A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. SMH A. Wu 18.6.21

GR AF is booming in Sydney's NW.
Pennant Hills FC has 11 snr teams, including 5 men's & 4 women's (which include the daughters of former Socceroo Paul Wade, & former Wallaby Steve James).
There are 5 players currently in the AFL who played previously for Pennant Hills- this is possibly a record for current players from one GR club, in VFL/AFL history.

2. GWS is heavily involved in introducing & promoting AF to the many immigrant families (c. 50% of the population there) in WS, total pop. c. 2.4m.

S. Coniglio (Italian) has previously spoken about how he enjoys interacting with the many immigrant communities in WS.
A. Farrugia is of Maltese background, & H. Zreika is of Arabic background.

"Cogs Cup Kicking Goals
More than 200 students have taken part in the Stephen Coniglio and Amanda Farrugia Cups.
Jun 22, 2021, 5:17pm
Coniglio-1.jpg

The Stephen Coniglio and the Amanda Farrugia Cups have been run and won in Birrong with hundreds of Western Sydney students taking part.
The event, run with the support of Multicultural NSW, consisted of 14 teams (seven male and seven female teams) playing modified games of Australian Rules football and learning more about the game.
The competition is named after GIANTS AFL captain Stephen Coniglio and former AFLW captain Amanda Farrugia.

GIANTS captain Stephen Coniglio and AFLW star Haneen Zreika were on hand to support the teams and take part in the presentations.
Haneen-1.jpg

Granville Boys High School took out the male competition with Punchbowl Boys High School the runners up. The female competition saw Chifley College Shalvey Campus awarded the championship with Auburn Girls High School the runners up.

The schools involved were St. Clair High School, Moorebank High School, Belmore Boys High School, Sir Joseph Banks High School, Burwood Girls High School, Bankstown Girls High School, Bankstown Girls High School, Auburn Girls High School, Chifley College Shalvey Campus, Punchbowl Boys High School, Granville Boys High School and Birrong Boys High School.

The next Coniglio and Farrugia Cups will be held in September ".

The Bachar Houli Foundation (see B. Houli Cup & B. Houli Academy- click on "Programs") also works with GWS to promote GR AF amongst muslim communities in WS.

[PLAYERCARD]Bachar Houli[/PLAYERCARD] Foundation Logo

"Welcome to the Bachar Houli Foundation

The Bachar Houli Foundation (BHF) is a unique non-for-profit organisation that aims to develop young leaders within the Muslim community. The BHF aims to support social cohesion by fostering young Muslims with a sense of belonging through football development. The foundation also creates employment pathways through traineeships and builds cross-community bridges by promoting social inclusion through elite football programs.

The first Bachar Houli programs were launched in 2013 by champion AFL football player, Bachar Houli, in partnership with the AFL and the Richmond Football Club. Its main purpose for establishment was to start the first Muslim Football Academy in Australia

The BHF delivers its football programs through the AFL with a team of experts including Richmond premiership player, Bachar Houli (Head Coach), former St Kilda forward Ahmed Saad (Program Manager) and Ali Fahour (General Manager) who has over 10 years’ experience in the development of multicultural programs.
Since establishment, the foundation has developed seven successful programs; each has a unique focus around football development, employment, leadership and identity.

The foundation has succeeded in cementing itself as the first Muslim Football Academy in Australia for young aspiring Muslim athletes. In just seven years it has developed a reach of over 35,000 participants (My emphasis)".

Last edited:
Nadene McBride: Being good mates and having the time of your life
Author Name: jacklynch | Posted 12:43 pm on Tuesday 13th July, 2021
TAGS: AFL HUNTER CENTRAL COASTROOSTERSSINGLETONWOMEN'S COACHING MONTH

DSC_0013-scaled-e1626144089507.jpg

Like so many, Nadene McBride proudly says she “lives and breathes footy”, but unlike so many of us, she puts her words into action at her club, Singleton Roosters.

