FTA-TV Footy Classified

Remove this Banner Ad

Where was Hardwick sarcastic?

Many years ago Frank Sinatra made a famous observation about Australian journalists and Caro entered that territory when she speculated about Hardwick’s private life without knowing the facts.

I said Hardwick was snarky which by definition is critical or mocking in an indirect or sarcastic way. Was Hardwick not that in the clips shown?

Is hardwick's job requirement at a presser to answer questions or attack the person asking?

I said Hardwick was snarky which by definition is critical or mocking in an indirect or sarcastic way. Was Hardwick not that in the clips shown?

Is hardwick's job requirement at a presser to answer questions or attack the person asking?

Yep he's snarky. The club's copped a battering from the media for more than a year. The one thing they got right is that he needs a holiday.

If journo's are going to hide behind the comments of others, why didn't any of them raise Brown's accusation that the AFL brought in the stand rule to stop Richmond? Gutless, that's why.

AFL media isn't worth a pinch of s**t.

Yep he's snarky. The club's copped a battering from the media for more than a year. The one thing they got right is that he needs a holiday.

If journo's are going to hide behind the comments of others, why didn't any of them raise Brown's accusation that the AFL brought in the stand rule to stop Richmond? Gutless, that's why.

AFL media isn't worth a pinch of sh*t.

Don't you think that given Richmond's performance this year questions should be asked?

I'd say Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon, GWS, North Melbourne have copped far more flack this year

Don't you think that given Richmond's performance this year questions should be asked?

I'd say Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon, GWS, North Melbourne have copped far more flack this year

Not talking about performance, it's fair game in full context (i.e. including rule changes).

There was a concerted campaign last year to derail the club with s**t like this.

Richmond’s Tom Lynch is the AFL’s dirtiest player

Where is the same for Joel Selwood??

Dozens upon dozens of other bullshit articles and incidents like that utensil sucker Hugh Riminton ambushing Hardwick. Why should the coaches be subjected to these jokers?

Anyway back to Footy Certified.

Complete silence on Troy Selwood coming and going as Collingwood list manager/recruiter in the space of six weeks. Where is the objective coverage, or has McGuire forbidden discussion?

Complete silence on Troy Selwood coming and going as Collingwood list manager/recruiter in the space of six weeks. Where is the objective coverage, or has McGuire forbidden discussion?
Collingwood have had a fair bit of bad coverage already this year. Given that was for health reasons people are probably more careful on that

Collingwood have had a fair bit of bad coverage already this year. Given that was for health reasons people are probably more careful on that

The club never even issued a statement, even their own supporters have no idea what it's about beyond the vague "health reasons". Bit of investigation given their current troubles in this space wouldn't go astray.

The club never even issued a statement, even their own supporters have no idea what it's about beyond the vague "health reasons". Bit of investigation given their current troubles in this space wouldn't go astray.
You’d be a chance for Monday’s edition, dreaming for Wednesday’s edition.

You'd think any respected journo would've asked the question.

The fact that the details surrounding it are as in the dark as those surrounding robbo's disappearance would suggest it is indeed something real and serious.

The fact that the details surrounding it are as in the dark as those surrounding robbo's disappearance would suggest it is indeed something real and serious.

They said "He'll be watching this eating his soup" last night so the heart attack rumour may be correct.

Why should someone’s health issues be open slather for sports journalists and nosey posters on BF? Could very well be something that Selwood wishes to keep private for good reason.

Also you’re off the mark as far as Collingwood and their press coverage. If any club or player is guaranteed to get maximum, usually adverse press coverage if someone as much as farts, then it’s Collingwood.

Why should someone’s health issues be open slather for sports journalists and nosey posters on BF? Could very well be something that Selwood wishes to keep private for good reason.

Also you’re off the mark as far as Collingwood and their press coverage. If any club or player is guaranteed to get maximum, usually adverse press coverage if someone as much as farts, then it’s Collingwood.

You don't think it's odd that the club hasn't issued a statement regarding a role that is integral to Collingwood getting back on the rails? You don't think there's any possibility that the club is covering up some sort of drama?

All it needs is a short sentence to confirm, there's no call to invade Selwood's privacy. Ignoring it just makes people wonder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been meaning to write this for ages: (ha) in my opinion, among the ex-players in the media, Lloyd has probably been the biggest pleasant surprise. In fact, it's more like shock. :roflv1: I also didn't like him much when he was playing. He sounded a bit dopey (still does a bit), had a permanent dead fish facial expression, and most of all, it shitted me how much he fell over after taking marks -- oh yeah, and his infamous diving 'period'.

Unlike most ex-players, he didn't spend the first five years of his media career sitting on the fence, and he seems to really do his homework on all the players and stats, etc, which can't be said for all of them. I thought he was first employed by Ch 9 for eye candy, but I was wrong

Agree, he wasn't great when he started and TBH he lived a pretty narrowly focused life when playing. But he gets better each year, he does his homework, he speaks when he has something to say and is one of the few who are quite good at what they do in the footy media.

