2021 Injuries

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
IMG_2381.png

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Jacob Hopper has been cleared of structural damage after being concussed during an attempted smother against Port Adelaide.

GWS confirmed later on Sunday night that Hopper had been cleared of any structural damage to his neck and jaw, and was being monitored in hospital.

"Clearly he's concussed. He's gone off to hospital just to check out how bad it is but we'll just have to wait and see over the coming days," coach Leon Cameron said after the match.

"He was a bit groggy, that's why we went with the precautions. The doc has been great, the club has handled it really well.

"He'll just get checked out and see how he progresses over the coming days."

The Hobo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Has there been any updates on Hopper? Can't seem to find much online apart from the above. Fingers crossed he's ok, absolute star.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
TOJ is a microcosm of our insane 2021 season.

Inexplicably not selected in the opening rounds as we screamed out for a KPF.

A match winner on multiple locations as soon as he appeared. Frustrating on occasion.

Then the club just casually mentions his season is over.

Surreal situation.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
So the Swans currently have 2 on their injury list. 1 of which is a test. Have the Giants ever had 2 on their injury list in the last 5 years?
It is so frustrating how often we have soft tissue injuries. Look how many young players on our list have had soft tissue injuries over the past few years. Something is horribly wrong with our fitness/strength program, medical staff and probably some part to do with the coaching and game plan (trying to play a contested game and hence have bigger bodies doing a lot of running).

We need a overhaul of the whole damn club.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
So the Swans currently have 2 on their injury list. 1 of which is a test. Have the Giants ever had 2 on their injury list in the last 5 years?
It is so frustrating how often we have soft tissue injuries. Look how many young players on our list have had soft tissue injuries over the past few years. Something is horribly wrong with our fitness/strength program, medical staff and probably some part to do with the coaching and game plan (trying to play a contested game and hence have bigger bodies doing a lot of running).

This has been a systematic problem for more than half a decade.

Caro’s written in the past about the CEO trying to tag Wayne Campbell as the sole problem, but the problem existed both before and after WC’s tenure.

Leon is accountable for W/L performance, but IMO he’s been very poorly served by the CEO’s failed hiring decisions re Medical/Conditioning.

'51 Bewick

Club Legend
Feb 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks
Hi folks,
Is Braydon Preuss still a first choice Ruck for 2022, or have the young blokes passed him?
Just asking as I have him in a keeper league.
Cheers.

Hi folks,
Is Braydon Preuss still a first choice Ruck for 2022, or have the young blokes passed him?
Just asking as I have him in a keeper league.
Cheers.
I don't think we've worked out where they stand yet.
I'd think Briggs, Preuss and Flynn will start preseason with a clean slate.

I don't think we've worked out where they stand yet.
I'd think Briggs, Preuss and Flynn will start preseason with a clean slate.
And whoever is still standing at the end of preseason gets the gig until they get injured.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

Yes the game plan is definitely a factor in the injury list... and things list contact injuries etc cannot be helped.... but my god the soft tissue injuries we have had are ridiculous.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Yes the game plan is definitely a factor in the injury list... and things list contact injuries etc cannot be helped.... but my god the soft tissue injuries we have had are ridiculous.
Here is a question for you. Can you name one player in the 4 years that we drafted that hasn't has a soft tissue injury?

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
17 different Giants this year by my count who have suffered soft tissue injuries:

Preuss
Kennedy
Reid
Brown
De Boer
Davis
Daniels
Green
Angwin
Stone
Hutchesson
Hogan
Perryman
Fleeton
Bruhn
Haynes
Lloyd

And this doesn't include re-injuries (Daniels x3, Hutchesson x28 etc). Nor those injured in pre-season.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
17 different Giants this year by my count who have suffered soft tissue injuries:

Preuss
Kennedy
Reid
Brown
De Boer
Davis
Daniels
Green
Angwin
Stone
Hutchesson
Hogan
Perryman
Fleeton
Bruhn
Haynes
Lloyd

And this doesn't include re-injuries (Daniels x3, Hutchesson x28 etc). Nor those injured in pre-season.

Exactly! Look how many of those are young players as well. I wondering how many of those players ever had a soft tissue injury before they got drafted?

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Look soft tissue injuries happen. We can’t expect not to have them…

but the regularity we seem to have them at feels higher than the league average

If I get time I'll hunt down the Melbourne and Brisbane numbers by way of comparison
We used to have insane numbers and they'd persist for twice as long as initially estimated.

Brought in Burton, he definitely improved matters but still had fairly common issues.

Griffiths took over (went to Melbourne last off-season) and we've had next to none.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels

Preuss
Kennedy
Reid
Brown
De Boer
Davis
Daniels
Green
Angwin
Stone
Hutchesson
Hogan
Perryman
Fleeton
Bruhn
Haynes
Lloyd

Buntine with a quad to make it 18.

I guess it could be a corked quad though so shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Back