Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
These crowd figures show it will be many years if any before AFL overtakes the NRL in Queensland.
Just don't believe the BS that comes out of AFL house
I do agree but the Gold Coast has been flooded with games recently and have been starved of interstate fans so no surprise.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
For comparison what were the NRL numbers like for Queensland?

Gold Coast:
AFL:
Sydney vs Fremantle (Sun A) - 2,875
Essendon vs GWS - (Sun N) 2,681

NRL:
Parramatta vs Canberra (Thu N) - 2,566
St George vs Gold Coast (Sun A) - 4,424 DOUBLE HEADER
Canterbury-Bankstown vs Cronulla (Sun T) - 4,424 DOUBLE HEADER

Brisbane:
AFL:
Brisbane vs Gold Coast (Sat A) - 16,660

NRL:
Manly vs Wests (Sat T) - 5,761
Penrith vs Brisbane (Sat N) - 8,019

Sunshine Coast:
NRL:
Easts vs Newcastle (Fri T) - 2,868
Souths vs New Zealand (Sat A) - 7,569

Townsville:
NRL:
North Queensland vs Melbourne (Fri N) - 14,924

I would've said these numbers were pretty strong for the AFL relative to the NRL. Largest drawing crowd in Brisbane, both AFL crowds on the Gold Coast larger than the stand alone NRL game and only out-drawn by a double-header featuring the local team (averaging the crowd would result in both AFL games being ahead too).

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gold Coast:
AFL:

NRL:

Brisbane:
AFL:

NRL:

Sunshine Coast:
NRL:

Townsville:
NRL:

I would've said these numbers were pretty strong for the AFL relative to the NRL. Largest drawing crowd in Brisbane, both AFL crowds on the Gold Coast larger than the stand alone NRL game and only out-drawn by a double-header featuring the local team (averaging the crowd would result in both AFL games being ahead too).
Terrible crowd figures all round

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
Terrible crowd figures all round
I mean, you have an ongoing global pandemic undergoing a local resurgence, with the second biggest sporting event in the world having just begun (probably the biggest from an Australian perspective), competing against what are mostly neutral games. Wouldn't really expect stellar crowds.

Both the Lions and Cowboys crowds were solid given the above backdrop.

Don't see how these crowds provide compelling evidence to support the below statement though:
These crowd figures show it will be many years if any before AFL overtakes the NRL in Queensland.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I mean, you have an ongoing global pandemic undergoing a local resurgence, with the second biggest sporting event in the world having just begun (probably the biggest from an Australian perspective), competing against what are mostly neutral games. Wouldn't really expect stellar crowds.

Both the Lions and Cowboys crowds were solid given the above backdrop.

Don't see how these crowds provide compelling evidence to support the below statement though:
If the ARL wants to overtake the NRL in Queensland they should be outdrawing them with the crowds, In my opinion

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Reckon Dogs outnumbered the Suns fans at the game a week ago.

Not only that but you go into a sports store in QLD and it is 99% NRL gear. In north QLD AFL is nearly non existent, in Gold Coast it is only slightly followed. AFL gear in Rebel had a little corner surrounded by NRL gear that was 70% Lions and Suns, 20% Richmond who had dozens of guernseys, 5% Essendon, Collingwood and Dogs, who all just had beanies or scarves.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
If the ARL wants to overtake the NRL in Queensland they should be outdrawing them with the crowds, In my opinion

I mean, the Brisbane AFL game outdrew the Brisbane NRL games (combined). Both Gold Coast AFL games outdrew the single NRL game, hard to compare neutral AFL games to a double-header which also featured the local team. Even then, both were more than half the double-headers crowd, implying they outdrew the double-header on a like-for-like basis.

Also, the context of these discussions are relative not absolute. The arguments I've seen being made are that the AFL is making progress (ie "it's only a matter of time" - implying it is not yet so, but will be at some point). Unless you are arguing that the gap has always been extremely thin in Queensland, I struggle to see how you can argue the AFL is not making progress when comparing these figures to five years ago as an example.

Not only that but you go into a sports store in QLD and it is 99% NRL gear. In north QLD AFL is nearly non existent, in Gold Coast it is only slightly followed. AFL gear in Rebel had a little corner surrounded by NRL gear that was 70% Lions and Suns, 20% Richmond who had dozens of guernseys, 5% Essendon, Collingwood and Dogs, who all just had beanies or scarves.

