Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I reckon if you had 44 Chad Rintouls on your list, you'd be looking pretty good" - Scott Camporeale probably.

Relatively speaking. He was a fine player, but an example of the lesser pure talent in that team

My point is, he was on the lower side of pure talent (not output or quality) in that side and he still didn’t lack for talent

When Brett James is an example of your more workman like talents, then you’ve got plenty of talent!

Totally true what you said about those sides. Even the blokes at the absolute bottom end, the last couple picked, could slip under the radar and do some real cameo damage.

Last edited:
The 5 C’s have to come together at the same time

Chair
CEO
Coach
Captain
Cattle
Jury is still out on many of those Cs

We certainly need better cattle

Hopefully Doedee is Captain in 2022

Chairman has come in and changes the clubs purpose back to being here to win Premierships

CEO, its still early days

Coach, did not only inherit a list that was broken, but a club that was a rabble

Nicks has had to rebuild the clubs footy culture, and the teams values.

Where we stand now we are exactly where the Lions were in their 1st 2 years of rebuild, the Lions did not have the challenges of training a young list during extensive periods of covid. Year 3 was the season the Lions really started to advance, the coaching panel is on notice for 2022.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

At the beginning of the year most experts, and posters had 6 wins as a success this year

For me we are around were we expected to be

It woukd have been nice to win the Hawks and Freo games earlier in the year, with that said I wasn't expecting to beat Melbourne, or Geeelong either

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine having the luxury to free roam DJ. That's how good that team was in the midfield. Good to classy players on every line. Ellen was a depth player and he was no slouch. We just had a team full of class in those years. In 05 and 06 we had a great team but we lacked the class. The reality is the draft probably got us. This obsession to play for finals every year even though we clearly didn't have the team, rather then develop young guys hurt us. It was the culture back then though.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
we were minor Premiers 2005 unlike 97 98.
Craig played for a minor premiership wouldn't rest guys wouldnt make positional changes.
You reckon Ellen lines up at FF under Craig?

1997 forward line named included smart, rintoul, Sampson, Ellen, with pathetic pitman chb.

The bog average plodder BJ loved Blight. Just a great teacher and coach

People forget those 1997/98 teams were jam packed with high talent. The team was literally dripping with top end, crazy levels of talent above graft.

Our plodders were Brett James & Clay Sampson, these were not low ability guys either

fu** knows where this obsession with character over talent came from.

Bernie Vince wasn't it?

Serious doubts on 3 of those and it's neither of the first 2.
The most important people in a club are Football Director/Football Operations Manager, List Manager, Recruiting Manager, Coach, Head of Fitness. We currently have Mark Riccuito(Football Director), Justin Reid (List Manager-Riccuito's ex-manager mate who he hired along with the failed Brett Burton), Hamish Ogilvie(Recruiting Manager for past 11 years), Mathew Nick's(learnt from Ken Hinkley and Leon Cameron-2 coaches with no success), Head of Fitness ? (Not sure we have one). Adam Kelly deserves a mention. Apparently Head of Football and likely reporting to Riccuito and Silvers. Has been highly unimpressive since coming onboard.

Then have a look at our assistants. Not a lot of quality other than Burns. Van Berlo may develop into a good assistant but the move from WCE to the Crows was a strange one imo. Clarke is part of the furniture and needed to go along with Campo. Godden, enough said. Reilly and Wright, 2 ex players who don't seem to add anything.
  • Scott Burns. Senior Assistant Coach (Defenders)
  • Nathan Van Berlo. Assistant Coach (Midfield)
  • James Rahilly. Assistant Coach (Forwards)
  • Matthew Clarke. Rucks Coach.
  • Michael Godden. SANFL & Development Coach.
  • Brent Reilly. Development Coach.
  • Matthew Wright. Academy & Development Coach.
If anyone thinks the people running our club are quality have another deeper look. If I had to choose the 3 biggest problems to get rid of first it would be Riccuito, Ogilvie, Reid. Adam Kelly and Mathew Nick's would be close behind them.

In saying all of that none of this change will take place under our current failed Board and Chairman. Real change will only occur when the deadwood on our board is gone and a decent chairman is appointed.

