Socceroos - Matildas

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
yes thats how I was able to watch it
Finally got it to work by opening this forum in a Web browser, rather than tapatalk.
Some photos that I've never seen before.
Kings Kebab, showing it being inside the arcade. That arcade was closed between 6pm and 7am back then.
Also photo showing tow truck at Cottesloe Beach. Clearly showing that it was quite easy to drive onto the beach back then.
Well done.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
There are scenes in this 1971 movie that were filmed in Julianas Nightclub and elsewhere in the Parmelia Hotel

The Nickel Queen.
It's uncanny how much the Leopold fraud case mimics this movie. If you just substitute the Mining company owner character with Julie's uncle and the geologist character with Julie's dad, the theme in the movie about the nickel samples and stock manipulation is almost deadset what the prosecutors allege happened in the Leopold court case a few years later. Except the ending. Julie's uncle was convicted and went to prison. I won't spoil the ending, but the ending is worth watching as it shows something interesting that would explain motive, if Dave Everett was involved in the disappearance of Julie Cutler and Julie's Aunty has the same name.

Last edited:

mrskafoops

Team Captain
May 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Once again, this case sneaks back into my head too & again I'm perplexed by the naked deceased guy found facedown at the base of the cliff shortly after Julie disappeared & the items potentially belonging to Julie being recovered from the same vicinity years later?
Too much of a coincidence or 3 totally unrelated events?
Do we even know if the items recovered were thought to have been there since '88 or placed there sometime later?
Do we know anymore about the guy?

I can't recall if we have those answers or not & seeing rereading some prior discussion is responsible for putting me back here, I don't want to dive in again.....so does anyone know where those issues stand?

Do you know exactly where the guy was found? It does seem like a weird coincidence...

mrskafoops

Team Captain
May 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
BTW. I was walking through Mercantile Lane to go into work via the lifts in our carpark, cause I was having a smoke and didn't want to hang out on the Terrace to finish it, and I noticed that the redeveloped building sitting on the old Parmelia Hotel car park site has just put up it's company logo - Hawaiian
And I thought, how spooky. The pen's logo sitting on the site of where Julie was last seen entering her car. Coincidence is a strange condition.

Next time you're there can you take a photo and post it please? Showing the whole scene not just the logo.

mrskafoops

Team Captain
May 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Re the pen. Did it have the word Hawaiian on it as well as the logo? Or was it just the logo? Could the pen have belonged to an overseas division of the same company that did exist in 1988? Could the pen have belonged to someone who founded Hawaiian and they had the pen with the logo, chinese symbol, on it in 1988 because it meant something personally to them? Then Julie ended up with it as a gift?
This is what the Hawaiian website says about the logo which makes me think it must have appeared in other places too, unrelated to Hawaiian:

What is the Rén?
The symbol that appears alongside the name Hawaiian, is the Rén — the Chinese symbol for humankind. Every time our logo, and the Rén, appears — on the sides of buildings to the uniforms of those who work for us — it symbolises our company ethos of uniting business and people.

mrskafoops

Team Captain
May 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Re the pen. Did it have the word Hawaiian on it as well as the logo? Or was it just the logo? Could the pen have belonged to an overseas division of the same company that did exist in 1988? Could the pen have belonged to someone who founded Hawaiian and they had the pen with the logo, chinese symbol, on it in 1988 because it meant something personally to them? Then Julie ended up with it as a gift?
This is what the Hawaiian website says about the logo which makes me think it must have appeared in other places too, unrelated to Hawaiian:

What is the Rén?
The symbol that appears alongside the name Hawaiian, is the Rén — the Chinese symbol for humankind. Every time our logo, and the Rén, appears — on the sides of buildings to the uniforms of those who work for us — it symbolises our company ethos of uniting business and people.
I just sent Hawaiian an email asking the following... see what they come back with. That pen!!!

Are you able to please tell me if the names of the people that founded Hawaiian in 1993 and also if there were any other Hawaiian divisions overseas prior to 1993? Can you also please tell me how the idea of using the Ren as the logo came about?

mrskafoops

Team Captain
May 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Me again. Got this today... doesn't seem fair to potentially throw out the whole application over one thing?? Why can't they just exclude that one request?

Good morning

Upon preliminary assessment of your application, I note that you have named third parties being “Miss Cutler and {Ballarat deputy principal, name removed}” in your application.

The Freedom of Information act is generally not an avenue to receive information about a third parties (without their signed consent), its purpose is to provide good governance and transparency of police actions and to verify your own personal information held by the WA Police Force.

A letter of consent from these parties named in your application may support a release of documents. In the absence of this letter of consent, the agency may refuse access to documents to maintain privacy of those third parties.

