Dumb takes because we need content and you're too dumb to notice

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't wait to hear Dal Santo's big call!

1617706364507.png

"Nick Dal Santo believes Richmond is still premiership favourites..."

Yeah, massive.

I remember back in about 2010. It was before the Herald Sun erected their paywall anyway. But Wayne Carey had a book out (ghost written I presume) and each day the HUN would print an excerpt. No harm, no foul, right? Except they would give it a headline that omitted context and then mix it in with the regular news.

So you're scanning down the page: ;Hodge has a sore foot; Carlton draft pick debut; Tribunal; Player threatens to bash umpire - Hell that one sounds serious. * Click * "Aww you mother*ers! It's just Carey's book! You got me again!"

The moment they were able to measure per story engagement, the industry was doomed.

Check this out...

I like this quote, regarding Hutchison poaching Whateley and his vision for SEN.

Whateley's opening monologue was hardly the talkback tone of the old SEN. It was a soaring oration – almost a sermon – a highbrow flip given the more prevalent view of SEN radio as "80 per cent bullshit, 20 per cent ads".

The latter characterisation is based on Hutchison himself, and his gift for inflating and inflaming any and every spurious wedge issue – turning a footballer's hairstyle into a 24-hour cycle of hot takes and outrage.

Rohan Connolly, who runs the sport and lifestyle website Footyology, says he regards Hutchison as "without doubt one of the best news breakers" among his peers. "I suppose the downside of that ability," Connolly adds, "is the idea that you can frame everything in terms of headlines and talking points, and that no issue is too silly if you can create some angst and friction between opposing points of view, no matter how contrived."

I wonder if Konrad Marshall reads this thread.

It's a distilled take on my OP.

Last edited:
Wow what a post OP, brilliant read, unfortunately still just as relevant.

Tom Morris is by no means the worst offender but this is Exhibit A in what annoys people.

Big splashy headline, an unsubstantiated claim and 400 words of conjecture. Not a single word of attributable reporting, not even an unnamed source.

So what's happened to produce this story? Has someone within the Crows said "yeah nah we'll have a crack at a few"? And that's enough to justify this story and running it as the evening splash? It's rubbish. This is the stuff that audiences should find insulting. Where's the reporting? There's no information. But it will be well read, shared a lot and folks will talk about it.

I'm not saying it's incorrect but the reporting is non-existent.

If it's a legitimate story, do some more work to stand it up. This is lazy gossip-mongering with a tonne of background that has nothing to do with any "news". This is the kind of thing Morris must keep in his back pocket for when there's nothing else and his phone has died.

There's zero meat on these bones. What's the basis for writing 500 words?

And look at the desperate, dishonest kicker. REVEALED!

You've revealed literally nothing, except your condescension towards your audience.

Last edited:
Tom Morris is by no means the worst offender but this is Exhibit A in what annoys people.

Big splashy headline, an unsubstantiated claim and 400 words of conjecture. Not a single word of attributable reporting, not even an unnamed source.

So what's happened to produce this story? Has someone within the Crows said "yeah nah we'll have a crack at a few"? And that's enough to justify this story and running it as the evening splash? It's rubbish. This is the stuff that audiences should find insulting. Where's the reporting? There's no information. But it will be well read, shared a lot and folks will talk about it.

If it's a legitimate story, do some more work to stand it up. This is lazy gossip-mongering with a tonne of background that has nothing to do with any "news". This is the kind of thing Morris must keep in his back pocket for when there's nothing else and his phone has died.

You've revealed literally nothing, except your condescension towards your audience.

It's funny you mention this because I thought very similar. Clicked thinking the article might shed some light on what they were willing to offer for Dawson - how wrong I was.

Hang on a minute, you were just a few days ago refuting my claims that most of the AFL media produced during the week is predominately just content for content's sake and now you're posting this...?

Moreover your thread title and intro are exactly what I was referring to - whereas the AFL Media have simply evolved into a circle jerk of creating headlines and narratives that have become so 'opinion focused' they rarely contain any actual news, knowledge or even insights for their perceived market/audience...

The AFL section of Fox Sports website is increasingly presenting click-bait style headlines with related articles that simply resemble long versions of twitter posts.... Sadly, the AFL's own website is not much better.

Last edited:
Hang on a minute, you were just a few days ago refuting my claims that most of the AFL media produced during the week is predominately just content for content's sake and now you're posting this...?

Moreover your thread title and intro are exactly what I was referring to - whereas the AFL Media have simply evolved into a circle jerk of creating headlines and narratives that have become so 'opinion focused' they rarely contain any actual news, knowledge or even insights for their perceived market/audience...

The AFL section of Fox Sports website is increasingly presenting click-bait style headlines with related articles that simply resemble long versions of twitter posts....
What did I "refute"?

I think it's better if you don't presume to catch me in a contradiction. That way you won't be disappointed.

You might also note the thread was created a year ago so it's unlikely I took my cues from you.

Last edited:
What did I "refute"?

I think it's better if you don't presume to catch me in a contradiction. That way you won't be disappointed.

You might also note the thread was created a year ago so it's unlikely I took my cues from you.

Yes, and?

You offered the blistering insight that "it's content".

In other news, the sky is blue.

Last edited:
Yes, and?

You offered the blistering insight that "it's content".

In other news, the sky is blue.

To clarify - so there is no correlation or association of my view (being the AFL's Media produce content mainly for contents sake) and your post above that clearly highlight's a recent example of this - ha ha, got it...!!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read the OP from a year ago.

Have done mate, which is why your contradiction is even more confusing...?

Look, I get it - given our similar BF join dates, if I had posted an extra 22,000 comments in the same time frame as your good self, I'd probably also lose track of what I had opined in numerous threads about various topics too...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back