Nadene is the playing coach of the senior women’s side and the President of the club. She was involved in creating the women’s program, captained the side in its inaugural year (2017), kicked its first goal and became coach in Round 3 2019, following the abrupt exit of the team’s sixth coach in three seasons.

“Coaching is the one thing I definitely didn’t want to do,” Nadene said with a straight face. “But I love it now.”

Balancing coaching duties with presidential ones is not an easy task, it takes time, administrative nous, football smarts and emotional intelligence. One of the traits that endears Nadene to her team, club and community is her passion and care for everyone in the club environment.

“I’m a massive mum,” she said when talking about team morale. “I just want every body to be okay and I don’t think that’s been previously considered.[ie Nadine introduced a good team culture]. It was [previously] just about us kicking the ball and playing.”

This attitude has clearly helped the team gel and be successful. After “absolutely getting flogged” in the first three years, Nadene’s chargers won the premiership in 2020 – her first full season as coach. Following that, the team lost 16 players, proving how tough it is to maintain players at Singleton, even in times of great success.

To recoup the losses, Nadene recruited 14 players for the 2021 season – none of them had played AFL before, six of them are mums of U15 players. Nadene’s infectious energy rubs off on everyone at the club.

At the COVID pause in 2021, Nadene’s Singleton Senior Women are 7-2, sitting second on the ladder in the Black Diamond Plate.

“I knew we’d have to work hard to keep these girls, because no one wants to come along and get absolutely flogged. I gave people realistic views and said this isn’t about us winning, it’s about us being good mates and getting along and having the time of your life. And from that, good things happen (My words & emphases in brackets).”

Singleton is near Newcastle. The Newcastle Hunter AF women's league has 16 adult women's teams- amazing, for such a strong RL area. Nadine, now President, is an example of the quality people that AF is attracting in NSW & ACT.

Last edited:

Singleton is near Newcastle. The Newcastle Hunter AF women's league has 16 adult women's teams- amazing, for such a strong RL area. Nadine, now President, is an example of the quality people that AF is attracting in NSW & ACT.

Newcastle is also home to the oldest Australian Football competition.

This article shows a photo of the Pymble Ladies College (on Sydney's North Shore) AF oval, on its school grounds, with its permanent AF goal posts... a sign o' the times.

"Once you're out there, you focus on the ball, & pretty much killing the other player. You turn into a wild animal" laughed a Pymble player.
Strewth.

Since this article was written in 2019, the overall no. of girls in Sydney, in the IGSSA private schools comp., playing inter-school AF, has increased by c. 200%+ (Also a very large increase in the no. of boys' private school teams).
There are now 3 Divisions for year 7 & 8 girls; ditto 3 Divisions for years 9 & 10.

Queenwood College For Girls, Mosman, on the North Shore also, has now joined the local Sydney Harbour AF comp. ie it has left the private schools' IGSSA AF comp.
Perhaps it seeks to play their girls' AF at a higher standard in a local community comp., for longer, as Queenwood plays AF for two school terms.

We compete in the following sports:
TERM 1
IGSSA Tennis, IGSSA Swimming and Diving, Rowing, Tildesley Shield Tennis, UNSW Waterpolo, SIHA Indoor Hockey, Queenwood Swimming Carnival, Dance, Equestrian, Taekwondo
TERM 2
AFL, IGSSA Basketball, IGSSA Soccer, Interschools Snowsports, IGSSA Cross Country, Queenwood Athletics Carnival, Dance, Equestrian, Taekwondo
TERM 3
AFL, IGSSA Hockey, IGSSA Athletics, IGSSA Netball, State and National Championships Snow Sports, Queenwood Tennis Championships, Dance, Equestrian, Taekwondo
TERM 4
IGSSA Waterpolo, Rowing, HKDTA Tennis, Queenwood Surfing Championships, Dance, Equestrian, Taekwondo

test

Last edited:
This article shows a photo of the Pymble Ladies College (on Sydney's North Shore) AF oval, on its school grounds, with its permanent AF goal posts... a sign o' the times.

