Review Round 22, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Every time a player comes back from a lengthy injury, it seems that there is inevitably disappointment and criticism about how the player has performed first up. Or second up.

A few here were on J Berry's back since he came back into the side, forgetting what a valuable contributor he's been when fit and firing. Last night he was good, without being back to his best.

Also some pretty unfair comments about Lachie over the year in a season where he has had multiple injury issues.

Gardiner is easily best 22 but also seems to have come in for some criticism for making poor decisions and numerous mistakes. TBH, I thought he was OK. I'll have to have a look at a replay but from memory, I can't remember any absolute howlers that cost us on the scoreboard. Unlike Andrews, who had two terrible skill errors that cost two goals,

People sometimes have short memories about how well returning players perform when they are truly match fit.

If we are playing our best 22 coming into finals , we have to accept that it's going to take a match or two to bring them up to scratch when they come back into the side
He will be better for the run, noticeably rusty as expected, will only get better from here.
Glad to have him back.

Great to see Jarrod Berry getting nearer his best form, could come in very handy if needed to play close attention to some opposition big bodied midfielders during the finals eg. Danger, Bont, Petracca, Wines.

not sure Joe Rucked at all. McStay did a few times forward
Lester be stiff to be dropped although we really need Adams back.
Birchall starting to get caught out defensively still.. Cannot see Birchall dropped for Adams though.

not sure Joe Rucked at all. McStay did a few times forward
Lester be stiff to be dropped although we really need Adams back.
Birchall starting to get caught out defensively still.. Cannot see Birchall dropped for Adams though.
Only way that happens is if Birchall is (rested) because the AFL make the decision to have no pre finals bye.

Dan McStay has gone to the next level.

And that unfair tag he had as a dodgy set shot for goal seems to have finally been removed.

He's kicked beautifully for goal for two years now

If my calculations are correct, he's 26.9 this season
Set shot after the full time siren 30 meters out straight in front in the Grand Final, who you want taking it?

Dan has been fantastic this season but I still think I'd prefer Zac Bailey or Lincoln McCarthy take that shot.

Set shot after the full time siren 30 meters out straight in front in the Grand Final, who you want taking it?

Dan has been fantastic this season but I still think I'd prefer Zac Bailey or Lincoln McCarthy take that shot.
Or maybe Cal AhChee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give it to Joe so we all have collective heart attacks while he lines up.

McCluggage. Let him stare this one down and win it for us.

Or Cal or Nakia

There were a lot of positives from last night and overall a very good team game.

There were negatives however and for me they were at the back.

- if Payne had turned the ball over multiple times like Andrews did there would be howls for his head. Defensively there was also a few mistakes especially early. Harris needs to do better against better opposition.

- people have been very charitable about Gardner’s game. To say he was rusty is a huge understatement. Positioning was often poor and mistakes were plentiful. Actually lucky not to concede more than he did. He needs to regain match form quickly or he will be a liability like he was a few years ago.

- I am not one who has called for Birchall to be sacked in recent weeks but yesterday two goals came directly from him trailing 5 meters behind his opponent. Too slow and effort lacking on those occasions.

The majority of the Collingwood goals came from these three. Not what you would be hoping from these three given their experience.
Can’t criticise Andrews or Gardiner around these parts, people don’t like their sacred cows being shown up.

Can’t criticise Andrews or Gardiner around these parts, people don’t like their sacred cows being shown up.

Dizzy is first game back - if you are going to criticize a player who has worked their ring off to overcome injury the first time they take to the park, you really don't get what's involved in his return.

Andrews blew two short passes, with pretty crap consequences that definately hurt. But who would you have replace him? Ditch him for Adams? Can't see that being a better balance.

Dizzy is first game back - if you are going to criticize a player who has worked their ring off to overcome injury the first time they take to the park, you really don't get what's involved in his return.

Andrews blew two short passes, with pretty crap consequences that definately hurt. But who would you have replace him? Ditch him for Adams? Can't see that being a better balance.
I’ve been vocal about what I view as both players weaknesses for a long time.

Would you say you've been SHOUTED DOWN when criticising Andrews?

Back