Toast Round 20 = Collingwood 90-45 West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

We won largely based on our established senior players. Our young guys may make it, they also may not. I dont think any of them are locks to be on AFL lists in 4-5 years time. They haven't shown outstanding quality, just some competence here and there. Geez, young players can cause people to be willfully ignorant.

I am interested in how Macrae will look next season. He is completely out of his depth physically, so hoping he can come on in that area and believe he has the most potential of our young bunch. Like his composure.

Henry/Poulter/Macrare/Mcreery have show at least at AFL Level this Year they should easily be on our list in 4-5 Seasons and could be some of our Better Players too

We won largely based on our established senior players. Our young guys may make it, they also may not. I dont think any of them are locks to be on AFL lists in 4-5 years time. They haven't shown outstanding quality, just some competence here and there. Geez, young players can cause people to be willfully ignorant.

I am interested in how Macrae will look next season. He is completely out of his depth physically, so hoping he can come on in that area and believe he has the most potential of our young bunch. Like his composure.
Sheeesh....some people are hard to please.

Club's just had arguably it's best win for the season, beating a Top 8 side, smashing them by 45 points, and all you can muster is (1) our young players look competent at times; and (2) MacRae looks completely out of his depth physically.

Not a glass half full guy it seems, and also seems that you have neither of the qualities in your user name.

What isn't to like. Thats one of those days I'm tempted to put "team effort" in the bests. Everyone played their role. Abso*******lutely awesome.

The Credit Where Credit is Due Section

Steele Sidebottom. I have been seriously critical, but maybe responsibility brought out his best. That was a leadership moment game

JT. Found a new lease on life worthy of Dorian Gray. Playing good footy and strong team player

JDG - earning his payday and showing talent can meet application and result in awesomeness

Grundy - Kicked ass and took names. Tackles, clearances, owning the field. Thats what Im talking bout.

The youngsters Making me Bone Up in a Non-Homoerotic Way Section

Henry - Looks a silky machine. Wait till he has a few more preseasons and kilos, he is already building confidence in spades.

Fin Macrae - Silky, good positioning, good decision making, prepared to be creative. Another in the give me a couple more preseasons and watch and enjoy list

Minivan - He and McCreery are going to be a headache.

IQ - better balance of attack and defence. That goal!

Trey Ruscoe. A natural HBF with skills, poise, and courage. Wow

Trent Bianco - He's got a lot of natural talent, just needs more games. Keeps on keeping on, and generally a great user, doesnt waste it.

The Old Pros being old Pros section

Crispy - Responsible for my erotic attachment to stakeknives

Adams - Yes he can't kick, but he is harder than the proverbial and gives it all

Howe - I didnt think he would be able to come straight in and pick up the pace. I was wrong. We have missed him.

I'm the first to admit I'm baked and sozzled right now, but that was great and a positive sight for the future.

The unsung player I want to give praise to is Roughead. Loving his efforts this year.

But obviously its the youngsters who are generating excitement. I think we've seen enough from Bianco, McCreery, Henry, Poulter, Ruscoe, Macrae and Ginnivan to suggest they'll play plenty of senior footy in 2022. Macrae and Ginnivan might play more VFL than the others, but all of that group has showed plenty of AFL traits this year which is really exciting.

Very pleasing performance, and one of our best wins in a long time.

Thought the Eagles were abysmal with their pressure and giving us plenty of space to move the ball freely, but we still did the hard yards and worked well as a team.

Really satisfied with our senior players today. Sidebottom was excellent with the added responsibilities as acting captain. De Goey is maturing as a midfielder and Grundy was very good as well.

Loving the way our youngsters are coming on. Ruscoe, Macrae, Bianco and Henry are all developing nicely. Ruscoe's transformation as a defender has been remarkable. Henry is a raw talent, but his marking ability is excellent. Macrae has similar skill sets to his older brother.

Harvey has got the team playing better football. We're using the corridor more often and playing free flowing football. It's easier to accept any errors that arise from risky football if you can see the playing group take the game on. He won't be our next coach, but I've liked the way he's gone about it as caretaker.

Think it's safe to say we've avoided the spoon. Hopefully another win beckons next week against the Hawks.

The unsung player I want to give praise to is Roughead. Loving his efforts this year.

But obviously its the youngsters who are generating excitement. I think we've seen enough from Bianco, McCreery, Henry, Poulter, Ruscoe, Macrae and Ginnivan to suggest they'll play plenty of senior footy in 2022. Macrae and Ginnivan might play more VFL than the others, but all of that group has showed plenty of AFL traits this year which is really exciting.
Deserves a top 5 B & F finish, hope he achieves it.

Sounds like a fair and balanced assessment.

A nice 45 point loss for the 45 yr old milestone gamer Hurn.
Please, his thighs are magnificent!

giphy.gif

Thoughts Here2tellyouwhy ?

Trying not to read to much into this, couldnt help but look at the ladder position to see if there was any mathematical hope of making it…alas there is not!

New coach, new approach…happens more often than not that there is an up tick in performance as teams learn and adjust to the new style. The win was further compounded by a non existent west coast. Great game for us. Let’s hope it’s the beginning of something new.

Sorry but miocheck is our most consistent player...absolute gun

Yup. Understand that point of view. But watch the game again.
Every time he gets it. He stops, waits, looks…..and then bombs it long. He was everything we hated about our game plan earlier in the year.

don’t mix previous performance with what happened today.

