Mega Thread Miscellaneous Freo Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sane team would choose to put the travel burden on themselves when they can impose that on their opposition. Especially when they are within their rights to.

Sydney have so far missed the one home game against the interstate side. Their next home game that they would miss is against Fremantle. If they don't get to play home games at the SCG again this year they miss a further one home game, against another interstate side - the Suns.

I can't imagine a reason why they would want to move their players of Melbourne again this season.
“This idea that some clubs should benefit somewhat from home crowds and other clubs should get zero, it just seems to fly in the face of what we’ve tried to do as an industry over 18 months,”

“For us to look at this week’s game and say we’re going to make 50 per cent less than we would have otherwise is missing the big picture a little bit.”

;)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sydney try to get their "home" games played at Marvel, they already have 4 of their last 7 scheduled their so they could make it a mini home ground.

Does anyone know why we played round 1 away and are playing round 23 away?

I thought each team was supposed to rotate this every year?

I remember West Coast got the last game at Subi and then the first at Optus due to this "rule"

Does anyone know why we played round 1 away and are playing round 23 away?

I thought each team was supposed to rotate this every year?

I remember West Coast got the last game at Subi and then the first at Optus due to this "rule"
Having the bye for both West Coast and Freo on the same week was a bit of a spanner in the works. Both sides are away in the last week too

Having the bye for both West Coast and Freo on the same week was a bit of a spanner in the works. Both sides are away in the last week too
as far as i know, our last round was never changed?

It doesn't make any sense for both clubs to not play at home, especially doesn't make sense for us to miss our turn for the final round home game.

Does anyone else get more pumped up by the old song ? That drum beat at the start and the first FREO HEAVE Ho is so much more epic

Very much so. I was against the change when it happened and I still am. The original is still the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s hard to decide which is worse, the song or the jumper we played in.
They are both shitful. An embarrassing song and a putrid jumper; thank god they are both gone.
Got to admit, I don't like the old green jumper. My favourites were the purple haze jumper - purple with white anchor and the away jumper being white with purple anchor.

Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra and Caleb Serong just tip of Fremantle Dockers’ young talent iceberg
Samantha RogersThe West Australian
Tue, 3 August 2021 11:08AM

[PLAYERCARD]Caleb Serong[/PLAYERCARD], Adam Cerra and [PLAYERCARD]Andrew Brayshaw[/PLAYERCARD].

Caleb Serong, Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw. Credit: Caleb Serong

It is well and truly young talent time at Fremantle, with eight Dockers under 22 taking the field in their win over Richmond on Sunday.
Among them were Andrew Brayshaw, who had 39 disposals in a career-best performance that catapulted him into the conversation around Fremantle’s next skipper post-superstar Brownlow medallist Nat Fyfe.
The 21-year-old’s final minutes were as composed as they were crucial as the Dockers got home by four points against the reigning back-to-back premiers.
His right-hand man in Adam Cerra gathered 33 disposals in a four-quarter performance highlighted by an electric final term, where the 21-year-old had 11 touches at a rate of 82 per cent efficiency.

With all the talk of a potential move back to Victoria, it would be a shame if he departs after 2021.

The star trio was rounded out by young gun Caleb Serong, who at just 20 years old, is making a name for himself as a gut-running, hard-nut midfielder who can shut down opponents if called on.

Adam Cerra, [PLAYERCARD]Andrew Brayshaw[/PLAYERCARD] and [PLAYERCARD]Caleb Serong[/PLAYERCARD].

Adam Cerra, Andrew Brayshaw and Caleb Serong. Credit: AFL Photos
But it’s not just the Dockers’ triple-treat that has Fremantle fans licking their lips.

Fielding the youngest team in round 20, the Dockers’ eight players under 22 included four teenagers, with key forward Josh Treacy, goalsneak Liam Henry and first-year pace duo Joel Western and Brandon Walker.

If that wasn’t enough, 20-year-old Hayden Young was recognised for a stand-out performance with the NAB Rising Star nomination.
The fruit gets riper for Fremantle in the Under 25 age-group, with emerging ruck sensation Sean Darcy among eight players yet to celebrate a quarter of a century.
Darcy and compatriot Lloyd Meek (both 23) will only get better, with big men generally developing in their mid-20s, while Griffin Logue is already an asset to the back six.
Up forward, Mitch Crowden (22) Lachie Schultz (23) and Bailey Banfield (23) are showing signs they can pick up the crumbs left by Freo’s tall timber.
Their reigning Doig medallist, Luke Ryan, is only 25. As are the underrated James Aish and Connor Blakely.
Luke Ryan, [PLAYERCARD]Sean Darcy[/PLAYERCARD] and [PLAYERCARD]Hayden Young[/PLAYERCARD].

Luke Ryan, Sean Darcy and Hayden Young. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos
At 28, Matt Taberner is in the prime of his career and, if he can stay out on the park, will be a dangerous target for Fremantle up forward.
The evergreen David Mundy was the only player to don the retro kit on the weekend and at 36, is playing his best footy.
Unfortunately, the elixir of youth will probably run out at the end of next season.
Looking away from the round 20 team sheet and onto the injury list, Freo have some big decisions to make.
Stephen Hill’s latest injury setback is likely to end his career, while Michael Walters’ lack of form is of more concern than his hamstring.
Fremantle will be hoping early shoulder surgery will end Nat Fyfe’s injury woes going into next season as a 30-year-old, while forward/ruck Rory Lobb (despite being contracted) might not be in purple in 2022.
Aside from Joel Hamling (28) and Alex Pearce (26), the rest of the wounded Dockers are all under 25.
Sam Switkowski, Michael Frederick, Sam Sturt, Heath Chapman, Brennan Cox could all make a case to start in the 22 next season, given they can get fit and firing.

FREMANTLE’S TEAM v RICHMOND (ROUND 20)

UNDER 22
Josh Treacy (18)
Joel Western (18)
Brandon Walker (18)
Liam Henry (19)
Caleb Serong (20)
Hayden Young (20)
Andrew Brayshaw (21)
Adam Cerra (21)
UNDER 25
Mitch Crowden (22)