MRP / Trib. Joel Selwood....again

Remove this Banner Ad

Commentators should not be allowed to discuss MRO decisions or what they think the outcome should be during matches.

This completely intervenes with the integrity of the MRO remaining partial to the incidents and not having to juggle a different decision to that of the commentators after they have been banging on about some nonsense for 2 hours during the broadcast.

Nah, commentators should be able to say whatever they want.

It's the MRO's job to ignore what the commentators/media say and make an impartial, independent decision and to act with inetgri......nah, I can't type that with a straight face...

Youd probably have a different opinion if Selwood got 2 weeks and Greene got a fine.

Pretty much every non-Geelong poster in this thread is saying Selwood should have got week(s).

Geelong fans are split about 45/65* between "I think he deserved a week" and "waah, waah, you little whingers"

*Deliberately adds up to 110% because some Geelong fans fit under both category.

Selwood got off because despite the act being the definition of what is illegal, the fact Taylor was fine meant it was all clear.

Can anybody explain the suspension to Mason Redman in that case?

Selwood looked a minimum one week to me. 2 a possibility.

Thought Greene would get off with no case to answer.

Pretty bloody unbelievable how it ended up. Near farcical.

Selwood got off because despite the act being the definition of what is illegal, the fact Taylor was fine meant it was all clear.

Can anybody explain the suspension to Mason Redman in that case?

Selwood looked a minimum one week to me. 2 a possibility.

Thought Greene would get off with no case to answer.

Pretty bloody unbelievable how it ended up. Near farcical.
Yet it wasn't that unbelievable at all, in fact, quite predictable.

Just had my first look at the bump... FFS, he couldn't have hit him any cleaner in the head if he tried. So much for the AFL protecting the head.

And then you compare that to the nothing incidents that non-Selwood players get suspended for. This competition is a f**king joke.

The AFL cannot with any credibility talk about player welfare and protecting the head and then make decisions such as these.

But then again, the AFL and credibility parted ways a long way back so...not surprised at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In most criminal courts it's worse. Get caught doing 100km/h in a 60 zone or do 70km/h and hit someone. Which has greater consequences?

No. Its more like:
You and I are both doing 100kph in a 60 zone but the cop writes you up for going 68 and you get a small fine, writes me up for going 100 and I lose my licence for a few months.

If it is mentioned at all.

Whether Selwood deserves a week/s or not (could Selwood got lucky because the player jumped straight back up) I have been very surprised at the silence by the media!?
Greene was of course mentioned today, as he should, and then was expecting them to move onto analyzing Selwood's hit FROM THE SAME GAME and nothing.

I don't want to be melodramatic but really that's borderline corruption.
It’s because it’s Toby Greene. They could dedicate an entire program focusing on him and go into ridiculous analytics as to what he was doing. The media circus is so out of proportion. I personally have always really liked Selwood but the last few years he has been a bit of a grub.

When did this rule get forgotten or interpreted differently?

"Any player who commits three low-level offences in the same season will automatically be banned for one match."

Didn't they get rid of this around the time maybe Fyfe or someone that was eligible and could have potentially won the Brownlow was on the edge of being suspended.

When did this rule get forgotten or interpreted differently?

"Any player who commits three low-level offences in the same season will automatically be banned for one match."

I’m not sure if I have completely made this up but I feel like I have read this somewhere before but I think they way the three fines system works is that it has to be three fines across three different matches instead of just three individual fines.

Selwood got fined twice for two seperate incidents during the Dogs match but that only counts under this rule as “1” fine even though he received two for seperate incidents.

Then he got his next fine for this latest incident which although is his third fine, it’s the second match it has occurred.

Stupid ruling and no idea where this came from but I think that’s correct in how it’s assessed.

So in short, Yes he’s been fined 3 times but only twice under these guidelines. If he got a fine this week, that would be a weeks suspension. Again, I could be completely wrong but that’s the kind of convoluted rules the AFL would implement to save their protected ones.

I’m not sure if I have completely made this up but I feel like I have read this somewhere before but I think they way the three fines system works is that it has to be three fines across three different matches instead of just three individual fines.

Selwood got fined twice for two seperate incidents during the Dogs match but that only counts under this rule as “1” fine even though he received two for seperate incidents.

Then he got his next fine for this latest incident which although is his third fine, it’s the second match it has occurred.

Stupid ruling and no idea where this came from but I think that’s correct in how it’s assessed.

So in short, Yes he’s been fined 3 times but only twice under these guidelines. If he got a fine this week, that would be a weeks suspension. Again, I could be completely wrong but that’s the kind of convoluted rules the AFL would implement to save their protected ones.

There is no longer a rule for three fines and you get suspended. I assume it was dropped because some Brownlow favourites were getting close to a suspension and missing out or maybe the media getting upset at someone facing a suspension for something stupid when they got to their last chance.

I don’t think there was a rule about it being in different games but you could only be suspended after your their classifiable offence not just any fine so had to be for like striking and rough conduct not thinks like a melee.

There is no longer a rule for three fines and you get suspended. I assume it was dropped because some Brownlow favourites were getting close to a suspension and missing out or maybe the media getting upset at someone facing a suspension for something stupid when they got to their last chance.

I don’t think there was a rule about it being in different games but you could only be suspended after your their classifiable offence not just any fine so had to be for like striking and rough conduct not thinks like a melee.
I think it was Fyfe being the controversial one? Got up to like his 3rd or 4th potential fine for minor things and lots of media outrage over losing a brownlow over a small indiscretion (completely ignoring the previous ones)

So for example, if you eye gouged, stomped on a player lying on the ground and then charged at someone while their head was over the ball, that would have rubbed you out for a game?

Seems to be a good idea to scrap the rule. We don't want to see players missing for minor indiscression like that.

It’s a funny one, I thought the AFL would’ve looked after GWS a bit better to try hide the fact they’re such a s**t heap. Selwood was never getting games, you’ve got to look after the greats and not the Grubs (Toby).

Tom Hawkins should get suspended for the reason Selwood got off.

Would have preferred Selwood got weeks and Hawkins didn’t but it seems that end result over action is the way it is judged.

Tom Hawkins should get suspended for the reason Selwood got off.

Would have preferred Selwood got weeks and Hawkins didn’t but it seems that end result over action is the way it is judged.

Redman got 1 week for a dangerous tackle on Bont who got up and took his kick. Tribunal lowered it to a fine.

Hawkins drove the head in to the ground. It was clearly dangerous and unlike the panel view was clearly different to the tackle on Duncan in R10.

Last edited:
And then you compare that to the nothing incidents that non-Selwood players get suspended for. This competition is a f**king joke.
People here have memories like goldfish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back