Bookending praise with demeaning statements.

No team gives up an easy 4 points. If we were pushovers the Eagles would have dominated. They're a good side and we smashed them.

Take the solid win and be happy. This was a good day. We haven't had many.

Clearly I’m not getting this.

so how about this…..

“Eagles were really on their game, we smashed them in the middle and OMG how hard were we in the contest. I was so impressed with how hard we went and contest after contest we came out on top.”

….do you think that reflects the game??
fFS get a grip. Eagles applied no pressure and no team with any intent would lose to them today.
That doesn’t mean there weren’t positives and lots to look forward to.
Perhaps I shouldn’t provide a balanced view in the future??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilfully ignorant ?
Because you chose to be downcast, joyless and sullen?
Give it a rest sport.

How good has Ruscoe been? 😍

Ruscoe's big weapon are those attacking 25-35m corridor kicks. He has amazing decision making and skill execution. It's a tactical change that is a breath of fresh air. It's amazing what happens when players play with freedom.

Ruscoe's big weapon are those attacking 25-35m corridor kicks. He has amazing decision making and skill execution. It's a tactical change that is a breath of fresh air. It's amazing what happens when players play with freedom.
He seems to think and act very quickly, Quicky. And then his kicks are creative and precise.

Clearly I’m not getting this.

so how about this…..

“Eagles were really on their game, we smashed them in the middle and OMG how hard were we in the contest. I was so impressed with how hard we went and contest after contest we came out on top.”

….do you think that reflects the game??
fFS get a grip. Eagles applied no pressure and no team with any intent would lose to them today.
That doesn’t mean there weren’t positives and lots to look forward to.
Perhaps I shouldn’t provide a balanced view in the future??

You can only ever play the team in front of you. We happened to wipe the floor with them. I reckon credits due because we played well, executed our skills, had an offensive intent and brought the heat. I reckon it's been a long season and its important to enjoy these moments.

He seems to think and act very quickly, Quicky. And then his kicks are creative and precise.

Yeah spot on, he reacts quickly and executes. The whole team were hitting those flat precise passes today. It's been really enjoyable to watch

Bookending praise with demeaning statements.

No team gives up an easy 4 points. If we were pushovers the Eagles would have dominated. They're a good side and we smashed them.

Take the solid win and be happy. This was a good day. We haven't had many.

just read this again….at what point did I say we were “
You can only ever play the team in front of you. We happened to wipe the floor with them. I reckon credits due because we played well, executed our skills, had an offensive intent and brought the heat. I reckon it's been a long season and its important to enjoy these moments.

I never said we didn’t play well. We clearly
Did!!!
Nor did I say we were pushovers.

I simply said that with the way the
Eagles played , any AFL team with intent would have wiped the floor…..as we did!!

I was making comment on players and what I see. Butit’s important you make that comment with a view on the opposition.

What the heck is up with Ruscoe? He covers the ground, loves a tackle, spoils when required and kicks to his team mates.
What’s going on ??

What's going on is we've changed our tactics to utilise our dominant defence as a launching pad for a fast offensive game plan AND Ruscoe has been returned to his natural position. Imagine if we'd stayed a static dour team and left Ruscoe forward? He'd be a player most wouldn't care see get delisted. These are all those little decisions that will help position the club for a return back up the ladder.

Last edited:
Wow, great showing! That first half was very impressive, and the whole game we didn't give them a sniff.

As per many of the above, very excited about the kids and the future, some encouraging displays today.

Ruscoe in particular looks a million bucks all of a sudden, and Macrae's best game too. Similar to Henry a few weeks back, finally got to string a few chances together and get the game on his terms a little more

just read this again….at what point did I say we were “

I never said we didn’t play well. We clearly
Did!!!
Nor did I say we were pushovers.

I simply said that with the way the
Eagles played , any AFL team with intent would have wiped the floor…..as we did!!

I was making comment on players and what I see. Butit’s important you make that comment with a view on the opposition.

You can still lose to s**t teams. Your comment to me comes across as we only played well because Eagles were poor. I don't think that acknowledges how good the performance was.

If this is the Harvey game style I’m wondering wtf has he been doing for the past 10 seasons? Yes as an assistant he probably doesn’t get the say of the senior coach but as a line coach come on we never saw this. Is this an indictment on him or Bucks refusal to change? Either way I can’t see him getting our job otherwise BF will melt down.

Glad to see sidey play so well.

At least Gary Lyon Mentioned we did not have Pendles and Moore

When we were 1 point each in the 1st quarter I remember Lyon saying something like 'I bet Pies fans are glad they're not in the stadium' insinuating we were playing poorly. He was just waiting to stick the knife in. Next minute we've obliterated the Eagles. The blokes a total * wit.

What's going on is we've changed our tactics to utilise our dominant defence as a launching pad for a fast offensive game plan AND Ruscoe has been returned to his natural position. Imagine if we'd stayed a static dour team and left Ruscoe forward? He'd be a player most wouldn't care see get delisted. These are all those little decisions that will help position the club for a return back up the ladder.
He really is technically and practically an excellent short kick, head over the ball, body in line, a technique that is going to hold up. Not sure just yet if he can defend one on one, nor if he can handle a marking type of forward but what he has shown over the past month has been a real plus.
Often seem to gather many of his touches outside or around D 50 which means his 25 meter kicks get us to an attacking midfield position.
Has brought alot to the group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back