Please provide a signed letter from the third parties consenting for you to receive their personal information by close of business 2 August 2021.

If you are unable to provide such consent, I would like to provide you with the opportunity to reconsider whether you would like to proceed with your application. If you wish to withdraw your application with a full refund of the application fees, please advise me by close of business

2 August 2021.

If I do not hear from you by this date, the WA Police Force may proceed to formal decision based on your application in its current form.

Should you have any queries, or require any assistance, please contact me on 6229 5906.

Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Do you know exactly where the guy was found? It does seem like a weird coincidence...
Daily News. Date uncertain, most likely 11-12Jul88.
"The discovery of the naked body of a middle-aged man on the shoreline today...
The body was found on a rocky section of shore near the South Cottesloe groyne....
His body was lying face down at the foot of a steep hill near Gibney St..."

Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Me again. Got this today... doesn't seem fair to potentially throw out the whole application over one thing?? Why can't they just exclude that one request?

Good morning

Upon preliminary assessment of your application, I note that you have named third parties being “Miss Cutler and {Ballarat deputy principal, name removed}” in your application.

The Freedom of Information act is generally not an avenue to receive information about a third parties (without their signed consent), its purpose is to provide good governance and transparency of police actions and to verify your own personal information held by the WA Police Force.

A letter of consent from these parties named in your application may support a release of documents. In the absence of this letter of consent, the agency may refuse access to documents to maintain privacy of those third parties.

Please provide a signed letter from the third parties consenting for you to receive their personal information by close of business 2 August 2021.

If you are unable to provide such consent, I would like to provide you with the opportunity to reconsider whether you would like to proceed with your application. If you wish to withdraw your application with a full refund of the application fees, please advise me by close of business

2 August 2021.

If I do not hear from you by this date, the WA Police Force may proceed to formal decision based on your application in its current form.

Should you have any queries, or require any assistance, please contact me on 6229 5906.
Honestly, regardless of the BS reply you received re the consent of 3rd parties, I very much doubt you will be given anything that hasn't already been reported by the newspapers & if if you did, repeating it would probably land you in the s**t, hence we haven't already read about it.
I don't have a clue about FOI requests & I may be wrong, but I would assume the media would request them fairly regularly if they expected to learn anything new from them.
Suppose it depends somewhat on the amount you stand to lose with the application fee & if you're content to take a gamble & possibly end up with nothing.

mrskafoops

Team Captain
May 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Honestly, regardless of the BS reply you received re the consent of 3rd parties, I very much doubt you will be given anything that hasn't already been reported by the newspapers & if if you did, repeating it would probably land you in the sh*t, hence we haven't already read about it.
I don't have a clue about FOI requests & I may be wrong, but I would assume the media would request them fairly regularly if they expected to learn anything new from them.
Suppose it depends somewhat on the amount you stand to lose with the application fee & if you're content to take a gamble & possibly end up with nothing.
You’re right, got this email today:

In this instance I would recommend withdrawing your application and either applying for a criminal injuries compensation report or re-applying to Freedom of Information. Both of which will need a signed authority from Miss Julie Cutler.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
You’re right, got this email today:

In this instance I would recommend withdrawing your application and either applying for a criminal injuries compensation report or re-applying to Freedom of Information. Both of which will need a signed authority from Miss Julie Cutler.
The only way you'll ever have police publicly release information about this cold case is if Julie's relatives apply to the coroner to hold an inquest, and that would be if they want to have the coroner make a finding that in all likelihood that she could be reasonably considered to be Deceased, and the coroner agrees to hold such an inquest.

At present this is still an active police investigation, and that is the 1st of many grounds of exemption from FOI, beside whichever you've been told so far. I'd agree that withdrawing it will save you doing your money.

If there was any chance that information from the public could add value to Police inquiries, I'm sure that they have already released it. Having said that, a close up picture of the pen might help them obtain some information from the public as it could be distinctive enough to unlock someone's memory of a long forgotten event.

mrskafoops

Team Captain
May 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
The only way you'll ever have police publicly release information about this cold case is if Julie's relatives apply to the coroner to hold an inquest, and that would be if they want to have the coroner make a finding that in all likelihood that she could be reasonably considered to be Deceased, and the coroner agrees to hold such an inquest.

At present this is still an active police investigation, and that is the 1st of many grounds of exemption from FOI, beside whichever you've been told so far. I'd agree that withdrawing it will save you doing your money.

If there was any chance that information from the public could add value to Police inquiries, I'm sure that they have already released it. Having said that, a close up picture of the pen might help them obtain some information from the public as it could be distinctive enough to unlock someone's memory of a long forgotten event.

