Footscray VFL 2021

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Surely there must be a rule that the game must go a certain length of time to be called an official game.

In baseball it's 5 innings or in the case of a timed game it's 65 minutes.

In local footy at least, for a result, the first half must have been completed.

That's ludicrous if they call that 9 minutes of footy as a result.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t think as many clubs are into West as some of us think. Has yet to break out at senior level at all, I don’t think he is going anywhere.

doggy_dog

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just realised that our closest rivals in the vfl, Southport, were the victims of one of the most ludicrous calls I've seen today.

After 9 minutes of play, they were called the loser against GCS, 1.2 to 1.0 when the game was abandoned due to the lockdown.

I suppose that's good for us and the comp has to do what it can to keep things rolling, but what a howler to call that a final result.
Is that actually the offical result? I saw the VFL app showed a GC win but I just assumed it would either be replayed at some stage or called a draw

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretty crazy that in the past two games, Footscray has gone down 42-6 and 40-1 after the first quarter, yet won both games.

In both games, we held the Swans and Dees to less goals in the last 3 quarters than they kicked in the first quarter (Swans: 6 goal first quarter, 5 in the last three. Dees: 6 goal first quarter, 4 in the last three). Both games required 6 goal quarters to peg it back, but some remarkable defensive grit shown in that regard.

Pretty crazy that in the past two games, Footscray has gone down 42-6 and 40-1 after the first quarter, yet won both games.

In both games, we held the Swans and Dees to less goals in the last 3 quarters than they kicked in the first quarter (Swans: 6 goal first quarter, 5 in the last three. Dees: 6 goal first quarter, 4 in the last three). Both games required 6 goal quarters to peg it back, but some remarkable defensive grit shown in that regard.
Not to mention self-belief. And I'd guess some good leadership and coaching too.

I don’t think as many clubs are into West as some of us think. Has yet to break out at senior level at all, I don’t think he is going anywhere.
He's shown enough to draw interest. He's harder at it than the average footballer and has had some very good vfl form.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Buku coming along quite nicely. Every time I see him play he seems to get better. Love his confidence in flying for marks. Also, Reuben William looks like a great team man. Very bubbly character who always looks stoked to be out there. Has a booming kick too.

doggy_dog

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For those who were watching, how did you see Sweet’s game? I see he cleaned up in the HO’s

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watched the game - he was dominant but didn't look positive - was not playing against a known opponent and was flat around the ground. Shows where stats don't tell the whole story - he has played much better games where the stats say he was flogged.

I feel for the guy - has absolutely improved and with Martin down would have hoped for some game time to develop at AFL level.

It's appropriate to pay genuine homage to our VFL coach Stewart Edge. Stewart has been with us for a long time in various roles and has had a long pedigree in all aspects of coaching and team management. This is his first year as a senior coach at such a high level. And what an excellent job he is doing.
Obviously there is great synergy between the playing styles of both our senior and VFL teams particularly in a game based on high pressure and quick ball movement. It doesn't seem to matter what players are available for Edge, he is consistently able to deliver the right messages that keep the team operating to high standards.
As shown in recent matches, the team has a strong belief and never say die attitude and this must surely be a big part of his coaching.
The season is yet to play out but it might just be that Edge delivers the perfect score of not a single loss before another VFL flag comes our way.

It's appropriate to pay genuine homage to our VFL coach Stewart Edge. Stewart has been with us for a long time in various roles and has had a long pedigree in all aspects of coaching and team management. This is his first year as a senior coach at such a high level. And what an excellent job he is doing.
Obviously there is great synergy between the playing styles of both our senior and VFL teams particularly in a game based on high pressure and quick ball movement. It doesn't seem to matter what players are available for Edge, he is consistently able to deliver the right messages that keep the team operating to high standards.
As shown in recent matches, the team has a strong belief and never say die attitude and this must surely be a big part of his coaching.
The season is yet to play out but it might just be that Edge delivers the perfect score of not a single loss before another VFL flag comes our way.

Great call. More broadly, and I’ve been thinking about creating my very first topic on the matter, it’s time to pay tribute to the football program. Dalrymple and Power deservedly get a lot of credit, but the football program has seen our men’s program deliver consistently strong results in the Bevo era. For all the angst about when guys like Marra debut, dogs fans have seen the way boys like Caleb, Bailey Dale, Bailey Williams, Ed Richards, Toby and many more lower picks have grown as footballers steadily over time until they’re strong contributors to the best team in the land as of round 20. I really think we need to view the patience with Cody and JUH through that lense. There is a bulldog way, and when you prove it over a number of weeks at a level, and when a spot opens, you get a game. Until such time, keep going. It’s why I still have hope for Lippy and Young, and I have very few doubts about West.

random__hero

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Blackhawks, SF Giants, 49ers, Jazz
According to an article on the team site, Footscray will play 2 more games before finals (doesn’t specify opponents, guessing the draw will have to be reworked)

Finals to begin on Aug 28th

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
According to an article on the team site, Footscray will play 2 more games before finals (doesn’t specify opponents, guessing the draw will have to be reworked)

Finals to begin on Aug 28th
Absolute BS. You'd think with so much footy already missed due to lockdowns, you'd think they'd ditch any existing bye and just get as many games played as possible. Ughh

Any ‘Scray action this weekend?

Best to read the above articles but in short we play Collingwood (7th) on 28 August, but only if they are able to play the round. If not (or if we win that game) we finish top.

It's also possible they play the finals as a KO event with 1 v 8, 2 v 7 etc. So no double chance for the top sides but at least the benefit of being seeded against lower placed clubs.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some unconfirmed reports tonight that the VFL will go straight to a GF between Footscray and Box Hill on September 19th. Southport finished 2nd but won’t be able to travel.

Seems very strange as surely you just award no premier like with the AFLW last year. I guess we can at least claim minor premiers.

Last edited:
Back