Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Reckon we might be pretty spent by r.23. Losta youngster's, loooooong year, who knows, another injury or two.

You could see it this week. The weeks since the bye are taking their toll.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we beat the Tigers next week and the Crows game is a live rubber, they’ll drop more players than we did on R23 2015!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
solid just that, solid

It improves them at home. It shouldn't be forgotten the hammering they gave us earlier this year and their team hasn't gotten any worse, player wise.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It improves them at home. It shouldn't be forgotten the hammering they gave us earlier this year and their team hasn't gotten any worse, player wise.
But we have got significantly better, we have pushed far better midfields

Ok, so.

Conveniently for the sake of mental arithmetic, there have been 50 22-game seasons in the VFL/AFL - 1970-2019.

The best record by a wooden spooner is 6-16 by Collingwood in 1976. The 1998 bears went 5-16-1. 6 spooners have gone 5-17, but apart from Brisbane in 2017 (the Rayner/LDU draft) the most recent was Richmond in 1989. 4 of the 6 5-17 spooners were in the 1980s (stk twice, Richmond twice).

the ‘77 Collingwood and ‘99 Brisbane teams played finals. The 2018 Lions were 15th but they finished 2nd in 2019.

History suggests that winning the wooden spoon with 5 or more wins is about a once in a decade thing, and the teams that do it aren’t basket cases. most probable thing at this point is we finish 5-16-1 and don’t catch hawthorn on %age. Normally I’m very anti-spoon for the usual reasons - we have a proud record of not getting them over the last half century, they tend to be won by s**t clubs and there’s not much between the top handful of picks most years. This year? Well, Horne does look like the obvious #1, being the equal second least-shittest spooner in living memory is a thing I guess, and we can be confident that were not actually a basket case. If it happens it happens, if it doesn’t we get a top-5 talent through the door.

Wanting to tank is still ******* idiotic.

Gippy Roo

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2018
Gippsland, VIC.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The amount of people not only comfortable with, but actively barracking for us to finish last so we have pick 1 (despite history suggesting pick 1 is unlikely to actually end up the best player in the draft) is genuinely disturbing.

On that theory we bid on Daicos first then take Horne with pick 2 and pick up the best player in the draft. Simples!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Richmond now need to win every game to have a genuine chance of making the finals. They will be up and about against us. If they beat us, the season is over.

There's no way we beat Sydney. They're flying and somehow genuinely pushing for top 4.

I'd think we'd do Adelaide as well on the balance of probabilities. I agree with RZ; I think the most likely outcome is 5-16-1 and 18th.

There will be one pre-finals but that won't save us.
l thought that the bye round might be getting moved to allow for changes to the remaining rounds and the bye round prior to the finals was no more with some team playing that week also... Some teams might get, rd 21 off, some round 22, some round 23, and others play in round 24....if that was the case then our younger players could rest if the bye was say round 22...

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
l thought that the bye round might be getting moved to allow for changes to the remaining rounds and the bye round prior to the finals was no more with some team playing that week also... Some teams might get, rd 21 off, some round 22, some round 23, and others play in round 24....if that was the case then our younger players could rest if the bye was say round 22...

They might do, can't rule it out but the AFL worked really hard to get all these games on this weekend. I reckon they'll manage the next three weeks but of course ******* covid doesn't give us much choice sometimes.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
I have a sick feeling in my guts that we beat Richmond next week.
I’m so confused!!!!
(Head in hands)

This is the type of s**t I'm talking about.
Feeling sick at the prospect of actually winning games?? I can't believe we have collectively stooped to this level.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
We'll beat one of Richmond or Sydney, and we're a certainty to beat Adelaide imo.
Sorry, but how are we a ‘certainty’?
We’re yet to actually win at Adelaide Oval & there’s a good chance there will be a big home crowd there. We will also be without Ben Cunnington.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back