Post Covid Australia - When do we open up and what does it look like?

When should we return to 'normal'

• Now

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • When we have vexed 80% of the population

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • When we have vexed 95-100% of the population

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Specified date in 2022

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Never

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Find it ridiculous that more pressure isn't put on the feds to provide a more concrete opening plan, including dates.

With current and improving supply of Vaccines, i think January 1 2022 provides a more than reasonable opportunity for each individual to have a chance to get 2 vaccines resulting in a level of protection.

From here i would argue we should f*ck off the state borders and limit restrictions i.e. % of people at sporting events, restaurants etc.

Then, from March 1 2021 international borders should be opened up with no quarantine for fully vaxxed people, and 14 days for those who aren't.

Lockdowns have worked well in Aus, but they were always there to 'manage' the virus and 'flatten' its rise. The current lockdowns serve their purpose in minimising risk to unvaccinated, however, not that we have a way out, it really needs to be riterated that it is a temporary measure.

I can't fathom the thought of a third year where things are at a point where i am unable to plan organise my week with a level of confidence.

80% vax rate, vaccine passports for large gatherings, dedicated quarantine facilities
That will be the closest to 'normal' we will get to and in time we will learn to live with it

International travel will open up slowly on a 'bubble' basis e.g. NZ first, pacific islands second, etc. In time a covid jab will be seen as pretty standard, like getting the Yellow fever jab for African travel (nb: it's a requirement for return to Australia, not for entry to most African nations).

If 80% have been vaxed, then 20% are unvaxed. I don't see the CHOs easing up under that scenario unless Covid becomes endemic.

why should we wait for people who don't want to get vaxxed or just procrastinating?

It will be 80% of adults, then the spread figures will still result in deaths and the population will still believe that every covid death is preventable, so they will say that unless we can also vaccinate 80% of children it won't fly - but they also won't vaccinate children.

This is actually where NSW does a big service to Australia. They get to 80% vaccinated and then drop the restrictions but the rest of Australia keep the borders up. It spreads like mad in NSW but their hospitals aren't over run.

Then we get to see how not worried we should be about it, we no longer care about big case numbers - and can get on with it.

80% vax rate, vaccine passports for large gatherings, dedicated quarantine facilities
That will be the closest to 'normal' we will get to and in time we will learn to live with it

International travel will open up slowly on a 'bubble' basis e.g. NZ first, pacific islands second, etc. In time a covid jab will be seen as pretty standard, like getting the Yellow fever jab for African travel (nb: it's a requirement for return to Australia, not for entry to most African nations).

no vaccine passports please

this crazy fear is not logical. one can catch covid off a vaccinated person as well as an un-vaccinated. further if you are vaccinated what is the issue?

discrimination comes in many forms and this is an ugly one.

should we ban irrational fear?

It will be 80% of adults, then the spread figures will still result in deaths and the population will still believe that every covid death is preventable, so they will say that unless we can also vaccinate 80% of children it won't fly - but they also won't vaccinate children.

This is actually where NSW does a big service to Australia. They get to 80% vaccinated and then drop the restrictions but the rest of Australia keep the borders up. It spreads like mad in NSW but their hospitals aren't over run.

Then we get to see how not worried we should be about it, we no longer care about big case numbers - and can get on with it.
In time they will, once there is approval. It's just a question of how young that goes. Currently Pfizer is approved down to 12 (I don't think Moderna is as I don't think Moderna's completed phase 3 clinical trials have extended as young as Pfizer's) so what is the next mark? 8? 5? 2?

I am keenly interested in how this plays out as I have a two year old myself.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Has to be 80% of the Australian population.

Then:

Mandatory QR Codes across the country, run from the federal sphere not the state sphere. Let's face it, that's how the CovidSafe app should operate. Which it clearly isn't.

Those who are vaccinated get first priority in any situation.

In time they will, once there is approval. It's just a question of how young that goes. Currently Pfizer is approved down to 12 (I don't think Moderna is as I don't think Moderna's completed phase 3 clinical trials have extended as young as Pfizer's) so what is the next mark? 8? 5? 2?

I am keenly interested in how this play out as I have a two year old myself.
I think this line of thought takes us back to the primary issue, which is that adults should have the chance to get vaccinated and then once that period of time has elapsed those that have made the choice not to are exposed to the community not having restrictions anymore.

Because children aren't at risk with this virus, vaccinating them is for the protection of mostly the over 80s. Exposing them to as yet unknown effects of the vaccine would be introducing a risk above that of covid to them, and if we are leaning on the children to do their part to protect adults who have chosen to not get vaccinated then we have it arse backwards.

