Autopsy Round 20, 2021: Hawks roll the Lions

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I like RoCo - he's as honest as a footy journalist gets. I know that's a low bar, but I've always appreciated the work he does because he actually sounds like he likes football unlike Barrett, Wilson and co that seem to despise the game and all involved.
Yes when it comes to sports journos he is a rare breed in this country. Not just there for the attention-whore statements like so many others, particular in the the Croc-o-s**t Media stable. I do follow him on Twitter even though he has strong political views that can become grating. If you look past that, he does a decent job and people should support him and his Footyology website. He doesnt have a hatred of our club (or at least has never shown it) for starters, despite being an Essendon supporter.

Last edited:
One thing I've noted from this game and most recent games is that we have such a reliance on structures and "every man playing their role" that we fall to pieces whenever an important player comes off injured. Most of our worst losses and collapses in the past couple of years (of which there has been quite a few) have been off the back of losing a player then being unable to compensate.

Same thing happened here, Lewis comes off and Nash goes forward, all of a sudden Zorko and Lyons have absolutely barnstorming final quarters and we look pedestrian. We were genuinely lucky to get a few goals against the run of play to hold that lead. Maybe this was a failing of Clarko that was covered by the fact that we used to have Hodge, Roughy and Burgoyne who could all play anywhere and fill the gap? Couldn't say for sure, but I do think it's a sign that a new direction and coach will suit this new list better.

I'm excited about the future with Sam Mitchell in charge. He's been great at VFL level, especially given how much our senior injuries have depleted our VFL team. The reports from West Coast players about his influence on their premiership can't be understated.

Last edited:
Mark McKenzie should be explaining to Cegs how good those Gold Coast beaches will be for his tan.

Unfortunately Ceglar has very little market value. We would be lucky to get a third round pick.

Feb 6, 2007
Melb, Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Nash plays one good game and some people think his the savior? Lets just wait to see if he can do this for the remainder of the season

Also the Nash move to the guts has to be Mitchell influence, did it at box hill and the week that Clarko steps down his in the guts? Big coincidence imo

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing I've noted from this game and most recent games is that we have such a reliance on structures and "every man playing their role" that we fall to pieces whenever an important player comes off injured. Most of our worst losses and collapses in the past couple of years (of which there has been quite a few) have been off the back of losing a player then being unable to compensate.

Same thing happened here, Lewis comes off and Nash goes forward, all of a sudden Zorko and Lyons have absolutely barnstorming final quarters and we look pedestrian. We were genuinely lucky to get a few goals against the run of play to hold that lead. Maybe this was a failing of Clarko that was covered by the fact that we used to have Hodge, Roughy and Burgoyne who could all play anywhere and fill the gap? Couldn't say for sure, but I do think it's a sign that a new direction and coach will suit this new list better.

I'm excited about the future with Sam Mitchell in charge. He's been great at VFL level, especially given how much our senior injuries have depleted our VFL team. The reports from West Coast players about his influence on their premiership can't be understated.
I think it is more that we’re aren’t very experienced and not as able to adapt to loss of personnel. Compare this team to 2005,2006. We’re those sides any better at handling injuries?

I think it is more that we’re aren’t very experienced and not as able to adapt to loss of personnel. Compare this team to 2005,2006. We’re those sides any better at handling injuries?

Could also be the case, but this isn't an issue endemic to all young sides. There are other young squads out there who seem to be spurred on by losing a player as it makes them less predictable. It seems that our goal of being predictable to our teammates also makes us predictable to the opposition when the structures break.

It's not just about us losing, it's about us being in winning positions and collapsing from there.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Could also be the case, but this isn't an issue endemic to all young sides. There are other young squads out there who seem to be spurred on by losing a player as it makes them less predictable. It seems that our goal of being predictable to our teammates also makes us predictable to the opposition when the structures break.

It's not just about us losing, it's about us being in winning positions and collapsing from there.
Sorry, which sides are missing some of their best players already and then lose the two best forwards on the ground and still play well?

I think you are reading too much into this. We collapse all the time without injuries. I think our mids were stuffed and without our two best forwards on the ground we didn’t have a get out of jail free card.

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
Its clickbait . He has been saying it for 18 months and will keep saying until we possibly make the 8 again .

I think most agree we do have some decent young talent , we just need a few more .

Kane Cornes is Aker-lite. Basically says stuff to stay relevant/in the public eye without much of an eye for accuracy. I've said this elsewhere, but my life has improved immensely since I stopped consuming footy media and just watched the game.

I was at the game today, and some of his tackles were bone crunching. He kept low and hit them hard with his shoulder. Some of those that he tackled to some time to get back to their feet
I'm looking forward to next season, there's a certain 'danger' player that I hope he drills hard into the turf

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Nash plays one good game and some people think his the savior? Lets just wait to see if he can do this for the remainder of the season

Also the Nash move to the guts has to be Mitchell influence, did it at box hill and the week that Clarko steps down his in the guts? Big coincidence imo
Statistically he is killing it in that position based on the limited games he has played there

Maybe not the savior, but the question was whether Nash was a forward or a mid, and based on his Box Hill form and now what we saw on the weekend, we have a very strong answer.

How good of a midfielder he could be, remains to be seen.

The change in gameplan was evident, much fewer handballs out the back, everything seemed forward and to a running target.
It was like the directive was 'Don't look back!'
Anyone think he should still be traded? 😂
But we could get an unknown that could be anything. 🙄
Hardwick under the radar again..
David King acknowledged him in the game yesterday along the lines of, 'you would hate for Dimma to walk over to you at the start of a game. He gives you nothing!'

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
The only thing I read of Kane Cornes is on this forum. Please stop it.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One of the things I was most happy about seeing was all the off the ball work our players were doing. There were plenty of blocks and shepherds instead of everyone just trying to get the cheap ball.

It gave our mids a lot more time. Especially as some of our efforts in this area have been woeful.

Also I have to applaud Titch, I thought he had a great game today especially through the first 2 and a half quarters. He was tough in the clinches, driving us forward and not worrying about his possession tally.

When the team plays for each other they play a lot better. The players might change and the skills will get better but doing the team thing should be a non-negotiable. And today they pulled it off out there.
Bolded is the one thing that has annoyed the crap out of me all year. It has been non existent at times.

During our threepeat era it was second nature for the side to block, screen, bump opponents etc.

Last edited:
Jaeger O'Meara (HAW)
Chad Wingard (HAW)
Jarryd Lyons (BL)
Tom Mitchell (HAW)
Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
Daniel McStay (BL)
Sam Frost (HAW)

Back