Preview Round 21, 2021: Hawthorn v Collingwood 8 August 2021, 2.10pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do players where heart rate monitors during games? Or perhaps he's just guessing based on the look of how hard they're running or something.

I also wasn't sure about the 'red zone' references in his reviews. After googling I thought perhaps it was a reference to NFL where the red zone is the last section before the scoring end zone. Which I guess the equivalent in AFL would be the 50m arc or some unmarked area within it.
You can work back from pace to approximate heart rate and the players do wear gps devices. Of course the club/AFL could have their own definition but that language is commonly used to describe above threshold effort (threshold being the max output you can maintain over a long period). It is analogous to the red zone for your car rpms.

I doubt it is a particular zone on the field in AFL. NFL has an end zone so it makes sense for them to talk about a physical zone on the field. They don’t have a need to discuss red zone in the context of exertion as they are more or less max the whole time the ball is in play.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Game to be moved to MCG you'd think. MCG is free that day... Absolutely sucks really every time there is a case we get locked down. How can we possibly expect the Grand Final to be played in Vic.
Welcome to delta. This is the new normal until high vaccination rates are achieved and we are not in the middle of outbreaks in multiple states. AFL need to take a leaf out of the nrls book and work with the governments in advance to determine criteria for ensuring continuity of games even in lockdown.

danielG

All Australian
Jun 27, 2009
richmond
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Welcome to delta. This is the new normal until high vaccination rates are achieved and we are not in the middle of outbreaks in multiple states. AFL need to take a leaf out of the nrls book and work with the governments in advance to determine criteria for ensuring continuity of games even in lockdown.
This is the new normal until we get high vaccination rate and the goal posts are shifted because it's not actually completely eradicating covid. This is an endless circle. Governments have control and will make it near impossible for citizens to have their freedom back. I am not buying the Vaccination is the cure all by a long shot.
In terms of NRL having the prototype to follow, they very nearly had the whole competition shut down last weekend when Brissie went into lockdown so I am not buying that either.
AFL for all their shambolic mismanagement of any number of issues have done pretty well navagating through a mess that is not in their control.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
This is the new normal until we get high vaccination rate and the goal posts are shifted because it's not actually completely eradicating covid. This is an endless circle. Governments have control and will make it near impossible for citizens to have their freedom back. I am not buying the Vaccination is the cure all by a long shot.
In terms of NRL having the prototype to follow, they very nearly had the whole competition shut down last weekend when Brissie went into lockdown so I am not buying that either.
AFL for all their shambolic mismanagement of any number of issues have done pretty well navagating through a mess that is not in their control.
no one is saying this

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Game to be moved to MCG you'd think. MCG is free that day... Absolutely sucks really every time there is a case we get locked down. How can we possibly expect the Grand Final to be played in Vic.

A couple of cases in Melbourne - none related to footballers - who probably have more COVID tests than most doctors and nurses, and they shut it all down?

This is the State that wants to get its own football team in a couple of years?

A couple of cases in Melbourne - none related to footballers - who probably have more COVID tests than most doctors and nurses, and they shut it all down?

This is the State that wants to get its own football team in a couple of years?
There is a case in Launceston

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Yes but every state locks down as soon as there is a case. No point deciding a GF venue until after the premilms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wasn't it a commerical decision to play the game in Tassie because they could get a crowd? I assume without a crowd the numbers don't stack up.

Probably. But the cost of the flights would be significant as well. $100k each direction I think Gerard said? Hawks would have got some sponsorship money from Tasmania though.

That said, do they even need a lockdown before there are any proven cases in the community? This from a state complaining about not being allowed their own team...

Halve the crowd, make masks mandatory, ban food and drink sales. How many cases have been proven to have been caught at football games over the last year?

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Probably. But the cost of the flights would be significant as well. $100k each direction I think Gerard said? Hawks would have got some sponsorship money from Tasmania though.

That said, do they even need a lockdown before there are any proven cases in the community? This from a state complaining about not being allowed their own team...

Halve the crowd, make masks mandatory, ban food and drink sales. How many cases have been proven to have been caught at football games over the last year?
The last lockdown that just occurred in Melbourne was in part due to cases caught at the G. With that in mind it’s no wonder tassie will play it safe when they have mostly avoided COVID.

So they could still have it with no crowds. Or they could still have it with people wearing masks.

Did anyone of the 40,000 people at the rugby get COVID from someone who actually went there?
1. What is the point of having it there with no crowds?

2. No body knows. The current case is someone coming in from NSW.

They've gone 200+ days without a case. Pretty understandable actions they've taken. Its understandable they don't want to hold a (sold out) sporting event and have 2 teams and support staff fly in from a place with more active cases. I think any anger at this decision is misplaced.

And referencing it to their desire for their own team is even poorer

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The last lockdown that just occurred in Melbourne was in part due to cases caught at the G. With that in mind it’s no wonder tassie will play it safe when they have mostly avoided COVID.

Caught at the MCG? Or because people who tested positive had been at the MCG? Have there been announcements saying how many ended up getting sick where their only interaction with another sick person was by sitting near them at the MCG?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Anyone else worried about not getting a completed season? Looking more dire every week imo

Nah, if we got through last year when it was new there is zero excuse for not finishing a season that is 21 weeks in.

Today was the beginning of my second attempt at not consuming any Covid news and it lasted until 11am when I checked this thread.

Bloody over it.

Nah, if we got through last year when it was new there is zero excuse for not finishing a season that is 21 weeks in.

Today was the beginning of my second attempt at not consuming any Covid news and it lasted until 11am when I checked this thread.

Bloody over it.

Tell me about it mate, just caught up with my recently retired father and he's clearly not consumed any COVID news as he's quite chipper and hasn't mentioned it. Decided not to even go near the subject, not about to start ruining people's days by talking about it when they don't talk about it first.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Caught at the MCG? Or because people who tested positive had been at the MCG? Have there been announcements saying how many ended up getting sick where their only interaction with another sick person was by sitting near them at the MCG?
Yeah there was a couple, and I believe it also resulted in cases going outside of Melbourne to regional Vic. Hence why tassie should be cautious.

But I think it’s veering into a discussion people don’t want to hear and I don’t blame them. Let’s move back onto the 22 players we will have playing the pies.

Gaston

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2014
in the outer with anticipation
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone else worried about not getting a completed season? Looking more dire every week imo
Interestingly John Singleton said the NRL should just end the season and start the finals
as bottom sides are over Covid protocols and the like and couldn't give a rats for playing out the season.
Has a point, if Breust does an ACL last week, how would we feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back