Obviously there are adults who can't get vaccinated, but this is not a general case.

why should we wait for people who don't want to get vaxxed or just procrastinating?
Currently children fit into neither of those categories and them becoming part of the vaccinated cohort depends entirely on something genuinely still out of our control - the results of clinical trials in younger children.

This is why it's not easy to put a hard date on it.

I think this line of thought takes us back to the primary issue, which is that adults should have the chance to get vaccinated and then once that period of time has elapsed those that have made the choice not to are exposed to the community not having restrictions anymore.

Because children aren't at risk with this virus, vaccinating them is for the protection of mostly the over 80s. Exposing them to as yet unknown effects of the vaccine would be introducing a risk above that of covid to them, and if we are leaning on the children to do their part to protect adults who have chosen to not get vaccinated then we have it arse backwards.

Obviously there are adults who can't get vaccinated, but this is not a general case.
Roughly 4000 children in Brazil have died of it. The idea it's never dangerous for children is false and needs to be done away with.

Yes, they are the lowest risk, but it's not necessarily always just a cold for them either.

Roughly 4000 children in Brazil have died of it. The idea it's never dangerous for children is false and needs to be done away with.

Yes, they are the lowest risk, but it's not necessarily always just a cold for them either.

Let's not pretend that Australia is Brazil.

If you look at the US numbers and remove the children suffering serious medical conditions you're left at practically zero.

this crazy fear is not logical. one can catch covid off a vaccinated person as well as an un-vaccinated. further if you are vaccinated what is the issue?

It's already happening in many parts of the world, proof of vaccination being required to attend large events.
Your second line has been covered ad nauseum in anti-vax rebuttals.

The discrimination argument doesn't make sense. If people have the choice to vaccinate and don't they are free to do so, and free to live with the consequences. That's not discrimination, that's consequence.

Listening to health experts is not 'irrational fear'.

If you look at the US numbers and remove the children suffering serious medical conditions you're left at practically zero.
I'm not just talking about deaths. Long Covid is a serious consideration that must be taken into account too.

It's already happening in many parts of the world, proof of vaccination being required to attend large events.
Your second line has been covered ad nauseum in anti-vax rebuttals.

The discrimination argument doesn't make sense. If people have the choice to vaccinate and don't they are free to do so, and free to live with the consequences. That's not discrimination, that's consequence.

Listening to health experts is not 'irrational fear'.

I'm already vaxxed and pro vaxxed

but the consequence you refer to is not consequence. It is discrimination.

it like blaming the muslims for the crusades as it was consequence of their belief. We didn't want to kill you, but you left us no choice with that Mohammad nonsense!

Actually it is irrational fear. As if you are vaccinated, then what are you worried about?

More people have died in the UK from pneumonia and influenza in the last 6 months than covid. Are you suggesting we lock down for these diseases as well? should we have passports for these?

Currently children fit into neither of those categories and them becoming part of the vaccinated cohort depends entirely on something genuinely still out of our control - the results of clinical trials in younger children.

This is why it's not easy to put a hard date on it.

covid is a non-event for kids on a statistical basis

we are better off banning macdonald's and alcohol, to prevent these kids slipping into covid risk categories of hypertension, heart disease and diabetes in the future.

The reality is a post covid world will look like what the electorate wants

If we want to round up jews, it will look like that
If we want to be considerate, measured and an open society, it will look like that

Society and government reflects the under tones of the electorate

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Vaccine Passports have been commonplace for years. If you've been to South America you've likely needed to prove you have had the yellow fever vaccine.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

100% agree. Even with our shambolic rollout, the government has provided those 60+ a more than ample opportunity to be vaxxed and from all accounts arent anywhere ear 80%

Maintain a line in the sand has to be drawn on this issue.

Vaccine Passports have been commonplace for years. If you've been to South America you've likely needed to prove you have had the yellow fever vaccine.

if you read above, people are calling for passports to travel domestic and to attend large gatherings

this concept is completely new and a complete over reaction

That cause it is the lambda strain which has increased severity in kids. Also seems more resistant to vaccines. Hopefully it either gets overtaken by delta or by the time it spreads we have all had the chance to be vaccinated

That cause it is the lambda strain which has increased severity in kids. Also seems more resistant to vaccines. Hopefully it either gets overtaken by delta or by the time it spreads we have all had the chance to be vaccinated
Nah Brazil's dominant strain is Gamma. Lambda has become more dominant west of the Andes and in Argentina.

Back