"Once you're out there, you focus on the ball, & pretty much killing the other player. You turn into a wild animal" laughed a Pymble player.

Since this article was written in 2019, the overall no. of girls in Sydney, in the IGSSA private schools comp., playing inter-school AF, has increased by c. 200%+ (Also a very large increase in the no. of boys' private school teams).
There are now 3 Divisions for year 7 & 8 girls; ditto 3 Divisions for years 9 & 10.

Queenwood Girls' College, Mosman, on the North Shore also, has now joined the local Sydney Harbour AF comp. ie it has left the IGSSA AF comp.
Perhaps it seeks to play girls' AF at a higher standard, for longer, as it plays AF for two school terms.

We compete in the following sports:
TERM 1
IGSSA Tennis, IGSSA Swimming and Diving, Rowing, Tildesley Shield Tennis, UNSW Waterpolo, SIHA Indoor Hockey, Queenwood Swimming Carnival, Dance, Equestrian, Taekwondo
TERM 2
AFL, IGSSA Basketball, IGSSA Soccer, Interschools Snowsports, IGSSA Cross Country, Queenwood Athletics Carnival, Dance, Equestrian, Taekwondo
TERM 3
AFL, IGSSA Hockey, IGSSA Athletics, IGSSA Netball, State and National Championships Snow Sports, Queenwood Tennis Championships, Dance, Equestrian, Taekwondo
TERM 4
IGSSA Waterpolo, Rowing, HKDTA Tennis, Queenwood Surfing Championships, Dance, Equestrian, Taekwondo

test

Noticed in the Pymble article which was dated 2019 that the game started at that school in 2018. That particular year is mentioned a lot and most the growth since has been driven by the AFLW being on TV, word of mouth, and in local media in each area.
These used to be rock solid Rugby areas and our game has eaten into that dominance, and Rugby League never featured at all in those same areas.
Because our sport covers all society levels it is hard to comprehend any other way but the Rugby Codes up there were always divided at society levels and I think up there we are attracting a percentage of the Rugby followers through their daughters etc taking up our code.
What is interesting is the growth of Womens Rugby up there and how that will affect our game long term. We just dont know.

Noticed in the Pymble article which was dated 2019 that the game started at that school in 2018. That particular year is mentioned a lot and most the growth since has been driven by the AFLW being on TV, word of mouth, and in local media in each area.
These used to be rock solid Rugby areas and our game has eaten into that dominance, and Rugby League never featured at all in those same areas.
Because our sport covers all society levels it is hard to comprehend any other way but the Rugby Codes up there were always divided at society levels and I think up there we are attracting a percentage of the Rugby followers through their daughters etc taking up our code.
What is interesting is the growth of Womens Rugby up there and how that will affect our game long term. We just dont know.
2019 also being the year Pymble graduate, and rugby sevens gold medallist, Chloe Dalton (who has recently been traded to GWS, which I'm sure many are aware) started playing AFLW, as it happens. Not the only athlete from that school who's gone alright in two sports, fwiw. Footy factory potential? We don't know that either.

But what we do know is the Swans are 16 or 28 months away from playing their first AFLW game for premiership points, so I doubt we've seen the last major spurts of the sport's growth in Sydney.

Last edited:
2019 also being the year Pymble graduate, and rugby sevens gold medallist, Chloe Dalton (who has recently been traded to GWS, which I'm sure many are aware) started playing AFLW, as it happens. Not the only athlete from that school who's gone alright in two sports, fwiw. Footy factory potential? We don't know that either.

But what we do know is the Swans are 16 or 28 months away from playing their first AFLW game for premiership points, so I doubt we've seen the last major spurts of the sport's growth in Sydney.
Totally agree about the Swans AFLW debut and its ramifications. The women/youth players in their zone or what ever will be able to see a pathway at last to senior Womens footy. Remember they are not in a footy heartland and there are heaps of other womens sports around.

