Best XI of the 1980's (interactive voting thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of votes each for Lawson & Reid so far.

1980's Australia XI (Batting order subject to change)

01 KC Wessels
02 GR Marsh
05 AR Border*
08 GF Lawson
09 B Yardley
10 TM Alderman
11 BA Reid

Alrighty then, let's keep this ball rolling. Time to fill out the next three spots, let's pick two more MIDDLE ORDER BATSMEN & WICKETKEEPER.

kim hughes and wayne phillips.

phillips story is an interesting one:
- first 5 tests as a batsman (marsh's last 5 tests of his career)
- played 18 of his next 19 tests as a keeper (woolley kept in 1 in the WI indies and phillips played as a bat-we may have been short of players for that match ?)
(he did get dropped in this period where rixon shortly played)
- played his last 3 tests as a batsman (start of zoehrer's short career)

01 KC Wessels
02 GR Marsh
05 AR Border*
08 GF Lawson
09 B Yardley
10 TM Alderman
11 BA Reid

Alrighty then, let's keep this ball rolling. Time to fill out the next three spots, let's pick two more MIDDLE ORDER BATSMEN & WICKETKEEPER.
Kim Hughes and Dean Jones the middle order batsmen.
Wicketkeepr, God Help us....Must have been about 4 or 5 between top class keeper Rod Marsh and Ian Healy late in 80's whom will have to consider a 90's guy.
Which leaves us with guys like Wooley I think, Zoehrer (probably the most skilled keeping skills), Greg Dyer, Steve Rixon and Wayne Phillips
Wayne Phillips was an opening batsmen we turned into a keeper. He was adequate only for his keeping but his batting was way better than these others guys but still never made the most of his ability, except in one day side. I'm going Phillips simply to boost our batting.

So Kim Hughes, Dean Jones and Wayne Phillips

Last edited:

01 KC Wessels
02 GR Marsh
05 AR Border*
08 GF Lawson
09 B Yardley
10 TM Alderman
11 BA Reid

As hard as you've tried to sabotage this side, that's still a solid bowling attack

I would have selected Lawson and Reid but I was busy all day yesterday.
Jones and Hughes as batsmen and Phillip's as the keeper because the team will need all the batting they can get.
I will be pretty busy tomorrow so I nominate Greg Matthews as the all rounder and I'd have him bat ahead of Phillips.

I'll also be having my final vote go Greg Mathews way. But was not a fan of Phillips in lower order as batsmen. Think we could make more of him closer to where he came into side. He was an opener. Let's go left field and make him close to that at first drop so none of Hughes, Jones or Border have to bat 3. Then make Mathews bat number 7.

Wessels
Marsh
Phillips
Hughes
Jones
Border
Matthews
Lawson
Yardley
Alderman
Reid
12th man Yallop

1980's Australia XI

01 KC Wessels
02 GR Marsh
03 KJ Hughes
04 DM Jones
05 AR Border*
06 GRJ Matthews
07 WB Phillips+
08 GF Lawson
09 B Yardley
10 TM Alderman
11 BA Reid

Whew, that was a slog. Thanks for continuing this with me lads. Turned out to be a side which just about selected itself, figured it would have been a bit more contested than that (was looking forward to a big battle between Hughes, McDermott, Hogg, Reid, Lawson, Rackemann & Alderman) but it turns out I didn't do my research properly beforehand lol.

Either way, as bad as it got for the Aussies, this side on its own is quite solid. If you pop Boony, Steve Waugh, Chappelli, DK & Marsh in there it becomes world class.

I’m a bit late to the party here but as the 9th highest scoring opener in the 80s across the world, and with a significantly better average than any other Australian, is there a reason David Clarence got left out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a bit late to the party here but as the 9th highest scoring opener in the 80s across the world, and with a significantly better average than any other Australian, is there a reason David Clarence got left out?
Played the majority of his career in the 90's. If anything it's my bad.

Played the majority of his career in the 90's. If anything it's my bad.

He did but his most productive period average wise was the 80s and he played 10 more tests as an opener than wessels. Seems a bit strange. Especially has there were to distinct halves of his career when he went from opening to 3.

He did but his most productive period average wise was the 80s and he played 10 more tests as an opener than wessels. Seems a bit strange. Especially has there were to distinct halves of his career when he went from opening to 3.

Using the same method to disqualify Boon from the 80’s would mean that Langer would qualify for the 90’s, not the 2000’s?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Using the same method to disqualify Boon from the 80’s would mean that Langer would qualify for the 90’s, not the 2000’s?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he fitted the bill as the best option, perhaps. Not a likely scenario though as he was mediocre in the 90s and there were a dozen better batsmen than him in that period. There were no better openers in the 80s who played anything more than a handful of matches than boon

how so - langer played most of his test career in the 00's
Fairly sure he started in 1993.
One of the most exciting finishes to a Test ever.
Think he made a half century in that Test on debut.
Think we lost by a run.
Border went beserk in dressing room.
McDermott and May the last wicket partnership and I think McDermott was given out caught behind off Walsh.
Not sure if it hit his hand, arm, elbow or bat.
Either way, was cruel way to go.

Think we lost by a run.
McDermott and May the last wicket partnership and I think McDermott was given out caught behind off Walsh.

yeah he did start in 93....... then hardly played a test until 1997

think you will find he played first 40 or so tests as a #3 on then on ashes tour 2001 played his last 60+ tests as an opener

Think we lost by a run.
I am sure that the ball didn't hit McDermott's bat. Just like 12 years later at Edgbaston when we lost by 1 run I am sure that the ball didn't hit Michael Kasprowicz's bat either when given out caught behind off Flintoff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back