Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I get lazy on the foam roller.....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
I normally do haha... And when I say I'm doing it, I'm still not doing it as much as I should

Also... Got 2 new pairs of shoes this week haha

The tempo next%s in aqua.. Funnily enough I just looked quickly at them and chucked them away when I got them, not at all actually realising just how bright they are.. Really keen to start breaking them in soon.

Also got a pair of the new Boston 10s from TRC Ballarat online, massive change from the 9s, really chunky sole but just putting them on they have that instant comfort I felt so will see how i go with those as well, wondering if I roll out my 18k on Saturday in them or ease them in as well

Good guys there at TRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New shoes I’m loving at the moment:

Asics Novablast 2: really good update from the first model. Bit more stability and a really nice upper

New Balance More v3 - love it more than the 1080 now. Just a big pillow for my feet but with a nice rockered sole

Asics Magic Speed - an unreal workout shoe.

Did a virtual half on the weekend with Run Melbourne cancelled.. Dropped the PB to 1:37:55... Down from 1:40:58 in April, bloody stoked, had only had 5 hours sleep and if I'm being completely honest I wasn't at all interested in doing it..
But feeling good, marathon build coming along well.. Just crossing everything that it goes ahead.. No more outbreaks please!!!

Half PB has gone from 1:58 to 1:37 in 2 years fwiw so really happy with how it's all going

Well done mate, great stuff. Bloody hard getting it done solo after working towards an event.

Since coming back from knee op March last year with a sub 90 HM goal, I've gone 1:23:49 at Sandy Pt in February and then 1:22:53 at Traralgon a few weeks ago. Was really pleased with Traralgon as it didn't feel anywhere near as smooth as Sandy. Track was a narrow and quite rough rail trail, I'm carrying a few extra kgs as the discipline probably wasn't as good leading in and I had a few race day issues like stitch/muscle cramp, dropped gels etc that cost probably 30-60 seconds.

Having one more go at a HM this year to see if I can shave some more. Have entered the Yarra Blvd half mid-late September with the Wonderland 20 at Halls Gap in August as a nice distraction a few weeks prior. With knee/covid will be first time back to WL since 2018 after doing it 3 times in a row prior to that (20/36/20). Love it up there and can't wait. Fingers crossed for lockdowns.

After September I'll probably just run some 5/10 distances and work on finishing the year fresh and fast and then think about whether the body can withstand another full mara build next year.

Ordered a Salomon Adv Skin 5 Set and 1.5l bladder to go with it this morning for longer 90+ minute runs. Whoever said running isn't cheap was bang on, as there's an ever growing list of essentials that are needed.

Last edited:
Running is cheap, all you need is a pair of shoes....

plus a backup pair of shoes, a backup backup pair of shoes, trail shoes, backup trail shoes, multiple pairs of $35 socks, clothing to suit all possible weather conditions, GPS watch, bluetooth headphones, hydration pack, lightweight rainjacket, headtorch, poles, foam roller, weekly physio/osteo/massage appointments and your ready to get out there.

Ordered a Salomon Adv Skin 5 Set and 1.5l bladder to go with it this morning for longer 90+ minute runs. Whoever said running isn't cheap was bang on, as there's an ever growing list of essentials that are needed.
I agree...
I for instance had these "essential" items arrive today :coolv1:

received_2961750067406372.jpeg

Haha woah invincibles!

Let me know how they go. I went down the NB More path

Took them out for 12k this morning and they were good, reckon they'll get better as well.. But bouncy and cushioned.. But don't feel big and clunky

I just got myself a pair of the Infinity Reacts on order. Had been looking at these and the Invincibles but these came up on a great sale at Nike so give them a go.

Just looking at something for everyday running or SLR and they seem to fit the bill.

A friend has a pair of both and has reviewed them both well. Preferred the Invincibles but suggested could run every day in the Infinity.

Pretty keen on some NB 1080 V11s too. Really enjoying my V10s.
Yeah I was tossing up between those and the Nike's... The 1080s have a fluro yellow version as well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

V11 has the same ride as the v10 - just a nicer upper. Basically same as what the Novablast 2 has done. Finally companies listening to consumers and making reasonable changes to shoes.

Last edited:
Couple of running updates:

The bad: I have encountered two instances of runner's toe, on my right foot. One toenail is purple, and the adjacent toe is black. A bit of online research suggests provided it doesn't hurt it's not an issue and will resolve itself over time. Unsure if it's due to my shoes or the fact I've ramped up my running recently, but will find out over the next few weeks. Have been applying tea tree oil to see if it makes a difference.

The good: Realised I'd been under eating for a while and not getting enough calories, which was leading to hitting a bit of a wall in terms of capability. Have upped my calorie intake significantly to ensure I'm functioning at my best and have noticed a huge increase in performance since doing so.

