Society/Culture Billionaires

I expect billionaires correlates to having things in modern society that we all love, depend on and absolutely take for granted.

Unfortunately with how our political system is structured, if you're going to give billions of dollars and hope to achieve innovation and positive outcomes for your country then it's best giving that to the people who have to get it from you with mutually beneficial voluntary transactions and not giving it to the politicians who will use it to get re-elected and then need more money again.

This is why I think having billionaires wave their junk around in space races is ideal. It's their money, paid for by selling things to people that they want and when the technology is developed from it we will all benefit from being able to purchase new fun toys or personal computers in our pockets.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I expect billionaires correlates to having things in modern society that we all love, depend on and absolutely take for granted.

Unfortunately with how our political system is structured, if you're going to give billions of dollars and hope to achieve innovation and positive outcomes for your country then it's best giving that to the people who have to get it from you with mutually beneficial voluntary transactions and not giving it to the politicians who will use it to get re-elected and then need more money again.

This is why I think having billionaires wave their junk around in space races is ideal. It's their money, paid for by selling things to people that they want and when the technology is developed from it we will all benefit from being able to purchase new fun toys or personal computers in our pockets.
With a global economy, small businesses can be made by mother's at home.
Third World entrepreneurs can make it in a global economy.
Micro business go from turning over a few hundred K to millions.
Millionaires become multi millionaires.
Multi millionaires become billionaires.

What's the problem.
We all benefit.
Who hasn't by choice got a $1500 mobile phone.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

With a global economy, small businesses can be made by mother's at home.
Third World entrepreneurs can make it in a global economy.
Micro business go from turning over a few hundred K to millions.
Millionaires become multi millionaires.
Multi millionaires become billionaires.

What's the problem.
We all benefit.
Who hasn't by choice got a $1500 mobile phone.

Even then I think there is a divide between the perception and reality of the amount of work and years involved in becoming an overnight sensation.

Which leads to people distorting their view of fair to being of relatively equal outcome regardless of input.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Even then I think there is a divide between the perception and reality of the amount of work and years involved in becoming an overnight sensation.

Which leads to people distorting their view of fair to being of relatively equal outcome regardless of input.
Average people really don't understand the absolute obsession that these people put into turning dreams into reality.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Except that they aren't paying for all of it themselves, some of the money they're using are tax dollars. They shouldn't be doing this. If it means their net worth and the company's stock price falls by using all of their own income, then so be it, but greed stops that from happening.

Except that they aren't paying for all of it themselves, some of the money they're using are tax dollars. They shouldn't be doing this. If it means their net worth and the company's stock price falls by using all of their own income, then so be it, but greed stops that from happening.
I'm completely on board with this if we also factor in how much income tax, payroll tax, sales tax etc the businesses have brought in for the governments handing out subsidies.

The whole picture of just how much society wins should be public.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm completely on board with this if we also factor in how much income tax, payroll tax, sales tax etc the businesses have brought in for the governments handing out subsidies.

The whole picture of just how much society wins should be public.

Yeah, if they're getting back what they've given then that's fine.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It seems everytime someone is antognostic to wealth producing people in relation to how much tax they pay. It's because they want things they don't have, and somehow think the government's going to deliver them that to their driveway after collecting tax from these rich people.
The "noble" code for this;
Redistribute wealth to the following social causes.

It's really, I want that , and can't get it so its not fair..

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It seems everytime someone is antognostic to wealth producing people in relation to how much tax they pay. It's because they want things they don't have, and somehow think the government's going to deliver them that to their driveway after collecting tax from these rich people.
The "noble" code for this;
Redistribute wealth to the following social causes.

It's really, I want that , and can't get it so its not fair..

Perhaps that's the case for many leftists; I don't know. But for me, I'm under no illusion that is collecting more taxes = a utopian society. But I still support wealth tax reforms because a world where you have billionaires that could easily survive on six and seven-figure incomes, let alone the eight and nine-figure incomes their portfolios generate while millions of people are starving to death or on the streets, is ****ed up. No one needs more than a million a month, and no CEO or business leader should be making 1000x more than their employees.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Perhaps that's the case for many leftists; I don't know. But for me, I'm under no illusion that is collecting more taxes = a utopian society. But I still support wealth tax reforms because a world where you have billionaires that could easily survive on six and seven-figure incomes, let alone the eight and nine-figure incomes their portfolios generate while millions of people are starving to death or on the streets, is f’ed up. No one needs more than a million a month, and no CEO or business leader should be making 1000x more than their employees.
They don't do it for the money at a certain point.
That's the misconception. They can't spend it.
It's the next challenge, the next goals. The next ambitions.

The sentiment you wrote, is the same sentiment I have.
But toward Beaurocrats, Politicians and government run business.

The cheek, that some Politicians agreed to an above CPI wage increase, whilst deciding in a board room with tax payed pastries, what tax payers will be allowed to work, and which won't.
That is repugnant in my view.

Making your own millions is not.
But hey that's just me.

Edit..
I think you mixing salary and bonus earning CEOs employed by big business, which is different to a self made billionaire.

Perhaps that's the case for many leftists; I don't know. But for me, I'm under no illusion that is collecting more taxes = a utopian society. But I still support wealth tax reforms because a world where you have billionaires that could easily survive on six and seven-figure incomes, let alone the eight and nine-figure incomes their portfolios generate while millions of people are starving to death or on the streets, is f’ed up. No one needs more than a million a month, and no CEO or business leader should be making 1000x more than their employees.

I expect almost every single billionaire ever has ridden the wave of growth of what they own more than had a thousand million dollars sent to them over the course of their careers.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Are you referring to government printing money for covid economic recovery, which no doubt will lead to devaluation and inflation?

If every governmemt prints money during a pandemic it can’t lead to devaluation. Devaluation is a relative measure.

but yes I was referring to inflation.

But most people earn more then the minimum wage. minimum wage policy impacts only a small fraction of the workforce.
seriously?
Wake up. Do you think I am talking about the people who have plenty of money?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Where do the tax dollars come from? That'd be the taxpayers, & a tax deduction is not a gift, its a cost of earning the taxable income.

I only care if they then go actively take money from the disadvantaged.

Who is 'they' ?

Back