Preview Round 21: Western Bulldogs vs Essendon, Docklands, Sunday 8/08/2021 @ 3:20 PM

Do we break the curse?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I don't have anything planned for the weekend yet but I'm sure I can come up with something.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Come all ye faithful. We are going to shake the sh*t out of The Doggies, we have been building up to a big one.
Dogs should take it as a good sign that a premiership fancy is beaten by one that isn't in this fixture....yeah?

Ins:
Hooker. Need hands that can grab a mark & Francis down back for Laverde
Hird. Premature i imagine, and not a good debut game, but let's blood the kid and bring the name back on the big stage.

Out
Laverde (Inj)
Dev -> Mozzing him here, cos he won't get dropped, but maybe if i call for it he'll play a blinder.

Watch on Heppell & Langford with their knocks.

Ridley Stewart Redman
Heppell Francis Hind
Cox Stringer Merrett
Langford Wright Perkins
Tippa Hooker Hird
Draper Parish Shiel
Snelling Cutler Durham Clarke
S: Ham (if no VFL, Guelfi if there is)

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Be a good test to see how far we’ve actually come, against a side that usually has their way with us. Perkins needs a spell.
Yup. Be interesting to see if we give him one, or do the Cox treatment and play him through it.
Depth isn't there to be called on and we're looking at potentially playing 2-3 players with knocks (langford, heppell & tippa)
If both Heppell and Laverde miss, play Francis back still and bring in McBride or Bryan for the last 3 games.
I would like to see Bryan get a run at the next 3 games primarily as a forward to see how he slides in alongside Wright.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Out: Laverde (injured), Langford (injured), Heppell (injured)
In: Phillips, Gleeson, Guelfi

B: Gleeson, Francis, Redman
HB: Ridley, Stewart, Hind
C: Snelling, Shiel, Guelfi
HF: Ham, Wright, Smith
F: Stringer, Cox, Phillips
R: Draper, Merrett, Parish
Int: Cutler, Durham, Perkins, Clarke
Sub: McDonald-Tipungwuti
Emerg: Bryan, Zerk-Thatcher, Hird

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Little bit surprised at all the doom & gloom & talk of a thrashing in this thread.

Bombers improved substantially yesterday on recent efforts & that was with a couple of passengers & players played out of position.

Dogs are very good & will win but there's a fair chance we can hold our own again against a better opponent.

Lemons_

Draftee
Jul 26, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Laverde has revitalised his career down back this season, and the squad is all the better for it. Holding Buddy to 2 goals in a shootout for technically a 20-game defender is outstanding. Would be sad to see him miss with injury but kudos to Jayden and the coaching staff for turning it around. Can see Francis swinging back to replace him as an interceptor, with Chook returning fresh from the break up front.
In each of the Dogs losses this year they have been well down on Inside-50 conversion rate. With their incredible midfield it will be hard to stop them getting the ball, so the key will be defensive transition and structure behind the ball. Forward half pressure will give our defenders time to set up and reduce 1-on-1 contests, which I am sure Bruce, Naughton, English, Bont, even Weightman will dominate if allowed. Walla, Dev and Ming will need to be in top form. Limiting turnover will also play a massive role in stopping easy leaks. If Langford misses we are in major trouble. Prefer being the underdog but I've had enough of that. Let's scare the pants off the Dogs and go into the last fortnight firing. Go Dons.

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
A bit concerned that apparently we’ve got a number of injury concerns after the game yesterday.

Ones that have been spoken about Heppell, Laverde, Redman and Langford are pretty key players for us.

Would leave our defence is all sorts. Hopefully the 7 day break helps.

Rutten seemed to indicate that Francis would be playing forward for a few weeks. Guessing we won’t have Hooker back in the side then?

Phillips played well over the weekend, wonder if we’d consider two rucks.

A bit concerned that apparently we’ve got a number of injury concerns after the game yesterday.

Ones that have been spoken about Heppell, Laverde, Redman and Langford are pretty key players for us.

Would leave our defence is all sorts. Hopefully the 7 day break helps.

Rutten seemed to indicate that Francis would be playing forward for a few weeks. Guessing we won’t have Hooker back in the side then?

Phillips played well over the weekend, wonder if we’d consider two rucks.
I'd hope if we did we'd be playing Bryan instead

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Updated team selection. Give Laverde a rest and put the others on ice.

In- Zerk-Thatcher, Ham, Guelfi, Waterman
Out- Perkins(Rest), Langford(Inj), Laverde(Inj), Heppell(Inj)

B Hind Stewart Francis
HB Redman Zerk-Thatcher Ridley
C Durham Merrett Guelfi
HF Stringer Wright Snelling
F Smith Hooker Tipungwutti
FOLL: Draper Shiel Parish
INTER: Ham, Cutler, Cox, Clarke
Sub: Waterman

That’s the thing though - we are still a very good chance to make finals. If we win against GC and Pies…
If Freo beat Brisbane it means there's literally one spot we can take, as Freo and West Coast play the week after. We aren't making finals.

Freo have Brisbane, Eagles and Saints (Marvel).

We most certainly are a big chance for finals.
Dude, let it go. We aren't making it. Freo is in better form than all three sides, Brisbane have won 1 of their last 4 and just lost to second last, St. Kilda haven't won in 3 weeks and West Coast just lost to Collingwood. We aren't making finals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back