Katika Adams has made a major contribution to AF in Coffs Harbour, & nthn NSW, which is having strong female & male GR AF growth. She now coaches the men's Reserves team, & male Swans' Academy players there.

Katika said “I’m super passionate about really good, young AFLW players being able to realise their full potential and get drafted.”

Katika credits the AFLW with making a big impression on young athletes striving to be their best: “We’re seeing some beautiful players coming from up here. I’m talking about girls who are 10 years old being able to kick 30 metres! It’s phenomenal.
(AF must be getting some very good, female athletes there, if 10y.o girls can kick 30 mtrs!)

“There was a period about 10 or 15 years ago when we were developing girls in their 20s to play the sport. Now we are getting motor skills and tactics happening in younger girls, we’re seeing a better brand of football. That’s evident in the AFLW where the crowds are growing because the football’s getting better and the competition’s getting better.”

This is another example of the inspiration of the AFLW on many females, including in NSW, ACT, & Qld.- & it is very likely that female GR AF there (& the AFL) will be turbocharged when the Swans get their own AFLW team.

Last edited:
1. The Swans have made a formal request to the AFL for its AFLW team to start one year earlier ie December 2022. The AFL will decide on this request in the next 4 weeks.

The Swans female Academy has 299 players- when these players reach 19 y.o., the Sydney AF Women's Premier comp. standard is not, generally, high enough for these elite younger players to develop sufficiently.
A Swans' AFLW team would turbocharge female GR AF growth in Sydney, & throughout NSW. The Swans have a much higher profile in NSW, pop. c. 8.2m, than GWS.

2."AFLW: An historic night as two Swans get drafted
QBE Sydney Swans Academy Under 19 Captain Jess Doyle has become the first athlete in the QBE Sydney Swans Youth Girls program to be drafted alongside fellow Academy member Georgie Fowler.
3 days ago

<!--
Jess2.jpeg
-->

QBE Sydney Swans Academy Under 19 Captain Jess Doyle and fellow Academy member Georgie Fowler have become the first athletes in the QBE Sydney Swans Youth Girls program to be drafted.
Doyle, a 19-year old from the Manly-Warringah Wolves was drafted to the GWS Giants at pick 49 in tonight’s AFLW Draft.
An athletic forward, Doyle has impressed in her appearances in the Academy Series for the QBE Swans Academy and in the national championships for the Allies.
Doyle rounded off a successful national championships with selection in the AFLW Under 19 Championships All-Australian Team and also became the first QBE Swans Academy graduate to play in the VFLW when she played two games for Williamstown earlier in the year.

Fellow Academy member Georgie Fowler, who plays for the East Coast Eagles, was also picked up by the Giants at pick 59.
Fowler, a forward, was unfortunately injured during the Academy Series with stress fractures in her back, but is known for her strong marking ability and finishing skills.

Georgie2.jpeg

Georgie Fowler at a QBE Sydney Swans Academy training session.

It is hoped that when the next AFLW Draft takes place in 2022, the Sydney Swans will be part of it.
In May this year, the AFL announced that the club would be granted entry into the AFLW by 2023.
However the club has put in a bid to be part of the competition sooner, in 2022.

This bid was submitted to the AFL in the last fortnight and the AFL Commission is expected to make a decision on the club's submission at its meeting in August this year".

Last edited:
AFR 2.8.21

M. Bryant, Sparro Digital Marketing Agency ("Australia's Largest Digital Performance Agency") co-founder (with his brother) is c. 40 y.o., & is Sydney born & bred. He (& his co-founder brother) plays for lowly Randwick Reserves, & he says he is not very skilled, re AF's kick, "catch", or handball.

Anecdotal, but interesting. He loved RL as a child, but didn't play it because his parents didn't let him, "pretty small".
He also describes what features of AF he finds most enjoyable (Camaraderie, & "You meet all sorts. You can't beat that". This echoes the comments of many female players, that the big AF team lists make the sport attractive: easier to find kindred spirits/new friends. He abhors the occasional thuggery).

