Best XI of the 1980's (interactive voting thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dujon, the standout keeper for the decade. You would think some practice sessions with the spinner would be good after his decade behind the stumps to the West Indian quartet. More than handy with the bat, going on the numbers for the decade should be batting at either 7 or 8. 8 for me, to leave room for the last player.
Imran as the bowler. Second best strike rate behind Marshall and a lower average than either Marshall or Hadlee. If they are in the side as bowlers he should be too. Great reverse swing bowler as well. Imagine how Marshall and Hadlee would go once Imran taught them about reverse swing, like he did for Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis.
His batting for the decade was top class averaging 44. Averaged a smidgen under 62 batting at 6. Well ahead in the batting averages when compared to the other all rounders of the 80's.
6. Imran
8. Dujon

Last edited:

I agree. Miandad played almost his entire career at 4. Border scored more runs and averaged better at either 5 or 6.
Yep, swap Miandad and Border around. Border average at 5 or 6 was helped by being not out 44 times in his career, 30 of them in the 80's

Friendly reminder; not outs don't help average
How do they calculate your average then if it is not the number of runs you make divided by times number of times you are dismissed?

There would not have been to many DNB's for AB in the second innings during the early to mid 80's.

How do they calculate your average then if it is not the number of runs you make divided by times number of times you are dismissed?

There would not have been to many DNB's for AB in the second innings during the early to mid 80's.

Top order batsmen generally have higher scores. Steve Waugh for examples has numerous not out 150's but only one double century. The runs you potentially could score if innings go to completion more than make up for any advantage of not outs

Haynes riding on the coat tails of Greenidge to get in this side. Really think Gooch and Boon were better batsmen that Haynes but people are so used to the partnership of Greenidge and Haynes that almost automatic response to vote for Haynes with him.

Top order batsmen generally have higher scores. Steve Waugh for examples has numerous not out 150's but only one double century. The runs you potentially could score if innings go to completion more than make up for any advantage of not outs
I am aware of all that of the points that you have made, and nothing that you have said there is wrong. To say that not outs do not affect your average is incorrect. The more often you bat, the less effect it may have, but to say it doesn't matter at all is untrue.

Specifically to Border, his high number of not outs are counter balanced by the fact that he batted in more innings than almost any of his contemporaries.

Haynes riding on the coat tails of Greenidge to get in this side. Really think Gooch and Boon were better batsmen that Haynes but people are so used to the partnership of Greenidge and Haynes that almost automatic response to vote for Haynes with him.
I could come at Boon in the side, though would still vote for Haynes as I think opening partnerships are important. After Hayden and Langer they are the best I have seen. People older than me would possibly say they were better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we drop Dujon if he cannot keep to Quadir ?
What other keepers of this decade can keep to quality leg spin?
I think we go with your idea and drop Qadir to be honest. In fairness to Jeffrey he probably didn't keep to a lot of spin in his time.

I am aware of all that of the points that you have made, and nothing that you have said there is wrong. To say that not outs do not affect your average is incorrect. The more often you bat, the less effect it may have, but to say it doesn't matter at all is untrue.

Specifically to Border, his high number of not outs are counter balanced by the fact that he batted in more innings than almost any of his contemporaries.

Shouldn't even be a consideration - If anything a slight disadvantage

Bari and Kirmani would be the obvious two, Kirmani could bat a bit too.
I looked in to Wasim Bari, but he would probably bat at at least 9, possibly 10.

A quick check of Kirmani suggests he was handy, with an average of 27. Unless his keeping to spin was dreadful, and though without knowing, I suspect it wasn't, you stick with Dujon.

Don't know but west Indian domestic cricket has never been short of spinners
Most of those were in earlier era's from what I could ascertain. Gibbs was in the 50's and 60's, as were Sonny Ramadhin and Alf Valentine.

Most of those were in earlier era's from what I could ascertain. Gibbs was in the 50's and 60's, as were Sonny Ramadhin and Alf Valentine.

At domestic level there's always been spin;

Looks like we've just about got another two spots filled. Can't see anyone overhauling Imran & Dujon from here.

1980's All-star XI (batting order subject to change)

01 CG Greenidge
02 DL Haynes
03 IVA Richards
04 Javed Miandad
05 AR Border
07 Imran Khan
08 PJL Dujon+
09 RJ Hadlee
10 MD Marshall
11 Abdul Qadir

Time to add our final player. This time around I'm gonna leave it open for your interpretation, please select any player you feel deserves to get in the most (batsmen, bowlers, all-rounders welcome).

Also, please select your team CAPTAIN.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back