Having been born in and spent the majority of my life in SEQ, couldn't agree at all regarding the Gold Coast. I'd argue the Gold Coast is one of the more pro-AFL regions in QLD, and borders on even interest with NRL. Gold Coast has consistently produced a solid amount of strong AFL talent relative to its size and geographic position, driven by significant expatriate populations from the Southern States. Gold Coast is home to one of the stronger tier 2 clubs in Southport (which is on top of the VFL at the moment), are over-represented in the QAFL, and the Suns typically draw relatively equally to the Titans.

I'd argue interest in the Suns drags vs interest in AFL on the Gold Coast, again driven by a strong expatriate population who already have club allegiances combined with the Suns being consistently uncompetitive. Hopefully the Suns can get themselves sorted on the field, off-field will inevitably follow.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gold Coast:
AFL:

NRL:

Brisbane:
AFL:

NRL:

Sunshine Coast:
NRL:

Townsville:
NRL:

Precisely

South’s, the Warriors, the Eels and the Dragons are all major draws too.

Comparatively Queensland is probably the NRL’s strongest market and arguably the AFL’s weakest.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Who said they do?

The AFL and NRL can co-exist in SEQ.

If the AFL can have a 30 to 35 per cent share in SEQ - which will boom with the Olympics announcement - it will have enormous benefits for the code and the league

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The Dogs are probably the smallest of the original 12 VFL clubs in SEQ.

The Big 4 plus Hawthorn are significantly larger than the rest.

For NRL the Dragons, Warriors and Storm seemed to have comparable support to the Broncos and Cowboys in SEQ (I was very surprised by that poor Titans v Dragons crowd)

Merchandise in sports stores is probably the worst guide of club support and market penetration there is...

Last edited:

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Dogs are probably the smallest of the original 12 VFL clubs in SEQ.

The Big 4 plus Hawthorn are significantly larger than the rest.

For NRL the Dragons, Warriors and Storm seemed to have comparable support to the Broncos and Cowboys in SEQ (I was very surprised by that poor Titans v Dragons crowd)

Merchandise in sports stores is probably the worst guide of club support and market penetration there is...
I didn’t say I was using it as a guide mate…don’t get your panties in a twist over an observation.

Fact is the AFL gear was a small clothes rack in a massive Rebel store where every wall was covered in NRL jumpers.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
I didn’t say I was using it as a guide mate…don’t get your panties in a twist over an observation.

Fact is the AFL gear was a small clothes rack in a massive Rebel store where every wall was covered in NRL jumpers.

In parts of Sydney, wearing an NRL top and thongs is de rigeur.

Are crowd Covid restrictions in place in Tassie as there is a very small crowd at Hobart today!

I’m pretty sure it’s capped at 10k. As will be the case for next week’s game between Hawthorn and Collingwood, which would probably have otherwise given them their best crowd in Launceston for ages.

Criticisms of crowds in a Covid world seems utterly bizarre to me. Recent stadiums being exposure sites scares many people away from all walks of life.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
There ain't anywhere 10,000 more like 2000! Not doing Tassie's image as a heartland State esp with a top 4 team Geelong playing in the biggest city!
IT.IS.SOLD.OUT!!!!!!!!!!

10K limit would probably include staff at the venue. plus people may not turn up.

Seriously, get a grip. Its covid, sold out with heavy capacity limits. The main cameras are from the Ricky Ponting stand, and so would not pick up half of the grand stand.

Not sure what more you expect Hobart to do

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
IT.IS.SOLD.OUT!!!!!!!!!!

10K limit would probably include staff at the venue. plus people may not turn up.

Seriously, get a grip. Its covid, sold out with heavy capacity limits. The main cameras are from the Ricky Ponting stand, and so would not pick up half of the grand stand.

Not sure what more you expect Hobart to do
There is still not 10,000 there

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
And?????

there never would be 10K there for a 10K event. Reserved seat members or people who get sick may not turn up. The actual number for capacity could have been 9,679 and 10K sounded bet. That limit could have included venue staff. We don't know the ins and outs of game day management.

What we do know is that it was sold out. That is, there were no more tickets available to purchase. No football club would stop selling tickets if they had more available. You aren't a good business if that is your policy.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes you are right but it was sold out,the problem is a lot of people with reserved seats are not turning up. Another thing to consider is Macca's was giving out freebies to this game and no doubt a lot of people just didn't use them. I can't believe they would give freebies out to this game when I heard of Soo many that couldn't get tickets for this game.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
And?????

there never would be 10K there for a 10K event. Reserved seat members or people who get sick may not turn up. The actual number for capacity could have been 9,679 and 10K sounded bet. That limit could have included venue staff. We don't know the ins and outs of game day management.

What we do know is that it was sold out. That is, there were no more tickets available to purchase. No football club would stop selling tickets if they had more available. You aren't a good business if that is your policy.
That's my point its not sold out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back