The Hundred

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawid Malan is a strange batsman. He's not a slogger. World class T20 batsman because he plays like he has all the time in the world. In this game he has notched up 60 without playing a shot in anger. I would have thought if you have that kind of calmness and easiness at the crease in the shortest format then you ought to have a bit more opportunity at test level. It's not like England are stacked with talent in the batting order.

As a wild insomniac, my standards for sport I’ll watch overnight are pretty low - especially as it comes to cricket.

I just don’t understand the point of this though. It changes too much of what we know about cricket for no reason other than gimmickry, and I don’t understand the creation of the game in the first place given the success of T20.

I don't understand what people aren't getting. It's 20 less balls per innings to (theoretically) get a match done inside 2.5 hours per the wishes of broadcasters--no trivial matter given that revenue and exposure from TV is crucial to keep growing the game.

I don't understand what people aren't getting. It's 20 less balls per innings to (theoretically) get a match done inside 2.5 hours per the wishes of broadcasters--no trivial matter given that revenue and exposure from TV is crucial to keep growing the game.

Speaking for myself I don't like the weird allocation of some bowlers are going through ten-ball overs while others are bowling five-ball overs. It catches me out as a seasoned fan of the sport so I'm not sure how it makes sense to newcomers.

As a wild insomniac, my standards for sport I’ll watch overnight are pretty low - especially as it comes to cricket.

I just don’t understand the point of this though. It changes too much of what we know about cricket for no reason other than gimmickry, and I don’t understand the creation of the game in the first place given the success of T20.
The last part was so they could get the game in within 2.5hrs for the BBC which T20 cant do but they've been going over that so far anyway.

If you've ever watched a cricket match before in your life, this isn't for you. It's Milo cricket for grown-ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only chance of it not sustaining longterm success will be if they expand it beyond 8 rounds.

Being able to get all the games away in less than a month instantly makes it a better tournament than the IPL and Big Bash.

Think the whole concept is silly, but would be kind of cool if they enforced that each bowler could only bowl one 10 ball over. Teams then need to pick 10 players who can bowl (plus a keeper), increasing the value of allrounders and meaning there is a bowling order as much as a batting order.

That would give the format a meaningful distinction from T20. You have bunny batters so why not also have bunny bowlers?

Think the whole concept is silly, but would be kind of cool if they enforced that each bowler could only bowl one 10 ball over. Teams then need to pick 10 players who can bowl (plus a keeper), increasing the value of allrounders and meaning there is a bowling order as much as a batting order.

That would give the format a meaningful distinction from T20. You have bunny batters so why not also have bunny bowlers?
One would think that's what they've done, going off the contempt it's attracted by those who haven't bothered to watch much or any of the games so far.

It's not about giving it a meaningful distinction from T20. It's about the ECB getting their own league to fully control and increasing cricket's media exposure, so they've already succeeded.

Did you know Darren Gough was on celebrity Love Island one year? That's all I remember of the match played between the Oval Invincibles and the Welsh Fire.

Oval Invincibles (Playing XI): Jason Roy, Will Jacks, Sunil Narine, Sam Billings(w/c), Colin Ingram, Laurie Evans, Jordan Clark, Tom Curran, Tabraiz Shamsi, Reece Topley, Saqib Mahmood

Birmingham Phoenix (Playing XI): Finn Allen, Will Smeed, Moeen Ali(c), Liam Livingstone, Miles Hammond, Chris Benjamin(w), Benny Howell, Adam Milne, Tom Helm, Patrick Brown, Imran Tahir

Phoenix won toss and bowling 1st

Remove this Banner Ad

Back