This exec loves playing Aussie rules football, broken bones and all
Kicks aren’t always straight and play can be scrappy, but Sparro’s Morris Bryant says his weekend reserve-grade games get him outside his usual bubble. He answers our Time Out Q&A.

0a97f29c8995c62507ef0ac19bcbab3cfb9b541b

Sparro co-founder Morris Bryant is carried by his teammates after playing his 100th game this year.

Morris Bryant is co-founder of digital marketing agency Sparro. He lives in Sydney.
First memory of playing Australian rules?

One of my best friends at school, Earl Shaw, used to have a group of us kick the footy up, so he could come screaming through the pack and mark the ball over us. We were about 11, and he was already five feet tall. We had no idea what was going on and weren’t much competition for him, but we loved it. Years later, he was a rookie for the Sydney Swans.

Are you a member of a club and how often do you play?
My brother Cameron and I both play in the centre in the reserve (“ressies”) grade at the Randwick City Saints. We’re two of four brothers who used to wrestle a lot, so we love the scrap of playing in the centre. I played my 100th game earlier this year, running through the banner and all. It took me nine years and a lot of broken bones, but I was really proud to get there and to get recognition from the club on the day. I absolutely didn’t deserve to be carried off on shoulders, but I wasn’t going to argue for a second.

How often do you train?
The club trains twice a week. We get a bit of constructive yelling from the coach, then it’s ball work and fitness. I’ve always loved how supportive Aussie rules is. You come in from a drill and everyone gets around each other. I’m not thinking about clicks and budgets when I’m out there.
6af8fd8f9db1d1cb5843bcc3767a85dbcd1ef138

Morris Bryant plays in the reserve grade of the Randwick City Saints.

Did you ever want to play in another football code?
I always wanted to play NRL as a kid, but I was pretty small so my parents wouldn’t let me. They didn’t really know much about Aussie rules, so when I started playing they didn’t immediately realise I was out there getting cleaned up every week anyway. I had no skills whatsoever, but just ran all day and absolutely loved it.

Are you skilled at kicking, catching and hand balling?
No.
Your greatest strength as a player?
At 100 games and just a handful of goals, I would probably say stubbornness and work rate. I am one of the older players out there now, but I still work hard and run all game.

Most like to play a game with?
My old friend Earl still sneaks a game in with me once a year or so. Being out there with him and my brother Cam is about as good as it gets. I would love to see my other two brothers play, but then I would be the fourth-best Bryant on the field.

Most important quality on the field?
We play low-grade footy, which is fairly unpredictable. Kicks don’t go straight or where you expect them. Some don’t make it to the boot. Most of the ball is won on the ground, so it’s quite scrappy and physical. I think you excel at that level of footy by being able to read the play and adapt, rather than by being the most skilled with hands or foot.

dc3cd72d85f782c40afa799d664f344320dd498a

Dan Ford (left), Elijah “Lij” Elias (captain) and Morris Bryant wearing the jerseys they don for the Indigenous round. They were designed by Ngandabaa.

Most inspiring AFL player?
Adam Goodes. He was a unique, adaptable player, and humble and selfless off the field.
Most memorable moment on the field?
We won the Division Five premiership in my second season in 2013, the first flag for the club. The game had a bit of everything. At one point, one of our blokes kicked the ball into his own face on the run, caught it and carried on. In the third quarter I shattered my collarbone and missed the rest of the game, which was heartbreaking.
Tips to become a better player?
Don’t listen to broken-down ressies players answering questions in The Australian Financial Review.

Most love about the game?
Our coach looks like a bikie and sells candles for a living. Local footy gets you right outside your bubble, industry and area – you meet all sorts. You can’t beat that.
Dislike about the game?
I do struggle with the machoism that makes it into the game. I think it’s improved over the years – and I’ve probably been better at pacifying it, too. A few years ago, a guy picked me out off the ball and drove me into the ground on my chest because I’d been marking him. I split the cartilage between my sternum and ribs. I missed a lot of the season and could barely sleep for months. I’ve broken a lot of bones, but that was the most painful injury I’ve had.
It wasn’t football either, just an angry guy trying to hurt someone. I really struggled with that for a while. I love hard football and a bit of trash talk, but we’ve all got to go to work on Monday; there’s no place for violence.
lifeandleisure@afr.com

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FoxLeague NRL 360 3.8.21

In scatological musings, referring to Sydney Rooster players, P. Rothfield said

"...before Trent Robinson came [as coach], they had a shocking rap...they were pooing in hotel corridors".

