AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW Guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

If you’re good enough to play for Port, you’re good enough to wear our jumper. I expect our women to aspire play to the same standards as the men in terms of skill, which has nothing to do with physicality or fitness.

1628825980109.gif

Changing the guernsey because they're women is complete horseshit.

Meh, for me its less "changing the guernsey because they're women", and more just accepting that they (the aflw team and Port aflw leaders) might want changes to the guernsey and being ok with that as long as it fits the overall Port Adelaide branding strategy, in the same way as the men have played in different designs at different times, home and away, and in different competitions ie SANFL vs AFL.

Meh, for me its less "changing the guernsey because they're women", and more just accepting that they (the aflw team and Port aflw leaders) might want changes to the guernsey and being ok with that as long as it fits the overall Port Adelaide branding strategy, in the same way as the men have played in different designs at different times, home and away, and in different competitions ie SANFL vs AFL.

So it's just a coincidence that they're adding magenta to the women's guernsey?
Why not add it to the mens as well then?

I mean, it's obviously our 'branding strategy'.

Last edited:
Are they? I don't think its likely unless I've missed something?

There's plenty of evidence to suggest that is what they're planning.

The tweet from Rucci was probably the biggest one.

There's plenty of evidence to suggest that is what they're planning.

The tweet from Rucci was probably the biggest one.
Ah right, yeah I missed that. All I saw was the "minor modification" comment.

I guess the way I look at it, I think the best option would be the modified chevron one, but if they do go with that predominantly teal option (the pre-season 2016 kit), or add some magenta or light blue which are colors that have been used in the past, or even strip it back to our core colours of black and white, then I'm ok with it. The AFLW team will be Port Adelaide but it doesn't mean that they have to be exactly the same in every single way as the mens, there has to be a level of self-determination from those leading it.

Edit to add: If we did play in the bars as our primary jumper across the SANFL and AFL I would probably feel quite differently about the above.

Last edited:
Save the magenta for Pride Round (too much rainbow = clashes galore).

One thing you can count on is there'll be a Prison Bars jumper for either the first game or first Showdown with names of foundation members on it, or something like that.

As far as the main jumper, I think Rucci is guessing like everybody else. It might just be shallower chevrons and coloured shoulder panels, which is perhaps a big enough difference to warrant a mention while still fitting Matthew Richardson's description of a "slight" change. Here's a rough re-colour of a Melbourne AFLW jumper to give an idea:

portaflw.jpg

One thing you can count on is there'll be a Prison Bars jumper for either the first game or first Showdown with names of foundation members on it, or something like that.

As far as the main jumper, I think Rucci is guessing like everybody else. It might just be shallower chevrons and coloured shoulder panels, which is perhaps a big enough difference to warrant a mention while still fitting Matthew Richardson's description of a "slight" change. Here's a rough re-colour of a Melbourne AFLW jumper to give an idea:

View attachment 1204591

OK. I'm sold....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will not be adding magenta, wont happen.
We already have a pastel colour in teal, a slight amplification of that would be enough IF they wanted to 'feminise' the guernsey.

The change will be in shape and form though, which may necessitate a little more teal.

View attachment 1204591
Why are there shoulder panels?

Why are there shoulder panels?
Cotton On designed the jumpers for summer conditions, theoretically the mesh shoulder panels make it more breathable/lightweight.

Teams have gone various routes with the colours and piping, notably the Bulldogs have always made theirs red even though the rest of the jumper is pretty much identical to the men's.

I am in the minority on this board but I really liked the chevrons on the teal base and I think it would be a good marketing strategy to use that as the AFLW home guernsey with black shorts.

I get what others are saying re: consolidating the branding but given that it was used in the past for the men's team I dont think it would muddy the waters too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back