Pies/GWS pick trade

Its a poor trade no matter what way you slice it. What will be top 5 pick for a few second rounders. That you have seemingly drafted well doesn’t change how sh*t the trade was.
For some context, in 2014 GWS took Ahern, Pickett and Marchbank in the top 6. Collingwood took Maynard at 30.

Whilst there’s no guarantee that history will repeat, I’m comfortable enough knowing Poulter is going to be a beauty, and I’m not overly enthralled with this years top prospects outside of Daicos, Horne and Darcy.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
For some context, in 2014 GWS took Ahern, Pickett and Marchbank in the top 6. Collingwood took Maynard at 30.

Whilst there’s no guarantee that history will repeat, I’m comfortable enough knowing Poulter is going to be a beauty, and I’m not overly enthralled with this years top prospects outside of Daicos, Horne and Darcy.

If you play that game you’ll lose 9 times out of 10. Petracca and JDG were also taken in that top 6.

Poulter is a beauty and I would’ve loved him at Carlton. Reef obviously came at a discount and has some talent. Henry looks more than handy. You should be pleased with your haul but I think even you can admit you did not get near enough value for the pick you’ll be giving away. No reason why it can’t work out though.

If you play that game you’ll lose 9 times out of 10. Petracca and JDG were also taken in that top 6.

Poulter is a beauty and I would’ve loved him at Carlton. Reef obviously came at a discount and has some talent. Henry looks more than handy. You should be pleased with your haul but I think even you can admit you did not get near enough value for the pick you’ll be giving away. No reason why it can’t work out though.
Value wise it was definitely below average by the numbers, but I remain bullish on the strategy given the players it ended up yielding from the 2020 crop.

Do you think the deal and all of its ramifications are settled already after 9 months?
There is plenty already known to suggest it's a poor trade.

Pick 5 is worth much more than picks 24 + 30, especially given this year you are looking at a serious points deficit for Daicos. Apart from yoruslef, even the most one-eyed of Collingwood fans aren;t happy with it.

Top that off with (effectively) Treloar + points + $300k pa for free and Stephenson for unders it was a disaster of a trade period last year.

Last year Carlton, St Kilda, West Coast, Richmond, Port and Dogs drafted 2 players. Gold Coast drafted one. Bulldogs and Saints elevated no rookies
Last year was a one-off due to Covid

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University

Pick 5 is worth much more than picks 24 + 30, especially given this year you are looking at a serious points deficit for Daicos. Apart from yoruslef, even the most one-eyed of Collingwood fans aren;t happy with it.

Top that off with (effectively) Treloar + points + $300k pa for free and Stephenson for unders it was a disaster of a trade period last year.
Serious points deficit? We’ll get a slight downgrade on our first round pick next season, worst case scenario. We’re not losing picks to the abyss either like plenty seem to think; we’re getting the #1 player in this year’s draft.

Nevertheless that’s not the point and I didn’t like the trade and don’t like it now. But you can’t judge an exchange of draft picks as being a bonafide win or loss less than a year after it’s happened. Poulter and McMahon might win All-Australian jackets, but according to the masses this trade will still be a loss, because the Pies didn’t maximise the value they got in return.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is what it is. We traded one pick for two players.

the one decent strategy the club had was to heavily access the 2020 draft, having identified a pool of players that might be worth something And possibly overlooked due to COVID. Every 2021 debutant has shown considerable promise (with a couple yet to come) including the players picked up from this swap trade.

Had we not done that trade and waited until 2021 we might have got better picks back given our ladder drop…. … but whether the talent was going to be there in another years time was questionable. Collingwood identified the players……and definitely recognised they had the urgent list need to rebuild….why wait???…. And now these kids have a year under their belt instead of Collingwood waiting another year.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood

We currently have pick 5 - draft point value of 1878, that is what we have given up. We would have been expecting that pick to be closer to a pick 8-12 (ie finish around 8th).

