Review Round 22 vs Essendon @ Alphabet Stadium (Sunday 15.08.2021 - 3:20pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Goldcoast-vs-Essendon.png

2021 AFL Season
Round 22
Gold Coast FC vs Essendon Bombers
GMHBA Stadium, Geelong, Victoria
Sunday 15th of August - 3:20pm Australian Eastern Standard Time​

Last edited:

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We’ll come into this game with the leagues
9th best defence
17th or 18th best attack

Essendon defence is bottom 5 or 6.
Can we please kick a few goals!

needing king to get to 50 goals this year - due to slot 3 or 4.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We’ll come into this game with the leagues
9th best defence
17th or 18th best attack

Essendon defence is bottom 5 or 6.
Can we please kick a few goals!

needing king to get to 50 goals this year - due to slot 3 or 4.
We kicked 11 to win today
Oppositions know they only have to kick 12 against us to beat us
We haven't averaged more than 10 goals a game since 2016
Unlikely to change next week but we can hope
I have more faith in Joel Jeffrey than just about any small forward we've listed since Matera but he's a couple of years away from bringing consistent bags
Guys like Stringer and Tippa will be licking their lips
Stringer basically beat us on his own last time

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't think Rankine comes back in after a win like today. But I worry this period, just due to circumstance, feels like more than just getting dropped — he's pretty isolated from the team, no vfl games to get back into it, may not get another go this season.

Get we get him down there to be the sub?

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
We kicked 11 to win today
Oppositions know they only have to kick 12 against us to beat us
We haven't averaged more than 10 goals a game since 2016
Unlikely to change next week but we can hope
I have more faith in Joel Jeffrey than just about any small forward we've listed since Matera but he's a couple of years away from bringing consistent bags
Guys like Stringer and Tippa will be licking their lips
Stringer basically beat us on his own last time
Tippa has been pretty average since the bye. Send Lemmens straight to Stringer, has handled similar players like De Goey and Martin this year well.

Win this or the Sydney game and I would be giving us a tentative pass for the season.

Bowes probably comes in for Ellis is only change I would make unless Weller/Markov are passed fit and are available.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Great chance for that grub Dorodo to pick out who he wants to give us a 4th rounder at the end of the year. Can wait to see him gloat about “ winning” a trade again like he did about 2MP. Makes me skin crawl
I think we've found out over the past few years that there's not much you can do about it if a player wants to leave
The AFLPA isn't too fussed about competition equality

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think we've found out over the past few years that there's not much you can do about it if a player wants to leave
The AFLPA isn't too fussed about competition equality

This was a salary cap dump. Whilst I think it was a poor trade it might have saved us heartache down the track

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
This was a salary cap dump. Whilst I think it was a poor trade it might have saved us heartache down the track

b9c554ea32ddf54db19f165b8a8b5edc.jpg

Definitely a salary cap dump, we shouldn’t worry too much. Wright is still a decent afl footballer but if he stayed and not improved he would of blocked Burgess, Corbett & Jeffery’s pathway to senior football.

Compare the pair;
- same amount of games
- player B is 10cm and 10kg heavier and been in the system way longer than Player A
- Player A Is on $80k/y (rookie wage allegedly) - Player B is on $500k/y

Player A is Chris Burgess
Player B is Peter Wright

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
b9c554ea32ddf54db19f165b8a8b5edc.jpg

Definitely a salary cap dump, we shouldn’t worry too much. Wright is still a decent afl footballer but if he stayed and not improved he would of blocked Burgess, Corbett & Jeffery’s pathway to senior football.

Compare the pair;
- same amount of games
- player B is 10cm and 10kg heavier and been in the system way longer than Player A
- Player A Is on $80k/y (rookie wage allegedly) - Player B is on $500k/y

Player A is Chris Burgess
Player B is Peter Wright
I'd also argue letting touk's mate go aswell last year has allowed Miller to focus more on his craft unlocking his true potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Any chance we give Elijah a debut before the end of the year.
Give him a taste of how fast the game is and how fit he needs to be.

Got the feeling he was an elite junior because of natural gifts more than absolute dedication to his body etc..
Will want a big pre season.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Touk has been building this to his game since 2019 when he traveled to America to April’s.team to do the same training as boak & bontempelli

This is what Rowell needs. Miller wasn't overly explosive, then did this and now burns people off. Rowell needs it bad

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't really understand the worry at this point with Rowell. This is a kid who has practically missed the first 18 months of his football career. He's come back well under the ridiculous standard he set in his first five games, but remember that, it was ONLY five games and then 18 months off.

If he gains nothing more than confidence in this back half of this season, it's a win. He'll work as hard as hell in the preseason and build himself back up.

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't really understand the worry at this point with Rowell. This is a kid who has practically missed the first 18 months of his football career. He's come back well under the ridiculous standard he set in his first five games, but remember that, it was ONLY five games and then 18 months off.

If he gains nothing more than confidence in this back half of this season, it's a win. He'll work as hard as hell in the preseason and build himself back up.

I’m certainly not worried about Rowell long term. I wonder if, with two games to go, we should just look to next year for him and take no risks. Play other kids like Davies for a game or two maybe and give them a taste.

having said that, I feel Rowell is doing his role. He’s basically trying to take Greenwood’a spot and compete contest to contest. He lacks the bigger body due to age and has lost his explosiveness due to injuries, but he’s the first player to chase the ball from a stoppage so the desire is there to compete.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Both Rowell and Anderson are going to be A graders-generational talents
Even at the moment Rowell's ability to be where he has to be and his reading of the play is phenomenal
I was a bit worried he might be a Swallow- knees have left Dave as just a good ordinary player-but when you watch him closely he's going to be very very good simply because he reads the play better than anyone on the ground
He benefitted as a junior by being a man child but I have no doubt in 3 or 4 years he will be a Clayton/Wines/Miller
Has just suffered from the overhype when he literally burst onto the scene

edit:I also think he's a salutory tale for anyone who believes in the Rory T Dream.Rowell is a fit healthy 19yo who has struggled to find the pace of the game after only being out for 12 months.A 31 yo out for 4 years is so unlikely as to be close to impossible in my opinion.You do wonder if the Club would cut their losses and pay him out to enable a State League KPD (are there any?) to come in as a rookie

Last edited:

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Going early in the first quarter but good time to play the bombers, young team burning out

Back