Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnaHawks

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
100 percent should all ready be captain
I wouldn't be surprised if he has a conversation with Sam. Sam lays out a 5-year plan, I’m looking at the draft and plan to compete for finals in 3 years’ time. Top 4 in 5 years. Maybe in your best interests to look elsewhere.

Yes, love this call.
Sicily was mentioned in numerous conversations at the last change of captain. Some even suggested that if he had not of ruptured his ACL then he would have been very close to getting the nod. How much mayo was involved, who knows but we do have a few options moving forward.

I love the Day idea but he is not quite there yet IMO.

“We are going to go to the drawing board, we will have a lot of new staff and have a lot of planning and developing with the way we want to play, with how we want our structures and leadership to look,” he said.

This is intriguing.
With that mindset, the 2 coaches succession plan was never going to work.

Good on the players for calling it out

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With that mindset, the 2 coaches succession plan was never going to work.

Good on the players for calling it out

If Caro's leaks are accurate then Mitchell also called it out as unworkable. As far as we can tell only two people said it could work both publicly and privately, Kennett and Clarkson, and only one of them thought it could work. Everyone else, like Mitchell, was just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best.

If Caro's leaks are accurate then Mitchell also called it out as unworkable. As far as we can tell only two people said it could work both publicly and privately, Kennett and Clarkson, and only one of them thought it could work. Everyone else, like Mitchell, was just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best.
So the end result is good, even though it was messy how we got there.

A worst result would be the final year of Woosha/Rutten at Essendon. Mixed messages, wasted year and missed opportunities. We've avoided that and now Mitch can get his plan in action.

Let the rebuild continue in earnest

JOM for me

Reckon he sticks with Ben McEvoy for now.

JOM eventually though as he's Sam's sort of player, diligent with his work ethic and does everything right from a preparation point of view.

ahhhhhh

All Australian
May 14, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BH
If McEvoy stays i think he will be captain next year. After that we need a captain for the next 5+ years.
It is a shame that at the end of next year it is probably 1-2 years too early for DGB. Think he would make a great captain eventually
No one under the age of 25 should be made captain.

BurnaHawks

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Things we know.
  • Clarko wanted to top up and trade in Talent and keep the playing list together.
  • Sam wanted to hit the draft.
  • The board was sick of Clarko’s direction and wanted a change.
  • Clarko got replaced.
  • Sam openly said there was there was going to be huge changes at the end of the year.
Reading Between the lines.

We are going backwards before we go forward. Sam has board approval to do a full rebuild. They have no intension on competing next year, or holding onto 27+ year old guys.

O’Meara, TOM, Wingard, Breust and Gunston. Will get a tap on the shoulder and politely asked to move on for the long-term betterment of the club.

Sicily will play next year an exit as a free agent. We could walk into this years draft with 5 first round picks and 7 picks inside 25...

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This will be my go-to thread for the next 18 months without a doubt.

I'm super excited to see who Sammy and the Board bring in. I thought Fagan was a great father-figure for many in his time at Hawthorn and hope that we structure up with a similar type who can mentor our off and on field people. My understanding is Brendon Bolton is on a long-term contract. I really believe, and hope we find some quality recently retired players to be the assistants at the coalface.

This leaves me wondering what role we could best place Bolts into in order to extract the experience he has gained over the journey. Maybe we can put him into the development role at Box Hill to oversee those programs, and maybe a mentoring role to new Assistants.

Looking forward to following the posters on here with the latest happenings from close to the club - Exciting times ahead.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Things we know.
  • Clarko wanted to top up and trade in Talent and keep the playing list together.
  • Sam wanted to hit the draft.
  • The board was sick of Clarko’s direction and wanted a change.
  • Clarko got replaced.
  • Sam openly said there was there was going to be huge changes at the end of the year.
Reading Between the lines.

We are going backwards before we go forward. Sam has board approval to do a full rebuild. They have no intension on competing next year, or holding onto 27+ year old guys.

O’Meara, TOM, Wingard, Breust and Gunston. Will get a tap on the shoulder and politely asked to move on for the long-term betterment of the club.

Sicily will play next year an exit as a free agent. We could walk into this years draft with 5 first round picks and 7 picks inside 25...

Wow. Well, that would be a hell of a change. I'm up for it. May end in years of heartache but what the hell. Gotta bet big to win big.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I feel like that strategy will just backfire. Can't just trade out anyone over the age of 27.

i dont think thats the plan.

as Sam has said, McEvoy, Breust and Shiels are staying

as for the rest of the over 27 group, i think Gunston, Frost, JOM and Hartigan will probably stay, Burgoyne has already indicated he is retiring, theres rumours Titch may be traded or ask for a trade?, Hartley and Brooksby will likely be delisted, but i am unsure on the futures of Wingard, TOB, and Ceglar

BurnaHawks

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I feel like that strategy will just backfire. Can't just trade out anyone over the age of 27.
I think it’s exactly what we need. If we don’t do it. Next year we will have missed the boat completely with Breust and Gunston.

And we’ll still finish bottom 4 anyway. It won’t be as bad as it sounds. We’ll bring in a heap of young high-end talent that will rejuvenate the team and the supporter base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back