!?

Last edited:

Yes, " across different formats" is the operative phrase.

" Registrations are collated across a number of formats including traditional forms of tackle, non-tackle options in league tag and Try League for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities."

What it DOESN'T say is "traditional forms of tackle" is up - but women are up 20%.
If "traditional forms of tackle" had been up then they would have trumpeted that fact.
I'd take a guess that "traditional forms of tackle" are down.

Yes, " across different formats" is the operative phrase.

" Registrations are collated across a number of formats including traditional forms of tackle, non-tackle options in league tag and Try League for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities."

What it DOESN'T say is "traditional forms of tackle" is up - but women are up 20%.
If "traditional forms of tackle" had been up then they would have trumpeted that fact.
I'd take a guess that "traditional forms of tackle" are down.

Doesn’t mean things are harder for AFL.

Doesn’t mean things are harder for AFL.

I'd take a guess that "traditional forms of tackle" are down which some people would say would make it easier for "AFL".
IMO the only relevant fact is that Australian Football is developing extremely well in Sydney
and I don't see any reason for that not to continue.

GWS & Sydney membership nos. are very strong, cf NRL clubs in NSW (& around Aust.)

For all codes, the covid-affected 2020 & 2021 seasons have, generally, caused a diminution (but not for all Clubs, some non-NSW AFL clubs have had record nos. in the last 2 years).

According to Wookie's footyindustry site, for the first time in 2021, the AFL Auditor will allow clubs to call people "members", even if they have not paid a minimum of $50 (the club only is required by the Auditor to have their names & contact details, & also must have sent these "members" a membership pack).

This 2021 new policy is farce &, unfortunately, makes a mockery of any meaningful comparisons with previous seasons.
Does any one know if other codes have a similar policy?

GWS Members
2019 30,109
2020 30,841
2021 30,185

GWS would have many membership packages of 3 games (in Canberra) & 8 games for Homebush - very few would be 11 games, or more.
GWS has reported that c. 6k member are ACT-based.
Interestingly, GWS has remained steady at c. 30k in the last 3years- whilst Sydney has noticeably fallen?

Sydney
2019 60,912
2020 48,322
2021 50,144

(To enlarge Table, click on it- then click again on the Table from actual Twitter link).

These are the Roy Morgan nos. for people who call themselves a '"Fan", inc. up to 2021, of any of the 18 AFL clubs.
I assume the fan definition is very loose- Sydney has 1.052M "fans".

(To enlarge Table, click on above Table- then click again on the Table from actual twitter link).

Last edited:
1. The addition of a Swans' team into the AFLW, from December 2022, will turbocharge the profile of the AFLW in NSW; & also turbocharge female GR AF nos. in NSW.
In the Swans' Zones in NS & ES (where female comp. AF nos. are booming, as well as the gentrified inner WS), elite female players now have a local elite AFLW pathway to aspire to.

2. Swans set to use rugby league’s inner west ‘jewel’ as AFLW home ground
Vince Rugari

By Vince Rugari
August 12, 2021 — 6.42pm

The jewel in the crown of rugby league grounds is poised to become a permanent refuge for a rival code, as the Sydney Swans zero in on a new-look Henson Park as the likely home of their new AFLW team.
The AFL is pushing for a $7 million redevelopment of the iconic Marrickville venue, where the Newtown Jets have played since 1937, to make it ready for AFLW matches for the Swans’ first season in the competition late next year.
The AFL’s proposal for a refurbished grandstand at Henson Park.