We traded it for 24, 30 and a future 4th - let's ignore the 4th as it is circa 40 draft points, and that is worth 1414 points - a deficit of circa 450 draft points, which equates to pick 39.

But the Pies then traded pick 24 to downgrade to 27 with Adelaide, who gave us a future 3rd - currently pick 41 (412 points) to move up last year.

We then traded pick 27 to Freo to drop back to down to 31 by picking up another future 3rd - currently pick 45 (347 points).

Those trades highlight how the Pies were purely in draft points space, whilst other clubs more interested in draft position.

So we managed to draft two kids in top30 last year that we wanted, and to do it we opted to lose 1100 2021 draft points...that were always going towards Daicos.

I hated the trade at the time and I still do, If the players we picked up turn out good, nice we got lucky, but it was still a dumb idea especially in that particular year

I think Collingwood actually did really well in last years draft. Poulter, Bianco, Henry, Macrae and Ginnivan is a pretty good draft haul.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I think Collingwood actually did really well in last years draft. Poulter, Bianco, Henry, Macrae and Ginnivan is a pretty good draft haul.
Bianco wasn't last year, but he does look a likely type.

COLLINGWOOD 2020 draft haul

National Draft:
#17 Oliver Henry (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
#19 Finlay Macrae (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
#23 Reef McInnes (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
#30 Caleb Poulter (Woodville-West Torrens/South Australia)
#31 Liam McMahon (Northern Knights/Vic Metro)
#44 Beau McCreery (South Adelaide/South Australia)

Rookies:
Jack Ginnivan (Bendigo Pioneers)
Isaac Chugg (Launceston)

MagicGnome97

All Australian
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
We currently have pick 5 - draft point value of 1878, that is what we have given up. We would have been expecting that pick to be closer to a pick 8-12 (ie finish around 8th).

We traded it for 24, 30 and a future 4th - let's ignore the 4th as it is circa 40 draft points, and that is worth 1414 points - a deficit of circa 450 draft points, which equates to pick 39.

But the Pies then traded pick 24 to downgrade to 27 with Adelaide, who gave us a future 3rd - currently pick 41 (412 points) to move up last year.

We then traded pick 27 to Freo to drop back to down to 31 by picking up another future 3rd - currently pick 45 (347 points).

Those trades highlight how the Pies were purely in draft points space, whilst other clubs more interested in draft position.

So we managed to draft two kids in top30 last year that we wanted, and to do it we opted to lose 1100 2021 draft points...that were always going towards Daicos.
1100 points is roughly equivalent to pick 15

if we finish with pick 4 its closer to 1250 so its like pick 12 for poulter and mcmahon effectively. i still think that is okay. obviously all depends on how good the players we got turn out. pick 3 is tight as its like giving up pick 9 of points for poulter and mcmahon. poulter was on many rankings pre draft as around 15 and getting mcmahon as well, thats probably just about worth it.

as long as we aren't bottom 2 its fine given collingwood are focused more so on draft points + ignoring gws benefitting (meaning they could be more of an obstacle long term with us trying to win a premiership). that nick daicos is likely going pick 2 at the lowest suggests that it will only really be a disaster if we traded a pick that we couldve used before daicos was bid on, ie: pick 1 or 2.

Kipz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2008
Zor*n's tissue pile
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gooners
What a dumb thread. Deep down everyone knows Collingwood won last year's draft and trade period. Treloar is someone we all got sick of kicking the ball blindly over his shoulder high in the air to no one (only became rated on here once Collingwood traded him I might add), Stephenson actually still wets the bed and sleeps with a night light on, Phillips is a list clogger and I can't even remember the other guys name we traded to North.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
except for Cameron; Shiel; Kennedy, A; Wilson; Townsend; Hombsch; Treloar; Dixon; McKenzie (and anyone I’ve missed from GC or GWS who were pre-listed and not drafted. Also the likes of Luke Brown and Jamie Elliott who were prelisted by us and traded to Adelaide & Collingwood - they were never drafted either.

the sentence should actually read “Almost every current player in the AFL has come through the draft system”

Back