Autopsy Round 20, 2021: Hawks roll the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't see the 4th qtr but I thought Scrim was magnificent. The intercept marking was outstanding but it his composure and use of the footy that is really standing out now and sets up so many good passages of play. He will be elite very soon.
Personally I think he is elite already.

As good as Lever as an intercept mark but with better disposal and more tricks up his sleeve.

They were showering our back half in praise today on the telecast, and it was missing Day, Jiath, Impey and Sicily. Next year is going to be fun.

Personally I think he is elite already.

As good as Lever as an intercept mark but with better disposal and more tricks up his sleeve.

I rate Scrimshaw, brilliant kick, and his overhead marking improves almost weekly.

But to be elite, as Leaver is, he needs to be able to spend time defending quality forwards one on one.

That ability to both shut-down and influence a game through intercept and rebound is rare, it's what made Gibbo a champion and a fit Sicily elite...

Last edited:
Not a bad win for a side that has, according to the doyen of footy Kane Cornes, a terrible list.

a lot of positives for today obviously, but it was the brand of footy we played that excited most. We ran, we attacked, we found targetsup forward,and the effort was outstanding

very happy hawk after today

And considering the form of Box Hill... Kaneo should feel a little silly.
People are ignoring their really strong form. Young fellas down there learning to win with some really positive attacking footy.
After both days we can certainly feel more positively about our future.

At the start of this year, I predicted that we would do better this year than last, and while it looked a little dicey for a while there, we've got there!

One thing that gives me some confidence Nash can continue in that vein is that what he has is hard to counter.
He wasn't exactly using his smarts to win the ball he just bullied others off it. When he didn't win it he put a lot of pressure on the guy who did. That's 101 stuff for someone his size and agility.
Footy is a hellish game to know how to be in the right place at the right time.

Its great someone has explained to Nash the best way to get near the ball is hang around the two tall blokes when the umpire bounces it or failing that follow the oppositions best mid and he will take you to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed that. Rundown?
A poster overhead Mitchell say to Nash why are you training with the forwards, you don't know how to play forward, to which Nash said 'Yeah, I know'.

The inference to be taken was that Mitchell had assumed everybody to be in agreement with Nash being a midfielder and was nonplussed to see him with the forwards... somebody hadn't got the memo.

That was the moment we all should have known that the succession plan was doomed.

It also highlights Sam Mitchell's genius relative to Clarko's busted flush.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

A poster overhead Mitchell say to Nash why are you training with the forwards, you don't know how to play forward, to which Nash said 'Yeah, I know'.

The inference to be taken was that Mitchell had assumed everybody to be in agreement with Nash being a midfielder and was nonplussed to see him with the forwards... somebody hadn't got the memo.

That was the moment we all should have known that the succession plan was doomed.

It also highlights Sam Mitchell's genius relative to Clarko's busted flush.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks for the rundown. I wonder if this was the game where Nash was named onball (and the Nash raters on bigfooty got excited) and then he played in the FP for three quarters as a pressure forward?

In this sense, it is going to be better having one head of the table from next year. Two chiefs doesn't work.

Another underrated aspect of nash's influence was his wingspan in pressuring their mids out of a stoppage. A few times he pressured the centre clearance kick with arms high and wide and forced some ballooned floaters which we easily picked off. Our mids are not only small and one paced, they can't pressure big like this. Hands in the passing lanes for all the basketball enthusiasts!

Another underrated aspect of nash's influence was his wingspan in pressuring their mids out of a stoppage. A few times he pressured the centre clearance kick with arms high and wide and forced some ballooned floaters which we easily picked off. Our mids are not only small and one paced, they can't pressure big like this. Hands in the passing lanes for all the basketball enthusiasts!

An athletic 197cm tall monster is going to have a big wingspan, but I'd bet his Ape index is in the positive.

The most pleasing part of Nash's game and you may of missed it in the stats was the hits and the hurt he dished out - we celebrate young Jai Newcombe for the tackles (rightfully so) but Nash opened up the midfield allowing Jaegar to use his class and genuinely had the Brisbane mids hearing footsteps.

JK3mii.

We've not had that for a long time, it was sublime to watch everyone get better for having him in there.

To think that we had a ready made, highly skilled (just not in kicking), super sized, elite level athlete on the list gathering cobwebs.

Just a brute of a man, who had shown genuine glimpses on occasion even when being played out of position.

Some players just need to be where the ball is.

I'd argue too, that his output as a pressure forward wasn't any worse to that of our other mids who have been tried there with no success.

If you find my posts moronic then feel free to block me, as I do you.

Both sides of the argument as to the merit of picking Nash, prior to this game, are based on our own person opinions.

How can you possibly hate a player that plays for the club you support? Especially if you don't know the actual person.

Someone expressing that they do not believe that a player is going to cut it at the AFL level does not somehow equate to hating them.

What hateful things are being said about him? That he's not good enough? Doesn't deserve to be picked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back