Inner West Council last month adopted a new 10-year plan of management for Henson Park, including concept drawings for a refurbished grandstand submitted by the AFL, which is determined to address Sydney’s dire shortage of ovals fit for elite-level football.
The council also provided a letter of support for the Swans’ AFLW bid submission, which was officially approved on Thursday as they and three other clubs were granted entry to the competition.

Swans chief executive Tom Harley described Henson Park and the plans for female-friendly change rooms and improved media facilities, potentially including broadcast-standard floodlights, as a “really attractive opportunity” for the code.
“Clearly a supportive council goes a long way towards upgrading the facilities to meet elite AFLW aspirations,” he said.“Henson Park is an oval that has worked uniquely really well as a multi-sport field with the Jets and importantly, it doesn’t have a cricket wicket. With the moving of the [AFLW] competition to summer that becomes extremely important.

The Swans have almost 300 girls in their academy program - and from late next year, they’ll have an AFLW team to aspire to.

The Swans have almost 300 girls in their academy program - and from late next year, they’ll have an AFLW team to aspire to.

“Like everything, it ultimately comes down to funding, and we’ll work with all the stakeholders required to make sure we get the best possible outcome.”
The addition of the Swans, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn and Essendon to the AFLW will ensure that all 18 clubs will have women’s divisions from the season after next, starting in late 2022.

“Simply, the competition is now whole,” said AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan.
Sydney did not apply for an AFLW licence when the league launched in 2017, primarily because of a lack of suitable facilities for both training and playing matches. Both those issues look set to be addressed between now and the Swans’ first women’s match.

AFLW expands to 18 teams
Play video
1:04
AFLW expands to 18 teams

AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan has confirmed that the AFLW competition will expand to include all 18 clubs from season seven onwards.
Inner West Council has just completed a $2.5 million improvement of Henson Park’s turf and drainage, with the next stage of the redevelopment – if approved over the coming months – anticipated to be jointly funded by the council, the NSW government, AFL and the Jets, who are supportive of the plans and would continue to play NSW Cup matches at their spiritual home during the winter.

McLachlan has made regular visits to Sydney to meet with government officials and press the AFL’s case for upgraded facilities to support the code’s surge in viewership and participation in NSW.

AFL intra-club and pre-season matches have been played at Henson Park for several years, but the amenities at the ground are “well below community standards for sporting use” and no longer fit for purpose, according to minutes from a council meeting last month. The proposed work to the heritage-listed grandstand is modest and would not detract from the ground’s unique features and atmosphere.

As for where the Swans’ women will train, COVID-19 did force the abandonment of a planned $70 million renovation of the Royal Hall of Industries next to the SCG, which would have housed both the AFLW team and netball’s NSW Swifts. Harley would not speak in detail but said the club was working on “reigniting” that project and had “extremely strong confidence” the Swans would have expanded facilities in time for their first season in the AFLW.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/af...ms-from-end-of-next-year-20210812-p58i2n.html

Last edited:
Swans set to use rugby league’s inner west ‘jewel’ as AFLW home ground
Vince Rugari

By Vince Rugari
August 12, 2021 — 6.42pm

The jewel in the crown of rugby league grounds is poised to become a permanent refuge for a rival code.

This must rank as one of the most ridiculous statements ever printed. If this is a jewel - then heaven help the average NRL grounds.

The AFL is pushing for a $7 million redevelopment of the iconic Marrickville venue, where the Newtown Jets have played since 1937, to make it ready for AFLW matches for the Swans’ first season in the competition late next year.

After this investment is completed then the word "jewel" might be considered, but not a moment sooner.

This must rank as one of the most ridiculous statements ever printed. If this is a jewel - then heaven help the average NRL grounds. ...
After this investment is completed then the word "jewel" might be considered, but not a moment sooner.
I think the term "jewel" in the context of the article would refer to the ground's heritage, not its present facilities. The ground is home to the Newtown Jets, which is a foundation rl club from 1908 and the oldest surviving NSW rl club. The ground used to be one of Sydneys major rl grounds back in the day. Obviously the demographics have changed since, being now part of the inner and Eastern suburbs turning to our Australian Football.