Last edited:
How are we all tracking?
Melbourne Marathon pushed back to 12/12 gives it a chance, I am trying to line my ducks in a row personally with the kids/other halfs work etc to make sure i can get to the start line.. fingers crossed.. And after easing off for a few weeks starting again now with 12 weeks to go, I assume the work I had already done though sets a really good base for it so hopefully happens and all goes well

(Also those invincibles are bloody fantastic, so soft and cushioned, my only worry is they are ruining the feeling of other shoes for me, got a new pair of Brooks Ghosts that feel dead almost, my Tempo Next %s feel great still but they also have a mountain of ZoomX foam in them!)

Did my hamstring a couple of weeks ago, and still two weeks away from being able to run again. Couple that with new medication and I've made the decision to forego the 2021 marathon, with a view to getting stuck into the 2022 one instead.

With that said I'm looking forward to getting back into running 30km a week to maintain a base level of fitness, and also getting into the gym to compliment it.

ugggh literally the moment I posted I think it was almost 100% locked in that I can't make the mara.... shattered at the moment, but just a tale of the s**t show of the last 18 months I guess

ugggh literally the moment I posted I think it was almost 100% locked in that I can't make the mara.... shattered at the moment, but just a tale of the sh*t show of the last 18 months I guess
Anyway... I am now proudly entered in the 2022 Melbourne Marathon...
And I've slept on it and I'm OK, was genuinely concerned about poor sleep messing me up coming into December, which is always hectic.. So I'm OK. Won't be compromised for my first one.

Then subsequently entered 2 runs, one the Bellarine Rail Trail run which is a 34km run, meant as a training run for the Mara, then 2 weeks later doing the Afterglow Trail Run half marathon around Torquay, so starts at 7:45, will be largely during sunset and in darkness with a head torch so something different and hopefully fun

And motivation for me going forward

Not much going on here.... final HM for the year now off and the goal of just focussing on some faster parkrun stuff also got kicked in the ass when parkrun recently got reclassified, meaning we are now off until further notice (I'm ED for my local parkrun).

Basically just jogging along now. Will post between 50-70km weeks and probably maintain 1 workout midweek. Sunday longs will be purely a matter of whether I can be stuffed on the day.

Afterglow is fun by the way. Did it either 2016 or 2017. Really good vibe. Was an absolute stinking day I did it though. Hot, thunderstorms during arvo and killer humidity by time run was on.

Not much going on here.... final HM for the year now off and the goal of just focussing on some faster parkrun stuff also got kicked in the ass when parkrun recently got reclassified, meaning we are now off until further notice (I'm ED for my local parkrun).

Basically just jogging along now. Will post between 50-70km weeks and probably maintain 1 workout midweek. Sunday longs will be purely a matter of whether I can be stuffed on the day.

Afterglow is fun by the way. Did it either 2016 or 2017. Really good vibe. Was an absolute stinking day I did it though. Hot, thunderstorms during arvo and killer humidity by time run was on.
How is it in terms of being a trail run... With me being a non trail runner for my weekly running?

Assuming I need to park the ego a bit and not try smash out a PB..

I've done Afterglow a few times and its a heap of fun if you get into the spirit of the event. As far as the course, its only the first maybe 5kms that are "traily". A few ups and downs, but fairly mild. Once you get to Bells Beach, its gravel path majority of the way to Torquay, with about a km of beach/sand running past the finish line before coming back along a concrete path.

How is it in terms of being a trail run... With me being a non trail runner for my weekly running?

Assuming I need to park the ego a bit and not try smash out a PB..

Certainly not technical at all. No rock hopping or anything like that.

Normal road shoes are fine although I wouldn't wear high stacked tempos lol.

You'll feet it the next few days if you aren't used to trails with the stairs, trails, sand etc but it won't smash you like Wonderland for instance.

I found the trickiest part simply the finish along the beach at Torquay when it's dark. Just need to watch your step along the beach/sand. As long as you have a good head torch you'll be sweet.

I've done Afterglow a few times and its a heap of fun if you get into the spirit of the event. As far as the course, its only the first maybe 5kms that are "traily". A few ups and downs, but fairly mild. Once you get to Bells Beach, its gravel path majority of the way to Torquay, with about a km of beach/sand running past the finish line before coming back along a concrete path.
I ordered a fluro yellow Nike singlet last night and have a pair of new fluro brooks Ghost 14s ready hahahaha, i will get into the spirit, actually figured as well that for once i will not wear headphones, especially as it is getting dark and considering i don't know the course...

Keen though, is really good to have something to look forward to and motivate me

Did my hamstring a couple of weeks ago, and still two weeks away from being able to run again. Couple that with new medication and I've made the decision to forego the 2021 marathon, with a view to getting stuck into the 2022 one instead.

With that said I'm looking forward to getting back into running 30km a week to maintain a base level of fitness, and also getting into the gym to compliment it.
I did my hammie last year and it really showed how my body reacts to things getting older.

Back in the day when I was playing footy after a few weeks I was right to go. It now being that bit older, I really had to take my time to get back to moving properly.

I'd always recommend touching base with a physio early on, helped me work through it and strengthen it again.

Hopefully you have put it past you and back to going well again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back