gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Willow and Newman were alright yesterday. Newman not at his best but he's a good player, Williamson is growing and he's a terrific kick and competitor.

Fogarty's issue is his kicking. 0.3 says it all.

SPS won a lot of ball which was good. Was he hard at it though? Did he go when he had to and tackle strong? The bit I watched he looked ok, very outside which is fine but in the AFL it's a lack of will to go that put him here.

McGovern has to be a chance.

Kemp is quality but who does he replace? Not Plowman he's going too well. We need to play kemp on a wing for a bit.

Ramsay was quiet but IMO he could be really good on a wing. Too small for AFL? He's about the same size as club legend Kade Simpson. Being played out of position currently, as is Carroll however Carroll is being played in a position that may see him get an AFL game with form, at least.

would love to see the crew back together next week...mitch, charlie, harry!!!
"You ain't goin' back on the road no more, and you ain't playin' them ol' two-bit sleazy dives".
"You're livin' with me now, and you not gonna go slidin' around witcho ol' white hoodlum friends".

Been calling for Carlton to use Silvagni and/or McGovern as part time ruckmen all year, I'm delighted to see we have finally figured this out.
You kidding lol if Pitto and Levi didn’t get injured we would’ve figured out nothing ….

The mother of all injury lists is the necessity for all Carlton invention...

Mondyboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm a huge fan of Willo's defensive ability, would comfortably take him over Newman from that perspective. He's figuring out the balance between defence and offence incrementally.

His running ability is a distinct advantage over Newman, which should keep him in the side herein.

Still hasn’t figured out what his limits are. But he’s improved in recent weeks. And he kicked two goals. So that’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mondyboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d be very surprised if Gov wasn’t picked. Took some really strong marks. Leapt well in the ruck. Could have kicked a bag, but the wind stuff him up.

In short looked like an AFL player. I wouldn’t play him back though. Needs to play forward with Charles and H.

And happy for Kemp not to play. As people have said, Willo would be stiff if he was dropped.

"You ain't goin' back on the road no more, and you ain't playin' them ol' two-bit sleazy dives".
"You're livin' with me now, and you not gonna go slidin' around witcho ol' white hoodlum friends".

Great reference.

Respect.

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d be very surprised if Gov wasn’t picked. Took some really strong marks. Leapt well in the ruck. Could have kicked a bag, but the wind stuff him up.

In short looked like an AFL player. I wouldn’t play him back though. Needs to play forward with Charles and H.

And happy for Kemp not to play. As people have said, Willo would be stiff if he was dropped.

He really doesn’t need many disposals to affect a game his kicking accuracy beyond 40 meters is a weapon.
His speed and leap draws players leaving Harry and Charlie one out he’s a smart player knows where and how to lead
I’m looking forward to his return

Beyond Blue

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
The definition of Irony...in the lead up to a game where we desperately need a ruckman and an ex Carlton ruckman on loan from the Bombers was best on ground for the Carlton reserves...footy is some sort of game isn’t it!

Samo and Fog cracked in without being decisively exceptional, Mitch, Parks and Cotters were serviceable but the rest look a way off for me.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
SPS - Good chance of promotion, just not sure there is a spot in the team for him, played mostly in a more outside role in the middle and a little half forward. Who would he replace in our side? Has his tackling lifted? Pretty tough decision. You could consider bringing him in for Owies but that's not the role he played and he did miss kickable goals.

Cottrell - Played ok, great competitor but does not use the ball well enough, compared to O'Brien who is a good kick and is coming off a good AFL performance. Don't think a spot has opened up on the wing.

McGovern - Played mostly forward, took the ruck up forward and was fairly good but a bit rusty. Went to half back and ruck in the last quarter where he was good. I think he could play a forward/Ruck role in the seniors. Lacking match fitness but the season is almost done.

Fogarty - Like his aggression, he is hard at it and got a bit of the footy but that's not his problem. His problem is that he butchers the ball, especially in front of goal and after kicking 0.3 nothing has changed. IMO should be no chance of coming back in unless we pick him as a pure midfielder (we wont) or he tidies up his kicking and we can play him forward then and he hasn't done that. Liked his effort and how he went about it but needs to be cleaner. Our team has been burnt from bad goal kicking of which he has been a part of so must tidy up before he returns.

Parks - Thought he was alright, not a dominant force but there wasn't a heap going on back there. He's ready to go if we need him.

Kemp - Has a lot of talent, playing at CHB, he does good clean things when it comes his way but it didn't come his way a hell of a lot. Probably needs Plowman to get injured to get an AFL game as he doesn't really replace any of our other defenders. Not a smaller defender or KPP at AFL level yet but a third tall spot would suite him. Maybe if we are playing a tall forward line. He's only been playing back so bringing him in in another position isn't on the cards, it's a shame we haven't thrown him forward at times. Could have been handy if he showed form with so many forwards being out, particularly against North. He's ready to go when a spot opens.

Ramsay - Played half back/back pocket, Wasn't really in the action with our strong performance. Made a couple of errors but nothing to worry about IMO. Was up the ground more in the last quarter and looked far more at home. Has a footy brain, knows when to go and when to hold and when to peel off and when to play tight it seems. Skills look fine, laid a strong tackle towards the end. His light build does not bother me at all, I think he could play AFL. Was kicking goals and having high 20s and 30 possession games when playing mid/forward, I'd like to know why we have shifted him?

I didn't really notice Durdin and Carroll a lot, neither had massive games, Durdin got involved playing up around the middle a bit more but both were quiet.

Last edited:

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Does it?

14 goals 25 behinds tells me there was a pretty significant wind out there today.

He misses goals from right in front regularly, he did it today. It looked a bit windy but it was a defensive games and there were a fair few shots from long range. Fogarty is a terrible shot for goal, it's not just that his accuracy is poor it's that he misses easy shots. He's a serial misser and misser of easy shots at AFL level, he was no different today, last thing we need is a 0.3 forward. Really not interested in forwards who are regularly seen running towards goal in close range with time to straighten and miss, regardless of how well they play as midfielders in the VFL.

Last edited:
Back