1. The addition of a Swans' team into the AFLW, from December 2022, will turbocharge the profile of the AFLW in NSW; & also turbocharge female GR AF nos. in NSW.
In the Swans' Zones in NS & ES (where female comp. AF nos. are booming, as well as the gentrified inner WS), elite female players now have a local elite AFLW pathway to spire to.

2. Swans set to use rugby league’s inner west ‘jewel’ as AFLW home ground
Vince Rugari

By Vince Rugari
August 12, 2021 — 6.42pm

The jewel in the crown of rugby league grounds is poised to become a permanent refuge for a rival code, as the Sydney Swans zero in on a new-look Henson Park as the likely home of their new AFLW team.

Inner West Council last month adopted a new 10-year plan of management for Henson Park, including concept drawings for a refurbished grandstand submitted by the AFL, which is determined to address Sydney’s dire shortage of ovals fit for elite-level football.
The council also provided a letter of support for the Swans’ AFLW bid submission, which was officially approved on Thursday as they and three other clubs were granted entry to the competition.

Swans chief executive Tom Harley described Henson Park and the plans for female-friendly change rooms and improved media facilities, potentially including broadcast-standard floodlights, as a “really attractive opportunity” for the code.
“Clearly a supportive council goes a long way towards upgrading the facilities to meet elite AFLW aspirations,” he said.“Henson Park is an oval that has worked uniquely really well as a multi-sport field with the Jets and importantly, it doesn’t have a cricket wicket. With the moving of the [AFLW] competition to summer that becomes extremely important.

“Like everything, it ultimately comes down to funding, and we’ll work with all the stakeholders required to make sure we get the best possible outcome.”
The addition of the Swans, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn and Essendon to the AFLW will ensure that all 18 clubs will have women’s divisions from the season after next, starting in late 2022.

“Simply, the competition is now whole,” said AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan.
Sydney did not apply for an AFLW licence when the league launched in 2017, primarily because of a lack of suitable facilities for both training and playing matches. Both those issues look set to be addressed between now and the Swans’ first women’s match.

AFLW expands to 18 teams
Play video
1:04
AFLW expands to 18 teams

AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan has confirmed that the AFLW competition will expand to include all 18 clubs from season seven onwards.
Inner West Council has just completed a $2.5 million improvement of Henson Park’s turf and drainage, with the next stage of the redevelopment – if approved over the coming months – anticipated to be jointly funded by the council, the NSW government, AFL and the Jets, who are supportive of the plans and would continue to play NSW Cup matches at their spiritual home during the winter.

McLachlan has made regular visits to Sydney to meet with government officials and press the AFL’s case for upgraded facilities to support the code’s surge in viewership and participation in NSW.

AFL intra-club and pre-season matches have been played at Henson Park for several years, but the amenities at the ground are “well below community standards for sporting use” and no longer fit for purpose, according to minutes from a council meeting last month. The proposed work to the heritage-listed grandstand is modest and would not detract from the ground’s unique features and atmosphere.

As for where the Swans’ women will train, COVID-19 did force the abandonment of a planned $70 million renovation of the Royal Hall of Industries next to the SCG, which would have housed both the AFLW team and netball’s NSW Swifts. Harley would not speak in detail but said the club was working on “reigniting” that project and had “extremely strong confidence” the Swans would have expanded facilities in time for their first season in the AFLW.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/af...ms-from-end-of-next-year-20210812-p58i2n.html
Two points out of this article --
The Journo is showing his built in Sydney anti AFL bias by using the word "refuge" for describing the Henson Park facilty. Did not use the normal words of Base or HQ. Still a long way to go with the Sydney media, and sometimes words matter.
Memo to Gil -You are visiting Sydney not AFL heartland looking for faciities up there. Still no reason not to try, and it is rumoured he is getting near the end of his reign. Everything he achieves now very important to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back