We need to talk about Oscar

Remove this Banner Ad

Jury still out imo but easily the most promising performance since last year. We don't need Oscar to be dominant, we need him to neutralise the ruck contest enough and take some grabs around the ground.

Darcy has been quite comfortably the third best ruck this year so a very good scalp. Would like him to go on and be consistent for the rest of the season though.

Fullarton seems to be progressing nicely.

He's pretty mobile for a big man and does some nice things around the ground.

Rucking seems to be improving too but it would be interesting to know where the club sees his future position in the line-up

Either way, he's worth persevering with

I'll apologise in advance for the derail

Rucking seems to be improving too but it would be interesting to know where the club sees his future position in the line-up

The only knock is that he looks like Jarrod berry at first glance. Needs to go the mullet to stand out.

The only knock is that he looks like Jarrod berry at first glance. Needs to go the mullet to stand out.

He isn’t strong enough yet, he gets pushed out of the way far to easily,may never be first ruck. He has good hands so second ruck/forward

He isn’t strong enough yet, he gets pushed out of the way far to easily,may never be first ruck. He has good hands so second ruck/forward
I am liking how Oscar has found the Clark Keating ruck option more & more i.e. belt the f****r forward when in doubt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Oscar's leg getting better..Pretty sure he been carrying that bad leg since he did it.
I actually thought he looked as though he was limping quite early in the game yesterday.
Didn’t stop him though, I thought he played a solid game against one of the better ruckman in the comp.

Yep hats off to the Big O for yesterdays performance, took it up to a quality AFL level ruckman and got the points. A step in the right direction in terms of his development.

Darcy always reminds me a little of Ben Hudson in playing style, not overly athletic but strong and good skills once the ball hits the deck.

I am liking how Oscar has found the Clark Keating ruck option more & more i.e. belt the f****r forward when in doubt

Now to use it against all the top 6 ruckman. Big O is ever improving and never stops trying. Great team man.

Our coach said it best during his contract extension earlier this year.

Lions Senior Coach Chris Fagan said the signing would generate a buzz around the Club.

“This is great news for our footy club,’’ he said.

“Oscar is a very humble guy and he probably doesn’t realise what he means to us, not just as a great footballer and teammate, but also as a person.

“You wouldn’t find a more professional, hardworking player than the Big O and because of that constant drive to improve he has elevated himself to be one of the best ruckmen in the league.

“His teammates love playing with him and they draw inspiration from the way he trains and the standards he sets himself.’’

Great performance, though I wonder if he'll still need more help next year than what Fullarton or Daniher can provide.

Fullarton has plenty of improvement in him once he realises how big and mobile he is but a ruckman at the moment he is not. But could be one with plenty of work over the next few summers and seasons.

I don't think we need to talk about Oscar.

We need more to talk about a support ruck for Oscar. Oscar can be either first ruck or support ruck, but we need a competitive partner. Ideally Oscar is better suited to the support role given his capability to mark and kick a goal up forward, but with good backup he can handle the main role.

Fullerton may be the answer but probably not just yet; like many ex basketballers he needs to get stronger and get comfortable with the physical side of football/rucking.

A mature ruckman with a year or two left in him would be ideal. Steff would have been good but it looks like we made the right call on him given his injuries this year.

I don't think we need to talk about Oscar.

We need more to talk about a support ruck for Oscar.

You mean the thing the OP was about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back