Last edited:
The most important people in a club are Football Director/Football Operations Manager, List Manager, Recruiting Manager, Coach, Head of Fitness. We currently have Mark Riccuito(Football Director), Justin Reid (List Manager-Riccuito's ex-manager mate who he hired along with the failed Brett Burton), Hamish Ogilvie(Recruiting Manager for past 11 years), Mathew Nick's(learnt from Ken Hinkley and Leon Cameron-2 coaches with no success), Head of Fitness ? (Not sure we have one). Adam Kelly deserves a mention. Apparently Head of Football and likely reporting to Riccuito and Silvers. Has been highly unimpressive since coming onboard.

Then have a look at our assistants. Not a lot of quality other than Burns.
  • Scott Burns. Senior Assistant Coach (Defenders)
  • Nathan Van Berlo. Assistant Coach (Midfield)
  • James Rahilly. Assistant Coach (Forwards)
  • Matthew Clarke. Rucks Coach.
  • Michael Godden. SANFL & Development Coach.
  • Brent Reilly. Development Coach.
  • Matthew Wright. Academy & Development Coach.
If anyone thinks the people running our club are quality have another deeper look. If I had to choose the 3 biggest problems to get rid of first it would be Riccuito, Ogilvie, Reid. Adam Kelly and Mathew Nick's would be close behind them.

Adam Kelly ran a racing club that probably had 20 meeting a year, a WAFL club and then a footy league. Wholly uninspiring work history to rebuild an elite level footy dept that was totally on its knees. But we have Silvers around now and he knows what a good footy dept looks like. I'd have loved Balme for 12-24 months to put the structures and cultures in place and then leave it to the likes of Kelly to keep it going.

Adam Kelly ran a racing club that probably had 20 meeting a year, a WAFL club and then a footy league. Wholly uninspiring work history to rebuild an elite level footy dept that was totally on its knees. But we have Silvers around now and he knows what a good footy dept looks like. I'd have loved Balme for 12-24 months to put the structures and cultures in place and then leave it to the likes of Kelly to keep it going.
Just hearing Kelly speak would have been enough for me at his interview. No wonder Riccuito liked him. Clarko and Balme with a decent list management / recruiting team would sort the club out. It would still take them 7 or 8 years to rebuild the club as the list is in a terrible mess. Under our current group we are looking at 15 -20 years if they managed to get it right which I highly doubt. Btw Balme has intimated he still wants to come back to SA. I believe he has sorted out his health scare. I also feel Clarko would be open to getting out of Victoria after a year break. I don't think Clarko will take either the Carlton or Collingwood jobs on offer.

Last edited:
I know it's not a club issue, but this latest incident is a line in the sand tfor me. I want everyone who has been associated with the club since the crajg era moved on. Tex, Sloane, roo, Van Brelo all of them.

We are going nowhere with any of them hanging around.

I know it's not a club issue, but this latest incident is a line in the sand tfor me. I want everyone who has been associated with the club since the crajg era moved on. Tex, Sloane, roo, Van Brelo all of them.

Think it's more the Chapman/Trigg/Fagan/Roo era of spineless administrators that have ****ed our club the most. Going all the way back to the arrogance of not allowing the riffraff into the "new shed" at Footy Park. It's a long list of poor decisions, arrogance, taking the easy way out and a refusal to take accountability ever since.

Jameson also needs the Nigel Smart treatment. Another cancer on the club who needs to be removed.

The 2017 era too please
Walker, Sloane, Lynch, Mackay, Crouch, Talia, Kelly, Seedsman, Brown, Smith, Laird.

Talia, Kelly, Crouch, Mackay and Lynch should all be gone this season. Not that Crouch or Talia are that bad.

Seedsman is serviceable for a couple more seasons whilst this rebuild continues.
Smith an enigma. Trade? Doesn't really do enough.
Brown. Not convinced he's guaranteed best 22 next season. Happy for Jones to take his place.
Laird. One that holds his place into the future.
Sloane. His contract finish can't come soon enough.
Walker killed his career this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back