Player Watch #7: Jack Viney (VC) – 200th this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Horrible look without doubt. Hard to tell if he was putting in much force though and how much Collins was affected, and we all know the tribunal puts great weight into outcome as opposed to intent.

Hope he gets 1-2 weeks though as I don’t think he’s best 22 and Goody will never drop him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Toby Greene with his record got a fine for playing funny buggers with Bonts eyes. This doesn't look any worse than something like that.

Also, Viney wasn't choking him like Lake, he was going the old Juddy pressure point on the pulse area on the side of your neck with the point of his elbow.

Toby Greene with his record got a fine for playing funny buggers with Bonts eyes. This doesn't look any worse than something like that.

Also, Viney wasn't choking him like Lake, he was going the old Juddy pressure point on the pulse area on the side of your neck with the point of his elbow.

Honestly think the Harvey one is the best comparison. Seems to be an issue of the 'look' more than the actual damage done as in that incident Picken didn't sustain any injury.

Probably about the only case in the AFL where they suspend for the action and not the outcome.

Honestly think the Harvey one is the best comparison. Seems to be an issue of the 'look' more than the actual damage done as in that incident Picken didn't sustain any injury.

Probably about the only case in the AFL where they suspend for the action and not the outcome.
The Harvey action looks pretty similar, but was directly on the wind pipe which is quite a lot worse. I still think 1 week and 2 would be high end if AFL make a big deal of it.

Good opportunity to rebalance the midfield but I can’t see a world where Goody doesn’t bring him straight back in after suspension, he’ll play him in a final.

The Harvey action looks pretty similar, but was directly on the wind pipe which is quite a lot worse. I still think 1 week and 2 would be high end if AFL make a big deal of it.

Good opportunity to rebalance the midfield but I can’t see a world where Goody doesn’t bring him straight back in after suspension, he’ll play him in a final.
Call me crazy I'll still back Viney in a final

Yeah I'm fine with him copping three if it means he spends the entire period getting himself worked up for finals. Might be a blessing in disguise for the team.

Call me crazy I'll still back Viney in a final
Like I said, can’t see Goody leaving him out of one. He still has the reputation of a player built for finals. Contested bull, capable of big tackle numbers, can lift the team. His flaws are real though. One paced, similar inside type to Oliver and Petracca and kicking is average at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s your point? You could shove him off you if he was pushing down on you? It’s not just pushing 84kg away, it’s an 84kg bloke using his force to keep you down. He can bench press 150kg. He is immensely strong. That’s just his upper body strength. Not to mention his core and lower body strength involved.

Viney is as strong as a bull. If you think he is a lightweight then I’d be happy to see you on the canvas with him, with his forearm on your neck.
Yes I know. And did you notice the Suns player, when he finally tried to shift Viney and get from under him.? The Suns player ended up on-top of Viney.

Just because he was laying there passively, when Viney was giving him a talking to, doesn't mean he couldn't shift him. Just means he was just laying there.
And so, it also says that Viney's actions appeared far worse, than they were in reality.

There was really nothing in it, apart from looking really bad.

This is why I've always been confused by BJJ and wrestling. Like, why not simply lift the opponent off you?
Watch the video again, and see the players response, once he tries to get Viney off him, and how fairly easily gets on-top of viney, when he finally tries to.

Then you will see exactly what I'm getting at. Its not like he had him in a "figure4 arm lock" or something, and couldn't move.

Last edited:
I thought it was thoroughly disgraceful what Viney did. It was incredibly dangerous. Using the point of your elbow and jamming it into somebody's neck with your full body weight could have fatal consequences - a ruptured carotid artery
Well, tell that to the cops, and to politicians then. They should stop using neck restraint methods, when arresting people. This is where young people get their ideas from.
Seeing it used and accepted/tolerated, on news programs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back