McGuire talking about racism…….hilarious….

Does this guy ever shut up?

When he started making excuses for Walker's video saying he was tired and not in the right mental space to face 'a stoning' from reporters, I threw up.

Hey Ed, Walker is not the victim here. Take your ex-club President used to damage control hat off and put your ex-Channel 10 sports reporter hat back on. If you were a reporter you would have been screaming to get your microphone and a camera in front of Walker rather than a heavily scripted, edited video.

Above all of this the absolute hypocrisy of McGuire thinking he can be involved in any discussion on racism just blows my mind. The sooner he toddles off into the sunset, the better.

When he started making excuses for Walker's video saying he was tired and not in the right mental space to face 'a stoning' from reporters, I threw up.

Hey Ed, Walker is not the victim here. Take your ex-club President used to damage control hat off and put your ex-Channel 10 sports reporter hat back on. If you were a reporter you would have been screaming to get your microphone and a camera in front of Walker rather than a heavily scripted, edited video.

Above all of this the absolute hypocrisy of McGuire thinking he can be involved in any discussion on racism just blows my mind. The sooner he toddles off into the sunset, the better.

My thoughts too

Eddie making that Taylor Walker is the victim in all this and in a fragile mental state. Really, that ill conceived and tone deaf Public Relations video Adelaide dished up just added to the pile on

Here is a full transcript pulled from foxsports

FULL TRANSCRIPT

Caroline Wilson: He did portray himself as a bit of a victim. I didn’t like that video the other night - I think he should have fronted the media. The victims here are the four Adelaide Crows players who have to front up at work day in, day out and of course Robbie Young. This contrived bit at the beginning, I was really disappointed they left it in there.

Eddie McGuire: I don’t think that was contrived. If you were shooting that ... you roll that all day.

CW: There were a lot of divisions even as high as the club and the wider football community about whether that should have gone to air.

EM: Tex didn’t necessarily want to do that because he was so exhausted, hasn’t slept, wasn’t in the mental state to get up and have a public stoning by reporters. I got everything I needed to get out of that.

CW: He wasn’t going to get a public stoning Ed...

EM: In front of the media!?

CW: You’re making it sound like he’s the victim here - he’s the perpetrator, he’s caused untold pain and heartbreak...

EM: No, you do this every time, you make it someone else’s problem. We’re discussing how this was done - we all understand that he has done everything wrong in this situation. We’re looking at the next stage. Whether or not he should’ve got harsher penalties is by the by, but he has a life sentence from this now and so he should. He will recover, hopefully, or he doesn’t and that will be his legacy one way or the other. But for him to be put in front of a media conference on Monday, he was not mentally prepared or able to do it.

CW: I understand that, but I wouldn’t have done a scripted video, I would’ve waited until I could face the music.

EM: The club needed to do something and I looked at that and I thought well, I see he is sincere. He has apologised in front of the cameras to the person who was the major person.

Ross Lyon: Do you not think Tex is injured as well?

CW: Of course he is...

RL: Everyone’s injured in this. I don’t see the benefit in injuring people more.

CW: But I’m a lot more sympathetic to the person that’s been injured (Young).

RL: Don’t we judge him going forward now?

CW: I just keep thinking watching that, how does the rest of Australia feel? How do Indigenous Australians feel when here’s a bloke who is a leader in society, former club captain, he has been educated for 15 years. How are normal Australians going to be in terms of racism if they have to cop that from someone who’s been taught for 10-15 years about how to behave.

RL: No one is condoning him. I’m not condoning him. I don’t know how he can go back and lead the Indigenous players that are there for Adelaide because that wound will be there forever.

EM: It was a horrible moment of madness. You said he read a script - Barack Obama is the best person on his feet that I‘ve seen in the last 50 years and he reads off an autocue. You can’t go into those situations ... I’ll tell you what happens: If you apologise, it’s all spin. If you don’t apologise, then you’re recalcitrant. If you apologise too much, then you’re adding mayonnaise to it. There is no answer to this. Trust me about getting up and trying to do the right thing in a press conference and people taking it the wrong way. You said something once where people jumped all over you about disabled athletes. Anyone with any brain could see what you were trying to say and it wasn’t malicious, but you copped a kicking on it. You can sometimes say things where the words come out - it happened with me with Adam Goodes...

CW: You cannot compare ... what Taylor Walker has done here leaves him not a victim in any way.

EM: This is where compassion and empathy comes into it. It’s about what he does now. No one’s making excuses for him, he did a horrible thing and he’s paying the penalty. But you can’t pick and choose on these things. People do make mistakes. As Ross said, it’s what happens from here. And you know what, maybe the Indigenous community and his teammates just say we’ve had enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back