I was thinking, the stuff found in the sand dunes was never officially linked to this case. The family tentatively identified it as Julie’s. Do you think the police would share a photo of the pen and diary?

Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I was thinking, the stuff found in the sand dunes was never officially linked to this case. The family tentatively identified it as Julie’s. Do you think the police would share a photo of the pen and diary?
My first thought was that I'm sure the Post did yet I can't find them after a quick look, so I suppose they didn't but my memory isn't reliable at all recently.

If not, you have to question why the hell they didn't considering they searched the area in 2002 & again in 2018 while flooding the media with reports of the found items soon after launching another appeal for new info, so to not put them forth to assist potentially jogging memories feels like a massive oversight. Not at all surprising though really, seeing WAP's idiotic MO is to give nothing away ever, mostly to their detriment IMO & especially stupid when the reports included this from police.

Det-Sgt Hamilton.
"Any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem in isolation, may be crucial in the context of the broader investigation and we urge anyone with information to come forward."

Yet didn't once think seeing the actual items may assist their plight considerably... FFS! Sometimes I shake my head in disbelief & wonder how the hell they ever solve anything at all.

The fact the items were found in October 1996 & given to police early 1997 is interesting seeing it was in the middle of the CSK murders & I'm torn between wondering how they could have destroyed them at all seeing missing women was such a big focus at the time & wondering if they thought much beyond checking with the Spiers & Rimmers before quickly deciding they had little value at all?

Despite what they've said, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if they didn't even personally show them to anyone linked to Julie who was likely to have actually known. Ie. Her flat mate, close friends.
They probably just asked her dad or younger sister, both of whom were unlikely to ever have been able to answer that reliably.

I guarantee my dad would be a 50/50 chance to identify even 1 of my meagre 15 handbag collection & that would only be the one I'm currently using as a daily. Any others & there's not even the slightest chance! My own partner wouldn't recognise 10 of them & he sees them every single day.
It's something only a good friend or same sex family member who visits your home regularly would reliably know & I'd guess they were never asked when it really mattered.

So c'mon WAPS put them out there publically! Release it to us & let someone possibly help you finally! I know you poke your heads in here. Release the damn pictures you fools!!

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
A purse was found in the dunes while Julie's wallet was found at her home. Would a female carry or use a wallet and a purse?

zedx

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
My first thought was that I'm sure the Post did yet I can't find them after a quick look, so I suppose they didn't but my memory isn't reliable at all recently.

If not, you have to question why the hell they didn't considering they searched the area in 2002 & again in 2018 while flooding the media with reports of the found items soon after launching another appeal for new info, so to not put them forth to assist potentially jogging memories feels like a massive oversight. Not at all surprising though really, seeing WAP's idiotic MO is to give nothing away ever, mostly to their detriment IMO & especially stupid when the reports included this from police.

Det-Sgt Hamilton.
"Any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem in isolation, may be crucial in the context of the broader investigation and we urge anyone with information to come forward."

Yet didn't once think seeing the actual items may assist their plight considerably... FFS! Sometimes I shake my head in disbelief & wonder how the hell they ever solve anything at all.

The fact the items were found in October 1996 & given to police early 1997 is interesting seeing it was in the middle of the CSK murders & I'm torn between wondering how they could have destroyed them at all seeing missing women was such a big focus at the time & wondering if they thought much beyond checking with the Spiers & Rimmers before quickly deciding they had little value at all?

Despite what they've said, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if they didn't even personally show them to anyone linked to Julie who was likely to have actually known. Ie. Her flat mate, close friends.
They probably just asked her dad or younger sister, both of whom were unlikely to ever have been able to answer that reliably.

I guarantee my dad would be a 50/50 chance to identify even 1 of my meagre 15 handbag collection & that would only be the one I'm currently using as a daily. Any others & there's not even the slightest chance! My own partner wouldn't recognise 10 of them & he sees them every single day.
It's something only a good friend or same sex family member who visits your home regularly would reliably know & I'd guess they were never asked when it really mattered.

So c'mon WAPS put them out there publically! Release it to us & let someone possibly help you finally! I know you poke your heads in here. Release the damn pictures you fools!!
A purse was found in the dunes while Julie's wallet was found at her home. Would a female carry or use a wallet and a purse?
Some times a small ladies bag is referred to as a purse.

Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I have 2. My purse is a larger female purse in the usual sense that's chock full of everything I don't want to lose readily. Ie. All my cards, licences, birth certificate, memberships etc. That always stays home coz it's inconvenient to have something that large with me constantly if I don't need ¾ of it.
The other is a smaller male wallet I use daily & only put in whatever it is I need depending on where I'm going.
If I was going to work I'd take some cash & my swipe card but all else would stay in the purse. A night out would be my ATM & ID & to dinner I'd just take a credit card.

zedx

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have 2. My purse is a larger female purse in the usual sense that's chock full of everything I don't want to lose readily. Ie. All my cards, licences, birth certificate, memberships etc. That always stays home coz it's inconvenient to have something that large with me constantly if I don't need ¾ of it.
The other is a smaller male wallet I use daily & only put in whatever it is I need depending on where I'm going.
If I was going to work I'd take some cash & my swipe card but all else would stay in the purse. A night out would be my ATM & ID & to dinner I'd just take a credit card.
I have a collection of what I call purses (but aren't purses in the real sense ) they are all about 15 x 15cm with closing clips at the top with small handles/chains etc which are only big enough to hold by hand. I only use them for special occasions as they are either very very old or overly decorated. I also have a large wallet which I call a purse. Then I have all my hand bags :). My Grand Father always called my Nanna's hand bag her purse. Ladies wallets also used to be called a purse. So the description of a purse is really not a clear description.

mrskafoops

Team Captain
May 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast

Det-Sgt Hamilton.

One Eyed Spy… I asked the Post about the photo and got this today.. I hope they find it if they have it!!!!

I was able to retrieve our coverage of the police search in November 2018, published on December 1, 2018, but have not been able to locate any images of the purse, diary and pen recovered from the dunes in 1997. See attached pdf files. We are continuing the search and will let you know how we get on.
Regards
Leigh Martin
subeditor

Attachments

• 8066DC88-1668-4A79-9D34-1ADE7A09453D.jpeg
    8066DC88-1668-4A79-9D34-1ADE7A09453D.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 31
  • B94DEAF5-99FB-475A-81ED-F825339743B4.jpeg
    B94DEAF5-99FB-475A-81ED-F825339743B4.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 33
  • BDF60F1D-E5AF-4C23-9825-0D71445800C4.jpeg
    BDF60F1D-E5AF-4C23-9825-0D71445800C4.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 24
  • F7AFB0A7-2209-4D88-AA83-8ED56DE61B84.jpeg
    F7AFB0A7-2209-4D88-AA83-8ED56DE61B84.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 7D01AAC8-0979-4607-83EF-FCBFFC492B88.png
    7D01AAC8-0979-4607-83EF-FCBFFC492B88.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 018060D7-E329-4DC2-B247-7C515D8FB431.png
    018060D7-E329-4DC2-B247-7C515D8FB431.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 32
Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
So the description of a purse is really not a clear description.
So true. To confuse the issue further I don't ever refer to anything I own as a purse. It's my big wallet, my wallet & just "my bag". What you refer to as a purse, I call a handbag.
Edit - To clarify the item I envisage when the term "purse" is used is not a bag of any description. It's the item I refer to as my big wallet & the one most women would usually have with them inside their shoulder bag. The item they would keep cash in.

Last edited:

mrskafoops

Team Captain
May 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
So true. To confuse the issue further I don't ever refer to anything I own as a purse. It's my big wallet, my wallet & just "my bag". What you refer to as a purse, I call a handbag.
Edit - To clarify the item I envisage when the term "purse" is used is not a bag of any description. It's the item I refer to as my big wallet & the one most women would usually have with them inside their shoulder bag. The item they would keep cash in.
Kind of like this I’m guessing

Attachments

• 69FCA644-D407-4C65-A89A-8E697E3E6D7A.jpeg
    69FCA644-D407-4C65-A89A-8E697E3E6D7A.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 26
  • D893FEEC-C0E7-402F-AF2A-BBC5A7FC9A6C.jpeg
    D893FEEC-C0E7-402F-AF2A-BBC5A7FC9A6C.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 25

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
If the pen was given out at a function at the Parmelia or by a particular person who was looking at buying the Parmelia it could jog someone's memory of the event and when it occurred, which would help put a time frame upon the provenance of those items found buried in the sand dunes. Which itself might lead to some further avenues of investigation. That is my reasoning for releasing a photo of the biro.

zedx

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
If the pen was given out at a function at the Parmelia or by a particular person who was looking at buying the Parmelia it could jog someone's memory of the event and when it occurred, which would help put a time frame upon the provenance of those items found buried in the sand dunes. Which itself might lead to some further avenues of investigation. That is my reasoning for releasing a photo of the biro.

Agree, a photo of all the items may jog some ones memory. I can't think of any good reason why a photo would not be released.

Back