure and some were back playing within 6-8 weeks. Or have I missed some bad news?

Purely based on caution like they have done for Powell, I would have thought they would have given Mahony more time to let his shoulders recover given how hard he throws his body into packs and give Phillips a longer break.

But at the same time. Cunnington, TT, Atley and Zuurhar all out in the same week almost has me at 70 percent certain were tanking. Had Tarrant not come back it would have been 100

Someone wrote that we might not see Cunnington play again. That's just worst case scenario right? I read about five other players (Jesse Hogan etc) had this procedure and some were back playing within 6-8 weeks. Or have I missed some bad news?

You haven't missed any bad news. All signs positive so far. But at the same time, Ben's long-term health is the priority right now.

With Atley potentially gone at the end of the year, it does change the best back six for next year a bit.

B: Ziebell - McKay - Atu
HB: Hall - Taz - Corr

Bench: Turner

Depth: Bonar/Perez/Walker

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Purely based on caution like they have done for Powell, I would have thought they would have given Mahony more time to let his shoulders recover given how hard he throws his body into packs and give Phillips a longer break.

But at the same time. Cunnington, TT, Atley and Zuurhar all out in the same week almost has me at 70 percent certain were tanking. Had Tarrant not come back it would have been 100
Cunners can't play, Zurhaar was stuffed last week too. He could barely use his shoulder and was grabbing it after every contest. TT - I'll bet there was no mention of the dangerous tackle that gave him concussion. I'll bet if he tackled someone and they got delayed concussion he'd have been retrospectively charged.

Cunners can't play, Zurhaar was stuffed last week too. He could barely use his shoulder and was grabbing it after every contest. TT - I'll bet there was no mention of the dangerous tackle that gave him concussion. I'll bet if he tackled someone and they got delayed concussion he'd have been retrospectively charged.
Sorry ferbs but if he got concussed in that 4th goal tackle, its a shame but in no way whatsoever should result in a reprimand. The game would be absolutely broken if that resulted in a citing. You cant legislate every thing in the game.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Atley potentially gone at the end of the year, it does change the best back six for next year a bit.

B: Ziebell - McKay - Atu
HB: Hall - Taz - Corr

Bench: Bonar/Perez

That looks strong but you're missing Turner - although I think the coach sees him as someone who can shut someone down anywhere on the field. He could still be used to nullify an attacking half-back, for example...
And surely Bonar gets first crack - he was fantastic until injury. It will be up to Perez (who I rate) to push someone out. I'd keep Ats as very handy depth. Good problems to have.

That looks strong but you're missing Turner - although I think the coach sees him as someone who can shut someone down anywhere on the field. He could still be used to nullify an attacking half-back, for example...
And surely Bonar gets first crack - he was fantastic until injury. It will be up to Perez (who I rate) to push someone out. I'd keep Ats as very handy depth. Good problems to have.
I did think of him, but I rate him as a defensive utility that can do jobs around the ground as well as in defence. Definite best 22.

Is it actually retro round this week? We have the GOAT jumper, would love to see us pull out something cool this weekend!

Is it actually retro round this week? We have the GOAT jumper, would love to see us pull out something cool this weekend!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but "retro round" isn't a real thing. It's more of a Fox Footy thing that's meant to emulate the old Heritage Round that doesn't exist anymore. I don't think every club is participating but I hope we do. The only side I've seen anything official from is Freo, who are wearing a purple and green anchor guernsey.

I wouldnt be surprised if we've seen the last of Zurhaar for the year. In Nobles presser he was saying - he leans towards icing Powell, then went on to say Cam was 50/50 and given there were only weeks left....well we'll have to wait and see. Indicating to me they're seriously considering icing him too.

We would've heard something about it by now. It's been heavily rumoured we won't be with canterbury next year and a significant factor in that decision has been their apparent inability to quickly produce player issue gear. we've had far fewer one-off jumpers than we usually do these last few seasons, in the last 2 it's only been the indigenous jumpers (notice we only wore it once this year when we usually prefer to wear them a few times, or even have an inverse version)

Hopefully we get Puma next year and it's back to having a really good home jumper and fun variations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back