ATP Nick Kyrgios

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Thought the guy could use a brand new thread, as there was a lot of discussion on him in the Wimbledon thread. And he does create discussion wherever he goes.

His 3rd round match will be a big drawcard for Nine if Wimbledon Schedule it nicely for us Aussies. Which, btw, I doubt. he will get a main court and start at like 10pm. His mixed with Venus tonight is TBD...ala Murray and Serena 2 years ago. A showpiece drawcard. Not bad for a 60th ranked player(and an 7 time Grand Slam Winner)

Plus, I think his recent quotes are very interesting. The guy has been on fire in press conferences.

Kyrgios: I'm ok with not winning Grand Slams. I know that's going to make a lot of people angry. He should be doing this. But I shouldn't though. It's not your life, it's mine. I'm ok with just enjoying myself, putting on a show. Not everyone can be a Federer or Djokovic...

These are once-in-a-decade athletes that inspire millions of people. They're just gods. I see them as that, too. You have to have some people, I believe, that are relatable, that people can bring other fans to watch, people that are just normal. I feel I'm 1 of those ppl

(from https://twitter.com/ReemAbulleil, quotes might have been paraphrased)

personally, I am okay with that. I have consistently changed my opinion on Nick. Sometimes I defend him, others times I resent him. But, overall, I don't mind him. He is fun to watch and I think he is as real as you can get, It is not some act. I get why people dislike him regrading the disrespect he does show to officials/ballkids and even tennis players. It rubs me the wrong way as well but I just see it as him getting frustrated easily. As for the wasted talent...prefer him enjoying life and tennis being a "part time" tennis player than someone like Agassi who had so many issues regarding his tennis life.

Probably the one guy who can keep Tennis in the spotlight post Fed/Nadal/ Djokovic.

Incredible talent and equally good entertainer.

I recently watched a replay of Nick playing Dustin Brown. It's just highlights so doesn't take too much time if you've got it to spare. It had the commentators genuinely laughing.

Like watching him and sorry he’s out of it now. He make it more interesting.

I suspect Kyrgios will not fully commit himself to tennis for one or two years because of the fear of failure. To do this he would need to set targets which he may not reach - As it stands now he can play without expectations.

Nick won't be playing at the Olympics

I think athletes should understand during a pandemic it's going to be difficult to allow full crowd capacity
Bit of a surprise. He always talked how much he wanted to be an Olympian. bubble life is really not his thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a gross answer by Nick. Seriously he hasn't grown up at all.
a good delete by someone.

1 point to Ruud.

For context in case people dont know, Nick has been complaining bout the number of clay tournaments around this time of year. Doesnt see the point of playing clay outside clay season.

On top of that, Ruud and Nick has had beef a couple of years ago as well. Can't exactly remember the context of that one.

I know that Nick was complaining about clay tournaments but at least players have tournaments to play plus there were not any hard court events in the US.

I really want to rant but I won't

His ranking has tumbled into the 80's - He needs to win matches or he will not qualify for direct entry into the 2022 Oz Open in the Middle East.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back