Tom Hawkins dangerous tackle, Darragh Joyce concussed

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the main difference for me is Holman got Duncan while he was trying to kick the ball. Unreasonable for him to not attempt a tackle at that point.

Hawkins drives Joyce into the turf with both arms pinned *after* the ball has been handballed away. It's close, but it's late.
Hawkins doesn't have XRay vision and the tackling motion was made when Joyce had the ball. Play on nothing to see here.

I think the main difference for me is Holman got Duncan while he was trying to kick the ball. Unreasonable for him to not attempt a tackle at that point.

Hawkins drives Joyce into the turf with both arms pinned *after* the ball has been handballed away. It's close, but it's late.
It's not late. When Hawkins first makes contact with Joyce the ball is still touching his hand. Also, he was shaping to kick it, but handballed it at the last moment as he realised Hawkins was about to get him, so totally reasonable to attempt the tackle. The only difference to the Duncan one was that Duncan didn't realise he was about to get tackled so he was still committed to the kick and held onto the ball longer.

* me there is some bullshit being pedalled here.

1. by certain precedents I wouldn’t be unhappy if he got a week. By the precedent that saw Duncan knocked out a few months back he shouldn’t get any. 0-1 weeks either way I am fine with.

2. ‘he drove him into the turf’ has bee posted a few times. No he didn’t. Share your opinion all you want but comment accurately. He dragged him down, Hawkins’ size meant that the tackled player’s head hit he turf after the rest of him did. Stop making up facts to fit the narrative.

3. ‘He didn’t have the ball’
Yes he did. When hawkins makes contact with him he had the ball. What should he do, bail out of the tackle ‘in case he gets rid of it before I complete the tackle.’? It’s there in pixelated colour.
976163C1-72EB-4C02-98EC-F658D0103084.png

4. ‘he was stationary.’ The footage is literally there in a video for anyone to look at. It cant be mistaken for him being stationary - why? Because he isn’t. He’s taking a step as Hawkins gets to him and makes contact. He has a foot off the ground. So unless he’s being a statue in the middle of a field with 35 other players running around him, he’s moving, not stationary.

Speculate all you want that he might deserve a suspension. At least do it based on visible, easy to access facts.

no he doesn’t. He moves forward, gets his hands and arms around Joyce while he still has the ball. What should he do? He is behind him, he can’t see through him. He can’t go ‘oh s**t I’m halfway through a tackle better let him go on the off chance that he’s already hand passed.

no he doesn’t. He moves forward, gets his hands and arms around Joyce while he still has the ball. What should he do? He is behind him, he can’t see through him. He can’t go ‘oh sh*t I’m halfway through a tackle better let him go on the off chance that he’s already hand passed.
Yep-I expect alternate universe stuff from the chronically insecure Richmond and Hawthorn supporters, but swans, well, I expect some common sense. ;)

The naivety of some people thinking this is fairplay when its quite clearly someone trying to drive a player 10 feet into the ground under the guise of being a fair tackle.

As the rules stand it makes sense that he doesn't get suspended but lets not pretend that we can't see whats actually happening in this incident.

The naivety of some people thinking this is fairplay when its quite clearly someone trying to drive a player 10 feet into the ground under the guise of being a fair tackle.
LOL.

Holman precedent meant he would have gotten off, regardless of if he got 1 or 2 weeks from the MRO. Am surprised that Christian didn't do the whole song and dance and then have the tribunal overturn it - as they did with Holman, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the rules stand it makes sense that he doesn't get suspended but lets not pretend that we can't see whats actually happening in this incident.

Still not naïve enough to actually swallow this post.

As a few Geelong posters stated throughout the game, Hawkins was on the angry pills last night and had every intention of driving Joyce into the ground. The bloke is an absolute dog (see his report history).

no surprise another Geelong player gets off though really

yeah no surprise the current most regularly suspended player in the league gets off 😂

stop and read what you’re writing before you post.

yeah no surprise the current most regularly suspended player in the league gets off 😂

stop and read what you’re writing before you post.

ever wonder why he gets reported so much?

I also said ‘Geelong players got off’, not specifying Hawkins. That’s 3 Geelong players in 2 weeks, 2 of whom should’ve been missing matches.

As a few Geelong posters stated throughout the game, Hawkins was on the angry pills last night and had every intention of driving Joyce into the ground. The bloke is an absolute dog (see his report history).

no surprise another Geelong player gets off though really

PrOtEcTeD sPeCiEs

D990AE6A-A2D2-4A5C-97D1-DE15E6F1AE64.jpeg

Absurd comment about one of the best tackles of the year. Sometimes i think the AFL is better off without crowds altogether, they should have an intelligence passport to get in?

Common sense prevails, the tackle is saved and we can stop wasting time as the AFL work out where the bloody finals will be played and they won't be in MELBOURNE! He never got cited and nor should he, it was always a great tackle.

Holman precedent meant he would have gotten off, regardless of if he got 1 or 2 weeks from the MRO. Am surprised that Christian didn't do the whole song and dance and then have the tribunal overturn it - as they did with Holman, though.

Do precedents actually mean anything? Only have to look at Fritsch and Greene from last week.

I'm surprised he didn't get a week, but not surprised at the same time.

Do precedents actually mean anything? Only have to look at Fritsch and Greene from last week.

I'm surprised he didn't get a week, but not surprised at the same time.

No arguments here. MRO/Tribunal is so broken, it's not funny. They need a complete overhaul this off-season, or it'll just keep getting that much worse, season after season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back