Opinion AFL 2021 Round 20 - Liked, Learnt, Hated

C38DB701-15B3-49DA-87C9-C2D7F1B6C355.gif

Liked - How the AFL now seamlessly change venues around when states slam shut, love it or hate it you have to admire the amount of work and tenacity put in to keep the season going for all of us.
Learnt - The Swans are the masters of rebuilding and making the most of every player. Terrific club.
Hated - The way the Eagles played for Shannons 300th…that one hurts.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Liked Charlie Curnow got through a game of football without issue.
Learnt St.Kilda have really gone nowhere with their attempt to recruit likes of , Hanneberry, Brad Hill and others at expense of some goes earlier in the draft around those years. Not really learned but confirmed beyond doubt an early pick in draft rather than chasing Hill would have been more the go back in 2019.
Hated how often I saw blatant throwing off ball by players allowed to go on by umpires.

Liked: As Wosh posted, the AFL's ability to keep season 2021 ticking over despite maximum mayhem
Learnt: Having arguably one of the most potent KPF set-ups (Riewoldt & Lynch) means jack-all, at least in the first half of recent games
Disliked: Nothing again

Liked: Hearing a car horn toot toot toot after a goal at Ballarat on the weekend. It brought more atmosphere than the canned crowd noise.

Learnt: Watching teams stumble over hurdle after hurdle, yet still miraculously be in contention for a finals berth where the prize is an afternoon as the Washington General's. Is pretty funny.

Hated: These are ongoing bugbears of mine. A cow bell would be preferable to the histrionic yelling that passes for commentary in the age of mostly empty stadiums. We get it, now tone it down to at least a 9. Also hated how the push in the back rule has completely been given over to the forward now. Its going to help a lot of old guys pad out career goal kicking stats when they look back on their careers.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Liked: Fremantle playing strip, whoever was the marketing "genius" who came up with the insane idea of all Purple is an idiot! The Dockers should re-brand as "The Green Machine"!

Learnt: Never underestimate the goings on at a Football club and never believe a word they say, i know the journos cop a lot of flack, but those connected with the "club" are just as perfidious.

Hated: The Covid panic and games shifted all over the place, i wonder how Warney is really feeling? Unwell or is he really sick? Has anyone asked?

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Liked - the old school shootout at the MCG yesterday - how football should be played, with accurate goalkicking, free flowing footy and entertainment.

Learned - the AFL showing how flexible fixturing during a crisis does work.

Hated - Freo v Richmond and their no idea how to kick goal type footy. Big sticks lads.

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
Liked.
Jack Silvagni game/year.
Shows that he would do anything for his teammates

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
Liked: Andrew Brayshaw crashing his way through packs like a possessed juggernaut! Andy is going to be some player indeed!
Learnt: Baker is a dirty player and will soon find out the hard way, not to provoke Sean Darcy!
Hated: Seeing Bailey Banfield be concussed in such a horrible way. I'm so glad he didn't seriously injure himself.

Hawksboy72

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Philly Eagles
Liked: The MCG shootout.
Learnt: (always known).. St Kilda have always been in no man's land.
Hated: Eagles & Suns...players on 300k a year unable to chase their opponent.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Liked: Andrew Brayshaw's game, especially the last 2 minutes where he dominated multiple stoppages and won the clearance time and time again.
Learnt: Gold Coast don't deserve an AFL licence. Give it to Tasmania already.
Hated: Viney's faux tough guy crap.

Gazza Greatness

Premium Platinum
Oct 11, 2008
Werribee
AFL Club
Geelong
Liked: The MCG shootout.
Learnt: (always known).. St Kilda have always been in no man's land.
Hated: Eagles & Suns...players on 300k a year unable to chase their opponent.
AFL has become a high pressured game, more so than ever before & if certain players are 5% off, a side can get beaten to be certain & in some cases like with the Eagles, if it's more than a couple of players being off, then they can get annihilated. Then the coaching group go through video of game with players to show the glaring lack of defensive efforts/one percenters & more times than not players & club 'mainly through public embarrassment & scrutiny' respond the very next week, until weeks down the track when the heat is not so much, then they go & do it all over again, rinse & repeat, that's the story, especially of the Eagles in 2021 & with players on 300k plus per game as you say Hawksboy72 that's a bloody disgrace & if I was a supporter of one of these habitual 'coach killing' clubs I'd be bloody furious with certain players within the playing group as it's usually the same offenders.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Liked Charlie Curnow got through a game of football without issue.
Learnt St.Kilda have really gone nowhere with their attempt to recruit likes of , Hanneberry, Brad Hill and others at expense of some goes earlier in the draft around those years. Not really learned but confirmed beyond doubt an early pick in draft rather than chasing Hill would have been more the go back in 2019.
Hated how often I saw blatant throwing off ball by players allowed to go on by umpires.

On your hated part... that's just the umps getting in some last minute practice for the finals. It always gets loose late in the year

Hawksboy72

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Philly Eagles
AFL has become a high pressured game, more so than ever before & if certain players are 5% off, a side can get beaten to be certain & in some cases like with the Eagles, if it's more than a couple of players being off, then they can get annihilated. Then the coaching group go through video of game with players to show the glaring lack of defensive efforts/one percenters & more times than not players & club 'mainly through public embarrassment & scrutiny' respond the very next week, until weeks down the track when the heat is not so much, then they go & do it all over again, rinse & repeat, that's the story, especially of the Eagles in 2021 & with players on 300k plus per game as you say Hawksboy72 that's a bloody disgrace & if I was a supporter of one of these habitual 'coach killing' clubs I'd be bloody furious with certain players within the playing group as it's usually the same offenders.
Exactly...

Back