Toast The Brand New Thread of Appreciation

Wassail everyone!

As we thread our way through the needle's eye that is Covid, I thought it might be time to start a fresh Thread of Appreciation. Partly as a way to say goodbye to the old - the things we actually appreciate are gone, or different now - but also as a place to express appreciation for the things we're carrying forward with us, and for what the future may hold.

For myself, I'm obviously massively grateful to not have contracted Covid. 1 in 24 people has tested positive so far in Canada. And I continue to have a huge appreciation for the scientists all over the world who've worked diligently on vaccines to help keep us alive.

I'm also very happy to say goodbye to the pre-Covid 9-6 work day at my job permanently. We cut our hours back to 9-4 at the beginning of Covid, and no one wants to go back. Every single one of us appreciates our shortened day, and I am hopeful that more people get to benefit from similar changes to their work routines going forward.

I appreciate everything our footy club has done to keep our players safe through the pandemic, as well as its continued efforts to acknowledge and give its own appreciation to the player sponsors through these ever-shifting conditions. And I appreciate every person on here who has helped to sponsor a player too, and everyone who has held fast and kept their memberships through these weird times. And whaddaya know, we broke a record this year too! So awesome.

I also appreciate every poster on here who has shown consistent integrity, and will, to call out and refuse to tolerate any poster who abuses others, or our players on this forum. I'm not going to name you all, but I want to say that you are champions, and although I don't often speak up about it, I appreciate every single one of you for the times you do. You help keep this place as sane and grounded, and kind, as you have within your power.

There is a quote posted on one of Bigfooty's main pages that reads:

"The person who loves their dream of community will destroy community, but the person who loves those around them will create community." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

So yeah, kudos to all the posters on here who create community by treating each other with decency, and by calling out abuse. You are the light of this forum, and indeed of the greater world outside of it. Keep shining. Our years ahead need to become lighter. Everywhere.

Finally, and most of all, I appreciate my beloved TOD, who is my light, every single day. We continue to send Morse code across the ocean, and dream of the day the borders open up again.

So there you go. A whole new thread for appreciation! I really hope you guys have things in your life that have arrived, or changed for the better, or at the very least not been lost because of Covid. If you feel like posting them here, then feel free.

And take care of each other. :blueheart:

tt.png

I appreciate that bloke in the North cheersquad who usually wears just a guernsey and a Rambo-esque bandana around his head.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I appreciate having had the foresight to pay $550 to see Springsteen at AAMI and be at the foot of the main lecturn and then be 300 metres away at Hanging Rock because with Covid and his age I can’t ever foresee him returning to Australia and that makes me immensely sad.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know it’s not strictly in line with the thread but how absolutely epic is the piss up going to be when we win the flag

I know it’s not strictly in line with the thread but how absolutely epic is the piss up going to be when we win the flag

I genuinely lay in bed at least 2 nights a week thinking about this. I was born in 96, so obviously don't remember 96 and 99. I will go off my ******* nut when we win our next one. I will cause damage.

I get teary eyed and get goosebumps just thinking about it

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I genuinely lay in bed at least 2 nights a week thinking about this. I was born in 96, so obviously don't remember 96 and 99. I will go off my ******* nut when we win our next one. I will cause damage.
Ahahahaha, I’ll be hiring a caravan and driving from Perth for it

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

i'm a child of 96 too. i had a great ******* time at the MCG finals of 2014 and 2015. can't imagine what it'll be like to win the big one

1996 was a very good year 👍
99 was redemption for 98, should have been more though

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC

I have a vision of looking around at my kids, we are at the G hugging and crying. I have got a mate who goes for the Rabbitohs - when they won that flag in 2014 (last one before that was 1971) he went missing for four days

Last edited:

Don't worry your avatar has already caused a lot of damage to unwary posters o_O

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well I appreciate being alive not sure everyone I've met or conversed with me shares that sentiment lol

I do appreciate BF NMFC it made the isolation of COVID a little easier to handle. We don't always agree but heck it was nice to be able to disagree.
You sound chipper Sops- hope TOD is grand and well Mr Baker is gone, not sure I'm allowed to appreciate that?

Back